Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would You Be Better Off In Oz? - Misleading

Would You Be Better Off In Oz? - Misleading

Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would You Be Better Off In Oz? - Misleading

What a load of b*llocks! Definitely misleading advertising.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdunx
The article on the homepage of this site is very, very misleading. After living in Australia for 15 years and recently returning to the UK I implore people moving to Australia to seek a 'warts and all' view. Many of these articles are written by people who have a vested interest in getting you interested. Some of the price comparisons for instance are definitely not reflective of what I've found!

My advice is don't get sucked in by glossy sales pitches, pictures of beaches etc etc Australia is not a modern day utopia and has its share of problems and challenges. Seek out dissenting opinions to give you a true picture, after all its a very big move.

Also if you decide to go don't capitulate to homesickness after a few months, stick it out regardless and treat it as the adventure it is, aim to do at least two years and then re-assess.

LOL, just read this article its hilarious where the hell did they get this tosh

(Margaret, one year , just done my tax return , earned $51,000 as a nurse (qualified in 1985), ok i dont work weekends and unsociable hrs, but i work my ass off when am there, and , just a minor detail, no annual leave in last 15 months from hospital, am awaiting feb 2009 with anticipation when ave been told i will be able to have AL,)

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 2nd 2008 at 12:53 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:43 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It reads like the script for the show that Nadia Sawalah presents on daytime beeb. Misleading in the extreme.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure! Let's go ... to the colonies ...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
It reads like the script for the show that Nadia Sawalah presents on daytime beeb. Misleading in the extreme.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure! Let's go ... to the colonies ...
Funny you should mention that because Visa Bureau seems to be rather fond of WDU:

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/...own-under.aspx

Wanted Down Under does not gloss over the potential difficulties emigrants to Australia may face, especially the hurdles of the visa application process. The Australian Visa Bureau can vouch for the programme's authenticity, as the first series focussed on a number of Visa Bureau clients trying to navigate the Australian visa application, skills assessment, and waiting for their permanent residence to be confirmed. Bob Ashton and Cal and Gary Wall were two examples of Visa Bureau clients that the programme followed on the path to successfull [sic ] Australian emigration in the first series.

All in all, Wanted Down Under presents an honest and positive picture of migrating to Australia.

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
All in all, Wanted Down Under presents an honest and positive picture of migrating to Australia.
Yea - and Dick van Dyke was a real cockney.

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Come on then Hutch. You're the journo. Write an article about your expectations and the facts as you see them (with regards Australia). The more realistic articles published will negate this one whilst moving it down the page.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I just have to quote my favourite bit again:

"Fortunately for Aussies, cheap groceries and petrol are an everyday delight."

Originally Posted by Margaret3
LOL, just read this article its hilarious where the hell did they get this tosh

Funny you should mention that because Visa Bureau seems to be rather fond of WDU:

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/...own-under.aspx

All in all, Wanted Down Under presents an honest and positive picture of migrating to Australia

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Come on then Hutch. You're the journo. Write an article about your expectations and the facts as you see them (with regards Australia). The more realistic articles published will negate this one whilst moving it down the page.
Definitely, who better to show them they error of their ways than a journo....go for it Hutch
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:21 am
Australia's Doorman

At the risk of sounding snotty, Pen - only if I got paid for it. I have considered it in the past but I'm not in the habit of handing out charity to faceless American corporations who have enough cash to go around hoovering up bouyant Internet communities so that they can squeeze them dry of any commercial value.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of sounding snotty, Pen - only if I got paid for it. I have considered it in the past but I'm not in the habit of handing out charity to faceless American corporations who have enough cash to go around hoovering up bouyant Internet communities so that they can squeeze them dry of any commercial value.
You sound undecided? Sleep on it
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:52 am
Australia's Doorman

You sound undecided? Sleep on it
I'll do that.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should complain to whoever runs BritishExpats about poorly disguised "infomercials" which disguise themselves as objective articles. This sort of thing is dishonest and can cause real harm. There was a similar one about New Zealand which was even more ridiculous.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well said.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Budawang
I think we should complain to whoever runs BritishExpats about poorly disguised "infomercials" which disguise themselves as objective articles. This sort of thing is dishonest and can cause real harm. There was a similar one about New Zealand which was even more ridiculous.
Put it in Site Feedback. Or PM JuCo. Email visa bureau and then write one of your own that is factual to you.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Been thinking about this one. Whilst I agree with you in principal the fact remains that the only people who may require the 'charity' are the nameless members who read these articles and don't find one that gives a different view point. Whilst obviously they would be mad to do so, some will accept this rubbish and will probably come unstuck. By writing such an article doesn't put anything into IBs coffers but it will help new members.

We need lots more articles and Wiki articles written from the real expats point of view rather than just knocking one rubbish one. I'm as guilty as the next person in not adding to info. Suppose I ought to put my two penniworth in (when I get a moment ).
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Hello folks...........

This could well be just about the most accurate thread in the whole Australia section of BE !!!

As you know I did 2 1/2 years in Oz in the Illawarra. A beautiful part of the world for sure. Lovely beaches, lovely escarpment and some nice countryside. Beyond that ????...........I dunno. No doubt a metropolitan life would be very different (and more expensive). We made some great friends and its a shame that in 2 1/2 years we can only count one Australian family as a new lifelong friendship.

My auntie who emigrated in the 60's told me to really experience Oz you need to experience each season twice..........then decide. Well we did that and experienced two seasons three times. The winters in our Oz house were colder than in our UK house...........'cos windows are single pane, doors don't fit well and gas points in the house are few and far between. Many a post on here about houses being cold in winter but where is that mentioned on any Aussie promotion TV programme ?? Converse is that in summer you fry and need lots of $$$ for air con if you can afford it. I am lucky in that I don't feel the cold nor effects of heat as much as some...its the UK rain I struggled with.

Anyways....its seems posters on this thread are well experienced in all +ve and -ve aspects. Having been on this journey through the visa application and all that entailed for 18 mths, sold a house in the UK, rented in Oz, bought a house in Oz, sold a house in Oz, worked in Oz, had kids in school in Oz...I think I am well placed to give a warts & all view of our experience as we found it in NSW. I worked in commerce, my wife worked in the medical world and I personally met a few people in high places (mayors, general managers, prominent businessmen, pollies...)....gives us a good view on how things operate.

I sit here today in Shoreham, West Sussex having driven down the A23 in glorious sunshine and seen our wonderful countryside. The A27 to Shoreham took me in to view of the Channel with a clear blue sky. The Sussex Pad pub just ahead a great example of a good pub with wonderful food. Plentiful cows and sheep grazing on very green grass......a golf course in wonderful condition with green greens.....Days like this I now enjoy 10000% more than I did before because of my Oz experience.

The good news is I will not get so down when I do the journey in pouring rain, wearing scarves and gloves and a bit winter coat.

Good weather, I have learned, is not everything and does not make things seem better nor enable you to lead an outdoors life. Having your best friends and a happy family around you and a positive outlook on things when all appears shite is what really makes the difference.

Oh...one last thing.........also for me working in an area that is not what I was doing 15 years ago on the pay of 15 years ago helps.

A good thread and many a prospective immigrant should take note of the rose tinted views being just that.

I think this calls for a nice cup of tea with a few garibaldis, choc hob nobs and fig rolls. I might even treat the wife to a decent curry tonight.....trouble is deciding where to go the choice is so great.

Enjoy your life...you only get one.

Last edited by Olibeneli; Oct 2nd 2008 at 9:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.