Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you do this with your kids?

Would you do this with your kids?

Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you do this with your kids?

Just after some input here as myself and OH disagree on something regarding the kids.

I have two girls, 11 1/2 and 9, and we live in a nice family area in Bris in a quiet street about three minutes walk away from the school. They currently walk to and from school by themselves.

I'm at uni so i'm just looking at my timetable coming up and I won't be able to get home til 4ish on a few days during the week. OH says I should let them walk home from school, let themselves in with key and do their homework for an hour until I get home. They've always gone to after school care in the past so I'm a bit iffy about it but I know I'm going to have to let them at some stage - eldest is at high school next year so really needs to start learning a bit more independence and autonomy (I'm sure we all did it from about 6 onwards! ).

Not even sure of the legalities, but what age would you let your kids be home alone, for an hour?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

ghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant future
Default Re: Would you do this with your kids?

Originally Posted by rabsody
Just after some input here as myself and OH disagree on something regarding the kids.

I have two girls, 11 1/2 and 9, and we live in a nice family area in Bris in a quiet street about three minutes walk away from the school. They currently walk to and from school by themselves.

I'm at uni so i'm just looking at my timetable coming up and I won't be able to get home til 4ish on a few days during the week. OH says I should let them walk home from school, let themselves in with key and do their homework for an hour until I get home. They've always gone to after school care in the past so I'm a bit iffy about it but I know I'm going to have to let them at some stage - eldest is at high school next year so really needs to start learning a bit more independence and autonomy (I'm sure we all did it from about 6 onwards! ).

Not even sure of the legalities, but what age would you let your kids be home alone, for an hour?
firstly, kids are the spawn of goat's, so i presume you mean children
we all done it at an early age, but i should now imagine it could be dodgy,
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

I think in your situation I would also be a little concerned - they are probably more than able to care for themselves for the one hour - granted - but accidents do happen and if an adult isn't there to act quickly - just my opinion - maybe if you have good neighbours then your kids could have an emergency plan where they go home alone and let them selves in - but should anything happen (emergency) then they go straight to a neighbour???
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There are some children who should not ever be allowed out on their own at 20 whereas there are others who are quite competent at 6. If you have an emergency plan like Sas recommended you should be OK.

Mine were latchkey kids - the youngest from the age of 6 (but then he always was an independent and stubborn little tyke). We had a rule where they always rang one of us when they walked in the house so we wouldnt be wondering where they were. We also did the Protective Behaviours "what if" scenarios with them. I always believed in giving them the experience of being independent whilst structuring things so they were quite safe. I let them both fly independently to Melbourne at 5 and one of them went to UK on his own at 9 (to grandparents).
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Exact same situation with my eldest, 11. Gets off the school bus at 4.15. OH is dead set against him being left on his own, I think it might be 'character building'. So for the moment I finish work early to be there.

I was speaking to someone who said it was illegal to leave children 'home alone' under the age of 12. Whether or not this is true I have no idea.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:19 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as there is a neighbour / friend locally that they can turn to in case of emergency, then I'm sure there'll be fine. Accidents can happen even if you're there.
What do your children think? Would they be happy to be alone in the house for an hour?
I have a friend accross the road from me, and we look after each other's children if we want to nip out. The children know they can go over the road if they need anything. It's only like me nipping over to hers for a coffee and leaving them in the house.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I think an hour would be ok, as long as they have someone to turn to if need be.
If the eldest is sensible, then i would be fine with it. But some 11 year olds are worse then 5 year old's...depends on how mature you feel she is too.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:55 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is 10 and has been walking home and letting herself in for a while and enjoys the responsibly.

I don’t think that there is legal age to leave children; I think it depends on the kids.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It totally depends on the children. Have you discussed it with them? They may say 'absolutely no way' in which case it doesn't happen. If they are happy to try it and only you know if they are sensible then have a trial period. Do they have a mobile phone? When my eldest started walking to and from school in the UK (a 30 min walk) she had to phone me when she arrived in the morning and when she was leaving in the afternoon which she was happy to do.

I would trust my girls but I know some children who can't be trusted at 15 and 17 because they are space cadets
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus

I was speaking to someone who said it was illegal to leave children 'home alone' under the age of 12. Whether or not this is true I have no idea.
Apparently that's bollox.

http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/fa...alone.html#law
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:52 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have kids - so I'm perhaps not the best qualified to comment.....but I will anyway....

COMMENT 1:
I think it depends on the kids, some are more capable than others....

COMMENT 2:
I think that perhaps this will teach them some independence and how to look after themselves, even something simple like getting home and raiding the fridge and choosing how to spend the afternoon is a good step towards making future decisions and becoming a responsible adult - I think kids that are 'babied' there whole lives are a lot less mature when then get to the age when the leave to go to uni or whatever.

COMMENT 3:
My mum worked as a chef/cook in restaurant and my dad did shift work...so from the age of about 11-12 me and my brother were left at home to look after ourselves (usually under the supervision of a neighbour, and initially for an hour or two between mum leaving and dad getting home,. later it was for entire evenings). It was the best thing ever...mum and dad set some rules and tasks we have to complete (all homework, all washing up, whatever) and we then had to decide how we would do all this (would we share the tasks, would I do them all one week and my brother another, would we do all the tasks in the first half hour then watch cartoons all night!!).

COMMENT 4:
Is childcare/after school care really a better environment??

FINAL COMMENT:
If you come home one day and your house is on fire, you know you made the wrong decision!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
FINAL COMMENT:
If you come home one day and your house is on fire, you know you made the wrong decision!
LOL dont remind me - on consecutive days no less - age about 12 DS2 was doing a cooking project for his school winter project and on day 1 he boiled dry a steamed pudding (did you know that they look like charcoal if you leave them long enough?). The second day I arrived home to find him cleaning greasy black stains off the ceiling - did you know that you cannot make eucalyptus drops by heating eucalyptus oil in a saucepan? No? Believe me, you cannot and it takes months of painstaking cleaning to get the marks off the ceiling!

Just say "no cooking" in the rules and you should be OK though!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=quoll;5962306] - did you know that you cannot make eucalyptus drops by heating eucalyptus oil in a saucepan? No? Believe me, you cannot and it takes months of painstaking cleaning to get the marks off the ceiling! /QUOTE]

Bet it smelled nice though My girls, when first allowed to be home alone were only allowed to watch tv - how cruel am I? or do homework
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It totally depends on the children. Have you discussed it with them? They may say 'absolutely no way' in which case it doesn't happen. If they are happy to try it and only you know if they are sensible then have a trial period. Do they have a mobile phone?
Yes, I've discussed it with them, they would jump at the chance! They hassled me for ages about walking to and from school before I let them. They don't have a mobile, we're worried about the 'slippery slope' with mobiles (heard too many horror stories with ridiculous bills) and leaving it until eldest is at high school next year. Maybe I should review this stance with the changed circumstances.

Originally Posted by spartacus
Thanks spartacus, that's a really useful website.

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
FINAL COMMENT:
How very reassuring! Thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
My daughter is 10 and has been walking home and letting herself in for a while and enjoys the responsibly.
It's good to know others do this, I think my two would enjoy the responsbility.

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
As long as there is a neighbour / friend locally that they can turn to in case of emergency, then I'm sure there'll be fine. Accidents can happen even if you're there.
What do your children think? Would they be happy to be alone in the house for an hour?
I have a friend accross the road from me, and we look after each other's children if we want to nip out. The children know they can go over the road if they need anything. It's only like me nipping over to hers for a coffee and leaving them in the house.
Most of my neighbours are out at work all day but their grandma lives not far from our place and she's home a fair bit. My OH also works from home quite a bit so would be there some of the time.

Originally Posted by quoll
There are some children who should not ever be allowed out on their own at 20 whereas there are others who are quite competent at 6. If you have an emergency plan like Sas recommended you should be OK.

Mine were latchkey kids - the youngest from the age of 6 (but then he always was an independent and stubborn little tyke). ).
Thanks, I think you are right Quoll. I take the view they will never learn unless I give them the opportunity to .... it's just a bit scary giving them the chance! I was a latchkey myself, "looking after" my other three siblings (i.e. beating the cr*p out of them every night LOL!).
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for your replies, I appreciate it.

I think I will go for it. Eldest can be a bit ditzy but if I lay down some very specific ground rules, arm them with all the contact numbers under the sun and use of an old mobile, I think they will be fine.

I guess I've gotta start letting them have more responsbility some time

Thanks again all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.