Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would You Be Better Off In Oz? - Misleading

Would You Be Better Off In Oz? - Misleading

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would You Be Better Off In Oz? - Misleading

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just in passing (though it probably won't ever load.........) I have to wonder why some people complaining about the article not being removed also complain about the forum being over-moderated...........
=======================

Back on topic, I was actually flattered to be asked to write an article for BE. The site has given me so much that it was a way of giving things back. I think its a shame that some people feel they should be paid for sharing their experiences with their cyber-friends. A lot of the posts in the Update forum would be great as articles, and I'm sure they could be turned into articles if anyone wanted that

I got published a few years ago and didn't even realise(!) as I never use the site itself.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

Personally Aus is the best thing that ever happened to us and for many of our friends. However some have found that Aus isn't all they thought it would be and frankly these kinds of articles really do lead people up the garden path.

Migration is not a picnic and there are as many pro's and cons just as there are if you live in the UK. To pretend otherwise is foolhardy and a business that promotes migration should know better.
Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Life in Aus isn't a dream, it's reality and it has its ups and downs. You are speculating on people's lives here, most if not all give up a life in their old country to start afresh in Australia, shifting their whole lives and their kids to the other side of the world. This is not some game, it's reality and the sooner people accept its not a walk in the park and there is no such thing as utopia, the more likely they are to manage their expectations and succeed in their new lives.
Sums up the reality side.

Seems to me a lot of migrants do migrate with not very much information and do treat it as a game or life experience - and say that was the whole fun in the first place. Migration has been a dream for millions for generations and the risk involved mysteriously part of the attraction - some people are life's adventurers - and have that great British Knighthood to show for it. It reallly is a gamble, you can win big or lose as much.

If it works out - great - if not, there is hell to pay. So ultimately I think no entity can be found to be at fault for 'enticement' - people move because they wanted to. Noone made them.

Have to admit, the FIRST thing I did almost 8 years ago when I was considering visiting Australia was check out salaries in Sydney and Melbourne.
If this had been a no-goer I might not have bothered even looking into it...
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sdunx

Also if you decide to go don't capitulate to homesickness after a few months, stick it out regardless and treat it as the adventure it is, aim to do at least two years and then re-assess.
very good advice....to newbies and to those who have been here for a few months
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

I think it was Hutch who said it,

what have you got to lose if you move here?.......

the answer is....

1. your family/friends
2. life savings
3. your career
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan

the answer is....

1. your family/friends
2. life savings
3. your career
That might be your answer - but it's not everyones - certainly not ours. Yes, you lose close contact with family/friends - but you don't lose them. If you do lose friends they weren't true friends.

OH's career has flourished, working for a forward-thinking company with far superior technology. I wanted to lose my career for a time, so I could care for the girls (and that's been possible). In the meantime, I've received a grant for $1K for training and am starting my own home business.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
That might be your answer - but it's not everyones - certainly not ours. Yes, you lose close contact with family/friends - but you don't lose them. If you do lose friends they weren't true friends.

OH's career has flourished, working for a forward-thinking company with far superior technology. I wanted to lose my career for a time, so I could care for the girls (and that's been possible). In the meantime, I've received a grant for $1K for training and am starting my own home business.

far superior technology in what ?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
far superior technology in what ?
I thought that might raise eyebrows! He works in the printing industry (he's pre-press/graphics). He comes from a poorly managed company in Bristol to a shit-hot Melbourne company. Funnily enough (though not for his ex-colleagues) the Bristol company has recently gone bust.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

the answer is....

1. your family/friends
2. life savings
3. your career
That was actually me who said that. And it was a part of a larger post which went on to explain that a lot of families are split because of the move. Spouses & children who are happy here when one wants to go back. Careers lost when you've given up your job back "home". Going back to unemployment and the possibility that you will never get back to the level of work you left. And life's savings in that a lot of us had to sell our homes to finance the move.

Certainly it's not the answer for everyone, but it is the answer for some of us. In my own personal case, if we were to ever move back to where we came from both my husband and I would take giant steps back in our careers. We would have lost ALL of our money and a great deal of our family. My sisters were opposed to our moving over here in the first place and it has caused a big rift in my family. Moving back would not heal that and I suspect that would be the same for a number of people.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That was actually me who said that. And it was a part of a larger post which went on to explain that a lot of families are split because of the move. Spouses & children who are happy here when one wants to go back. Careers lost when you've given up your job back "home". Going back to unemployment and the possibility that you will never get back to the level of work you left. And life's savings in that a lot of us had to sell our homes to finance the move.

Certainly it's not the answer for everyone, but it is the answer for some of us. In my own personal case, if we were to ever move back to where we came from both my husband and I would take giant steps back in our careers. We would have lost ALL of our money and a great deal of our family. My sisters were opposed to our moving over here in the first place and it has caused a big rift in my family. Moving back would not heal that and I suspect that would be the same for a number of people.
oooop sorry Dorothy , thank you for correcting me ......
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

the answer is....

1. your family/friends
2. life savings
3. your career
For some of us that list has actually been improved by moving to Oz!!!

errr maybe not the bit about life savings......

Buzzy
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. My life is so much better here than it was. We're in jobs we like, made some really nice friends, love where we live and are all round happy. The answer about losing everything is to the flippant "what have you got to lose" type answers when people are struggling with deciding what to do.