Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it wrong? Not technically allowed a cat in rental, but really want one

Wikiposts

Is it wrong? Not technically allowed a cat in rental, but really want one

Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it wrong? Not technically allowed a cat in rental, but really want one

I agree with everyone else, ASK. Do as you would be done by. If I was renting a house I would be very concerned about letting someone move a new cat in, one they already had would be fine, but I have seen cats do lots of damage (far more than most dogs) and would be very concerned about my house.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:46 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it wrong? Not technically allowed a cat in rental, but really want one

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I have seen cats do lots of damage (far more than most dogs) and would be very concerned about my house.
Really ? I have been in houses with "dog stink" and that's almost impossible to get rid of, plus dog owners are indoctrinated to not smell it and even come to love it. Most other people gag.

Seriously, as long as your cat is "trained" house cat their are mostly spotless and extremely clean creatures. The only concern is scratching and that is down to the owner to ensure their claws are clipped once a month to stop them getting to the point where they need to scratch.

Either way, it's still not your house.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I think you got your answer.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:34 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have the no pets clause for my house I'm renting out as I have a serious allergy to anything with fur or feathers and would end up in hospital with asthma so definitely ask
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:37 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Really ? I have been in houses with "dog stink" and that's almost impossible to get rid of, plus dog owners are indoctrinated to not smell it and even come to love it. Most other people gag.

Seriously, as long as your cat is "trained" house cat their are mostly spotless and extremely clean creatures. The only concern is scratching and that is down to the owner to ensure their claws are clipped once a month to stop them getting to the point where they need to scratch.

Either way, it's still not your house.
We told the agent about our cat straight away as it was 'at their discretion', the agent told us as Gordon stays indoors then it wont be a problem, something about neighbours complaining of cats crapping in their garden or something.

But we invested 2 cat scratch posts for the cat, and the only thing he chews is my denim jacket.

Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:59 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

If caught with an animal that is not allowed it will be reported on your rental record and it could make renting in future very difficult. This record is checked for every new tenant (by landlord/rental management) and a black mark can be a huge disadvantage. Especially in the current market where there are numerous applications on a property and the landlord can be very particular.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I have the no pets clause for my house I'm renting out as I have a serious allergy to anything with fur or feathers and would end up in hospital with asthma so definitely ask
As someone else with an allergy to some cats (just random ones, there's no logic in it!) and to fleas, I would be very annoyed to find that a supposed "pet-free" house had been occupied by animals. Some rental places will insist on flea treatments and extra cleaning if pets have lived there, whereas if they think the place has always been pet-free they are happy with an ordinary carpet clean.
To the OP - think of the people that own the place, and the people that come after you, please.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:18 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the many opinions. I never thought of the allergy one so I am glad I asked.

Guess I will ask in a month or so once we have been established as good tenants.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Thanks for the many opinions. I never thought of the allergy one so I am glad I asked.

Guess I will ask in a month or so once we have been established as good tenants.
...Which is fair enough They may well be OK with it on the grounds that you do the extra cleaning etc. ANd if the next tenants know that you had a cat they can make a decision on that basis.