British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   would you still apply for OZ citizenship if.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/would-you-still-apply-oz-citizenship-if-740360/)

Astrid Nov 29th 2011 6:35 am

would you still apply for OZ citizenship if....

Just out of curiosity; do you Brits think it would be as "easy" to become Australian citizens, if you weren't able to still keep your British citizenship?

Like if you lost it automatically if you got your OZ one....

I am asking since it would be a huge isue for us, and not easy at all, since we would loose our Danish citizenship forever, if we applied for (and got) an Australian citizenship, as we don't have double citizenship as an option in Denmark....
I am not sure I would be ready for this at all, not ever being able to go back and live (or die) if I felt like it in the future for whatever reason.

What do you think?

renth Nov 29th 2011 6:36 am

Re: would you still apply for OZ citizenship if....

No, wouldn't do it if I lost British citizenship.

DeadVim Nov 29th 2011 7:00 am

Yup, my family is here and I don't plan living elsewhere.

Easy to say when it isn't on the line though ... :unsure:

Wendy Nov 29th 2011 7:01 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9759637)
Yup, my family is here and I don't plan living elsewhere.

Easy to say when it isn't on the line though ... :unsure:

same here :)

roaringmouse Nov 29th 2011 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Astrid (Post 9759592)
I am asking since it would be a huge isue for us, and not easy at all, since we would loose our Danish citizenship forever, if we applied for (and got) an Australian citizenship, as we don't have double citizenship as an option in Denmark....

According to Wikipedia (and this point has an external reference), the new government of Denmark might introduce dual citizenship capability.

elice_in_oz Nov 29th 2011 7:25 am

I am French and I don't think I would have taken Australian citizenship if I'd had to give up the French one.

quoll Nov 29th 2011 7:44 am

Nope, not in a million years

Turban Explorer Nov 29th 2011 7:46 am

That's not even worth answering

Pomster Nov 29th 2011 10:17 am

Malaysia does not offer dual citizenship.
I have a fair number of Malaysian friends who have no intention of going back, but will not relinquish their Malaysian passports and just retain PR.

It is cheaper to renew just one passport though!

Astrid Nov 29th 2011 11:26 am

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 9759639)
According to Wikipedia (and this point has an external reference), the new government of Denmark might introduce dual citizenship capability.

I know, we will see;)

The Squire of Onchan Nov 29th 2011 1:43 pm

The thought of relinquishing my British passport would definately have a bearing. I'm immensely proud to be British, we are a special group of Islands.

I'd say no to the application if this was a policy mandate.

Fortunately, along with my wife and kids, I'm a time served 'Manx Aussie' with dual nationality.

It feels good.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 29th 2011 6:32 pm

No

soapy© Nov 29th 2011 6:47 pm

if asked a couple of years ago i would have said no!
now it wouldnt bother me. inside i know i will always be scottish and thats all that matters ;)

jothefw Nov 29th 2011 9:55 pm

We had a teacher at our school a couple of years ago and she was from Zimbabwe. So was her husband, all her family were in Australia too. She'd often tell us of the horrors of home, shortages of basic food items, need for armed protection etc.

We all could completely understand why they'd moved over here.

1 year later, she'd had her first child ... she'd become an Australian however her husband decided not to, no dual option in Zimbabwe either. 6 months after that imagine our surprise when she told us she was heading home! Imagine taking a young child back to such a high risk place!

Anyway it goes to show, sometimes you can never pick what people decide to do. It's easy for us to say, why?

But it did bring up an interesting discussion, with a country as "unstable" as Zimbabwe - I'd feel very reluctant to be a "different" nationality to my husband, or my child. What if they suddenly kick out all non nationals? It doesn't bare thinking about.

I like my dual nationality! :thumbsup:

don544 Nov 29th 2011 10:59 pm

Yes. I live in Australia now, no intention of ever going back to the UK.