Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you Buy a House right now !!!!

Would you Buy a House right now !!!!

Old May 19th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you Buy a House right now !!!!

Originally Posted by Japonica
You can doubt it all you want. Why is it so hard to believe? We used the money from the sale of our previous property back in Canada so that our mortgage and taxes will work out to less than what we currently pay in rent. It's not that unrealistic really...

Taking into account mortgage, taxes and water rates, when we move into our own house, we'll be paying $363 a month less than we are now in rent (using current interest rates as our calculation base, obviously when rates rise, that makes for a smaller amount). When our rent goes up $50 per week after our lease expires next year, we'd be paying $563 a month less with our own mortgage. Maybe it's just us, but we'd rather be paying less. Others may want to rent and pay more money...everyone's different.
I presume what you are saying is that you are putting down a reasonable deposit. If that is the case you need to take into account the interest you will lose on the dead money tied up in the property. Following your logic the more deposit you put down the cheaper it is to live in the house. If you pay cash it's even cheaper as all you need to pay is the council tax of about $35 a week. Let's all pay cash.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
IMO renting is dead money.
And paying bank interest isn't?
Old May 19th 2010, 11:45 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said it's not as easy as that. You need to take a lot of things into account. If you belive renting is cheaper for you then go for it.
IMO you are paying rent to someone who is also making money on the increase on the property value. And I know you are going to say that house prices have dropped, but REAL investors don't Dabble in it and are in it for the long term. You look at any 10year period and you will see that the price has always increased.
Old May 19th 2010, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
why are you putting so much down as a deposit? I really think that many of Brisbane's outer suburbs have some way to go before they hit a ceiling. At the end of the day if you are buying so that your family has a home for life then what does it matter if the arse falls out of the market. If you have no intention on selling then it will not affect you in the slightest. If you're in it to make a quick buck, then you are always taking a risk no matter what the market conditions or country you are in.
For more managable repayments we could have a 95% mortgage and buy the house we wanted but we'd be dipping into savings to pay the monthly amount which doesn't seem right to me!
Old May 19th 2010, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

There are many things to take into account, it's not that Black and White. IMO renting is dead money.
Why IYO is it dead money? Your paying for a service. Is buying an airline ticket or renting a car also dead money?
By your thinking all money spent is dead.
You don't have a vested interest in talking up property perchance?
Oh, judging by your signature, possibly you do.
Old May 19th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I won't be buying anytime soon !
Old May 19th 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

but REAL investors don't Dabble in it and are in it for the long term.
You mean those negatively geared saps that put in a large part of their salary every month just to keep up the mortgage payments on their investment property.
Old May 19th 2010, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope... its cheaper each month to rent for me. House money is invested in other means and is doing rather well

Em x
Old May 19th 2010, 9:29 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Why IYO is it dead money? Your paying for a service. Is buying an airline ticket or renting a car also dead money?
By your thinking all money spent is dead.
You don't have a vested interest in talking up property perchance?
Oh, judging by your signature, possibly you do.
LOL! Like I said in IMO. And renting a house is nothing like buying an airline ticket. And as you say you are PAYINGfor a service for which you won't have to if you bought your own home.
Let's agree to disagree on this one.

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You mean those negatively geared saps that put in a large part of their salary every month just to keep up the mortgage payments on their investment property.
Never believed in negative gearing, that's where SO MANY people have failed. Negative gearing may work in a climbing market but not in a level or declining market.
Old May 20th 2010, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Interesting on how mixed this thread is going.
If the Dollar keeps dropping like a stone, surely this isn't good news
Old May 20th 2010, 7:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedons
Interesting on how mixed this thread is going.
If the Dollar keeps dropping like a stone, surely this isn't good news
For Australian tourists and importers, no.
For people bringing money in or exporting, yes.
Old May 20th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

Just paid our deposit today - now you've got me scared!!!!
Old May 20th 2010, 7:38 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
Yes.

I would as it would be my home for the next few years. If a massive crash happened then eventually, I assume, the valuation would correct itself.

I bought my first property and made a fortune in 8 months. I went on to buy my next house which decreased in value for a number of years, I eventually sold it for a mere £4k more than I had paid for it 8 years later.

My next property doubled in price within 4 years.

If you're buying to make a short term profit then maybe it's not such a good time given the speculation that property is about to tumble? But who knows?

This kind of post really makes me scream. Houses are homes NOT ATM machines. It's people like you "making a fortune in 8 months" that have ruined your children and grandchildrens' chances of ever owning a home to live in.
Old May 20th 2010, 7:40 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are many things to take into account, it's not that Black and White. IMO renting is dead money.
People that say renting is dead money usually don't know what they are talking about because they are financially and numerically a bit lacking.
Old May 20th 2010, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedons
Are there troubled times ahead even for Australia!!!
What with Greece, UK, Spain, Ireland, and the trouble in Thailand, Miners tax
Please your feed back is welcomed.
With a capital NO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.