Wikiposts

Ye olde words

Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:41 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ye olde words

From: http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.as...ntid=149732130

An A-Z of ye olde words, included within the first mass-produced dictionary of 1755, which have gone into seclusion, but I think could make a welcome return:

Anatiferous: a barnacle that produces ducks or geese. It was once thought that a particular kind of growth on trees was responsible for the creation of water-based wildfowl. Superstition said that when the barnacle reached a certain size it would drop off, and if it fell into water it would turn into a duck or a goose. (Not really sure how I'd drop that one into conversation...)

Buffleheaded: a man with a large head, or someone who is dull and stupid.

Circumferoneous: to stroll around your neighbourhood from house from house.

Dandiprat: an urchin.

Eftsoons: soon afterwards, or repeatedly.

Fribbler: a verb to describe someone who is vocal in their appreciation of women, but who is also nervous of their consent. For example: "He fribbled his colleague in front of everyone in the office, and then backed off as soon as he noticed she was interested."

Giglet: a wanton, lascivious girl, from the Middle English word 'gigelot'.

Hunkers: your haunches.

Impecunious: penniless.

Jobbernowl: an idiot.

Kakistocracy: a form of government whose rulers are the least competent, least qualified or most unprincipled of all citizens.

Lustrum: a period of five years.

Merrythought: a wishbone.

Nidget: a fool, or coward.

Odontalgick: a toothache.

Parbreak: to throw out, or to vomit.

Queer street: a tricky situation, such as being in debt or bankruptcy. For example: "If this goes on much longer, I'll be in queer street."

Runnion: a mangy or ill-kempt creature (can also be 'ronion' or 'ronyon').

Snudge: a verb, meaning to be idle. For example: "She snudged around the house until teatime."

Trug: a long, shallow basket for carrying flowers or fruit.

Urinator: a diver; one who searches under water.

Vellicate: a medical term for a substance or medicine that has a sharp or acrid effect; or anything that nips or pinches the body (from the Latin 'vellere', meaning to pull, pluck, or twitch).

Warray: a verb, meaning to make war. For example: "This country means to warray upon France".

Xenoglossia: an ability claimed by some mediums and clairvoyants to speak a language with which they are unfamiliar.

Younker: a young gentleman or knight.

Zounds: a mild oath indicating indignation or surprise; derived from the 16th century oath 'God's wounds'.

Zounds! Seems there be some buffleheaded jobbernowls and dandiprats snudging their circumferoneous way around this forum of late!
Not enough of those eftsoon giglets, yet too many I dare say, of those runnions or fribblers sat on their hunkers parbreaking an' vellicating all o'er the place!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ye olde words

It makes you realise just how dull language is now. Personally I always loved the word Guttersnipe (a street urchin or person of a lower social class). What a great word - bring it back I say!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:50 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
From: http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.as...ntid=149732130

An A-Z of ye olde words, included within the first mass-produced dictionary of 1755, which have gone into seclusion, but I think could make a welcome return:

Anatiferous: a barnacle that produces ducks or geese. It was once thought that a particular kind of growth on trees was responsible for the creation of water-based wildfowl. Superstition said that when the barnacle reached a certain size it would drop off, and if it fell into water it would turn into a duck or a goose. (Not really sure how I'd drop that one into conversation...)

Buffleheaded: a man with a large head, or someone who is dull and stupid.

Circumferoneous: to stroll around your neighbourhood from house from house.

Dandiprat: an urchin.

Eftsoons: soon afterwards, or repeatedly.

Fribbler: a verb to describe someone who is vocal in their appreciation of women, but who is also nervous of their consent. For example: "He fribbled his colleague in front of everyone in the office, and then backed off as soon as he noticed she was interested."

Giglet: a wanton, lascivious girl, from the Middle English word 'gigelot'.

Hunkers: your haunches.

Impecunious: penniless.

Jobbernowl: an idiot.

Kakistocracy: a form of government whose rulers are the least competent, least qualified or most unprincipled of all citizens.

Lustrum: a period of five years.

Merrythought: a wishbone.

Nidget: a fool, or coward.

Odontalgick: a toothache.

Parbreak: to throw out, or to vomit.

Queer street: a tricky situation, such as being in debt or bankruptcy. For example: "If this goes on much longer, I'll be in queer street."

Runnion: a mangy or ill-kempt creature (can also be 'ronion' or 'ronyon').

Snudge: a verb, meaning to be idle. For example: "She snudged around the house until teatime."

Trug: a long, shallow basket for carrying flowers or fruit.

Urinator: a diver; one who searches under water.

Vellicate: a medical term for a substance or medicine that has a sharp or acrid effect; or anything that nips or pinches the body (from the Latin 'vellere', meaning to pull, pluck, or twitch).

Warray: a verb, meaning to make war. For example: "This country means to warray upon France".

Xenoglossia: an ability claimed by some mediums and clairvoyants to speak a language with which they are unfamiliar.

Younker: a young gentleman or knight.

Zounds: a mild oath indicating indignation or surprise; derived from the 16th century oath 'God's wounds'.

Zounds! Seems there be some buffleheaded jobbernowls and dandiprats snudging their circumferoneous way around this forum of late!
Not enough of those eftsoon giglets, yet too many I dare say, of those runnions or fribblers sat on their hunkers parbreaking an' vellicating all o'er the place!
Obviously you watched the show on the History Channel about the history of English? It was interesting to see how English developed over the centuries, in both written and oral forms. I was quite surprised to find that a vast percentage of words we use today originated from India.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Fantastic words most of them and some of them are still used.My grandma would often talk of `being on Queer Street` ............

Some are used in Shakespears plays.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:58 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wilgar;7937276].My grandma would often talk of `being on Queer Street` ............ [QUOTE]

Your Gran been to Kings Cross in Sydney?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Perish the thought! She would say things like`If I don`t get such & such done I`ll be on Queer Street`! Or ` If you don`t pas your exams you`ll be on Queer Street`!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Wilgar
Perish the thought! She would say things like`If I don`t get such & such done I`ll be on Queer Street`! Or ` If you don`t pas your exams you`ll be on Queer Street`!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry. just logged back on and was going to delete it. In hindsight, it was inappropiate wit. Knew it was old English saying.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:09 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Love 'urinator'
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

No 'clunge'.

I'm disappointed.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Love 'urinator'
Get a grip you giglet!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
No 'clunge'.

I'm disappointed.
There is "cludgy" in Scots tongue...
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
There is "cludgy" in Scots tongue...
Does it mean the same?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

Gad zooks! A bastardisation of God's hooks, in reference to the crucifiction.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spartacus
Does it mean the same?
It means toilet.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
It means toilet.
Ah . . . not the same.

I still use 'queer street' . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.