Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you do it all again?

View Poll Results: WOuld you do it all again? (emigrate that is)
Yes
57.80%
Jury is still out on that one
8.26%
I'll let you know when I've done it for the first time!
2.75%
Yes but to somewhere other than Australia
6.42%
No
14.68%
You having a giraffe? I'd rather crawl round the desert with a mouthful of rocks
10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Would you do it all again?

Old May 2nd 2011, 12:54 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you do it all again?

Definitely.

Of all the bizarre decisions I've made in my life, this one has turned out the best (thus far)
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:08 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Would you do it all again?

Yes, but at least 2 years earlier.
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Yes for sure! but i would have done it 4 years earlier when my eldest son was at an age where he wouldnt have been at Uni and decided to stay in UK! Coming to Australia is the one crazy thing I have done in life which I have no regrets over
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:36 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. To both times.
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:49 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - would of liked to come home after the 4 years planned on 457 but got carried away and husband wanted to stay.
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

No, economics don't make sense now plus the kids are all 8 years older and it's not fair to move them.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can it be that it was all so simple then
or has time rewritten every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
tell me would we? Could we?

As Barbra Streisand says, if you could do it all again......would you? Emigrate that is........
Sorry but am I the only one not to know how to answer this (Blonde day today!)

Emigration for us is a success, into our 5th year so think it's safe to say that.

Would I emigrate somewhere else though? No. No. No.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

6 years in, yes, regardless of any prevailing mood/conditions.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:05 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can it be that it was all so simple then
or has time rewritten every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
tell me would we? Could we?

As Barbra Streisand says, if you could do it all again......would you? Emigrate that is........
Absolutely! - just not here.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:20 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but not here.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:25 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pproehann
Yes to the country and the job and lifestyle for me and the son but no to the rest. Had I been aware of all factors before i emmigrated I'd have stayed at home with supportive family and friends. Personally, I find a lot of the people you meet here or just not of the calibre of the ones you left behind. But, as i'd gave up a good job in UK that I can't return to and sold a house I would never get back at the price I paid for it, I'm stuck here making the most of it so just as well it's a nice country with plenty of things to do.
I would say in that statement my experiences here parallels it. Except for I refuse to believe or even say that I am stuck here. If that were the case I would end it now. But there are far too many other places yet to experience, there are some real gems on this planet - Palau, Cortona, Victoria, Hawaii... So at present I'll be patient and build my options base and keep my eye on the time when I can pull the pin on this place, shake the dust from my feet as I enter the plane and making sure I don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out...
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, not knowing what I know now, absobloodylutely not.
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:26 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, but at least 2 years earlier.
Not trying to be funny but are you referring to England or Australia?
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, on balance I feel as though I have lost more than I have gained by moving here - I am talking emotionally and spiritually rather than financially. I came to Australia when I was younger to please my now ex husband which with the benefit of hindsight and maturity was not the right thing to do.
Having said that; I don't hate the place - I make the best of the life I have here but it has never been 'home'.
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely yes, the right decision, just wish I'd done it 5 years ago, then again I'd not have met my OH so it's been the right time for us both.

Since moving here I have never felt so free in all of my life - free from the politics of a very messed up country, from a family situation which was incredibly unhealthy for all involved, and from a work situation that was, in the end, going to drive me insane, LITERALLY! And no, before anyone jumps in, I didn't move to Australia to run away from all of these things, I made a huge amount of sacrifice too, some of the things I gave up I'll never ever forget. However, I feel I'm in a much better place emotionally, geographically and financially, than I have been for a long time.

God Bless Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.