Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you Buy a House right now !!!!

Would you Buy a House right now !!!!

Old May 23rd 2010, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would you Buy a House right now !!!!

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I am staggered by such ignorance
Excuse me?
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:54 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paularn
Excuse me?
You confused or upset?

If your going to post such utter trash accept the responses

By all means accept that money is not everything and some will ignore the concept of market value to ensure they have control.

But to dillude one self of such basic financial awareness is beyound my comprehension. Such the success of Nigerian advisors I suppose

Perhaps more common an attribute found above mexican border
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
100% agree, interest only mortgage is the same as renting, except the bank is your landlord.
yeah but they dont come round every six months and complain about the rings on your cooker
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Margaret3
yeah but they dont come round every six months and complain about the rings on your cooker
Also a landlord can kick you out even if you've never missed a payment.

If you own your home as long as you keep paying you can stay. Unlike renting where the owner can decide to move, be unreasonable, etc. For those reasons (lack of stability & freedom) I will always choose to buy. I don't consider buying a risky thing if you intend to live in it and make it your home for the long term.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

May be I'm just lucky. I've been renting for 16 years with none of the problems you mention above.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by No 15
Oh for goodness sake get a grip. I've put up shelves in rental properties. Some owners have liked them and we've left them. One owner asked us to remove and we did. It's not difficult to fill holes in walls you know.

PS We too have cash and won't need a mortgage when we eventually decide to buy (a home, not a "property"). At the moment we are saving even more money by happily renting.
gotta agree with Hebe, we are in a horrendous rental just now, we cant do ANYTHING at all, am actually surprised they let us move our furniture in before examining it, just had the rental inspection from hell last week, place was immaculate (and i not exaggerating), estate agent complaint that the cooker rings were burnt!!! ffs , its a cooker, she even took a photo of them and asked us to replace them !!
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
May be I'm just lucky. I've been renting for 16 years with none of the problems you mention above.
There are such things as bad tenants as well. Especially those that think in terms like they are paying the landlords mortgage. You must be a good tenant!
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by IndieG

I agree.
Never had any trouble from any landlord or estate agents and we have been renting for 10 years (minus a few years when we actually did have a mortgage, which at the time was a huge mistake).
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:05 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
You confused or upset?

If your going to post such utter trash accept the responses

By all means accept that money is not everything and some will ignore the concept of market value to ensure they have control.

But to dillude one self of such basic financial awareness is beyound my comprehension. Such the success of Nigerian advisors I suppose

Perhaps more common an attribute found above mexican border
WTF are you on about?
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see rent as dead money, I just see it as a living cost same as many other things.

But I don't want to rent for too long, I want to be able to do what I like to the property, make it feel like my home and I want to know that I will only have to leave when I am ready to leave. I also have the pet thing to worry about with renting.
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Also a landlord can kick you out even if you've never missed a payment.

If you own your home as long as you keep paying you can stay. Unlike renting where the owner can decide to move, be unreasonable, etc. For those reasons (lack of stability & freedom) I will always choose to buy. I don't consider buying a risky thing if you intend to live in it and make it your home for the long term.
Yeah and the signed rental agreement contract appears to be pretty flexible in favor of the landlord/rental agency. Ours stipulates that inspections are to be held every 3 months. Well, the last two inspections, the agency tried moving them forward...first by 3 weeks then by 4 weeks. I had to phone them both times to complain that 3 months is more or less 12 weeks, not 8 weeks...and I didn't appreciate that because of their new "schedule," they've added two inspections a year more. After a lot of protest, they did reschedule. But they said it wasn't convenient for them to come out when they were supposed to. I guess it's supposed to be convenient for me to have to prepare for inspection every 2 months instead.
Old May 24th 2010, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

We didn't get it went over our budget!!! the search continues
Old May 24th 2010, 8:39 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Better luck next time
Old May 27th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

For me, renting is always better than buying. We live in a globalized world today which means an average person lives in many cities, countries during his/her life. Shifting places, jobs, etc is always easy when you are living in the rented house. Why to commit our money to a market (real estate) which is more of a gamble.. Suppose you put your hard earned money into a buying a house now and after a year when the market deflates, it will only give you sorrow. So rent and enjoy
Old May 27th 2010, 9:29 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Why is this such a hard subject? Some of us prefer to rent, some of us prefer to buy. Such is life.

Money in the bank (or investments) doesn't give me pleasure. I don't enjoy renting. The solution is not rocket science.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.