Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you accept this job offer???

Would you accept this job offer???

Old May 15th 2008, 4:26 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you accept this job offer???

Originally Posted by Mipik
That was not a difficult thing to guess. Commercial?
Wife used to be a big wig with the RE company before coming here. Local branch was interested but it would mean a hectic life so she decided to take it easy and sell holidays. A good saleswoman can sell sand to beduins.
Moving abroad is a good chance to change things in life.

On the other hand if you have enough money to last until he starts earning decent commisions it might be not such a bad idea. Remember that you can deduct a lot of "normal" expenses from your taxable income (internet, phones ...).
Well thats the thing, like your wife he wanted a more relaxed way of life & he knows that to make the big bucks that are potentially there he would have to work 7 days per week. We've seen the top selling agent in our area-his face is plastered on every board and he is ALWAYS working day, noon, night, Sundays. Hmmm..
Old May 15th 2008, 4:46 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Thanks Tiddly-he's got another job offer outside the industry with a 40K proper basic plus comms. Think he's going for that-at least the risk factor isn't there plus no work on Sundays!

This sounds pretty good Jools. To be honest, I think if you can sell houses, you can sell anything. I would go for the least risk for now until you are more financially solvent. The housing market isn't going to pick up for another two to three years anyway, in my humble estimation, and by that time, you should both be in a better position as to whether to take such a risk.... and then making the money will be easier.

Good luck with it all. The no work on Sundays is something you'll both treasure, imo.
Old May 15th 2008, 5:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

No way Jose.
Why would anyone want to work for this kind of shite?
Old May 15th 2008, 5:18 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No way Jose.
Why would anyone want to work for this kind of shite?
you've said it!
Old May 15th 2008, 7:12 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

We've seen the top selling agent in our area-his face is plastered on every board and he is ALWAYS working day, noon, night, Sundays. Hmmm..
He may have more leisure time soon......
Old May 15th 2008, 7:17 am
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by seang
He may have more leisure time soon......
Why? oh dear, is the property market about to go down the pan here too? That doesn't cheer me up-I want to sell up & move in the next year!
Old May 15th 2008, 8:00 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Why? oh dear, is the property market about to go down the pan here too? That doesn't cheer me up-I want to sell up & move in the next year!
oh sorry. What I meant is that if he thinks it's busy now wait till later in the year!
I am being smart now sorry. To answer your question the job and terms on the table seem to be mad. Wouldnt touch with a barge pole

regards property, going on the international trend I cant see anything but a slowdown. Cant see how Australia can be any different then whats happening everywhere else.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:34 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

If you were offered a job with the following conditions would you take it?

1) No basic salary just a "retainer" of $50,000 per annum. If you dont make at least equal commission you have to pay them the difference back at the end of the year. BTW this job is in your usual profession and thats the way every company here does it!
2) They cant give any real idea of what you'll earn only that it probably "wont be much" in first year as you will be mentored but it "should" cover the retainer.
3) It is working for one of the top companies of its type in the area so potentially if you can stick the 1st year (where you are someone's pussy who doesn't earn much0 you may make some decent $$'s.
4) If, worst case scenario, you did have to pay them some money back you would have to sell your car/house/wedding ring to do so.

Yes or no....?

ta
Having had several sales jobs in software (yes, another feather to my cap) over the years and having managed a sales team, I would strongly suggest that you don't take it!
Any company that makes that kind of offer is obviously not very confident in either it's product or it's hiring and recruitment abilities!!
It's not uncommon to see 'retainer & commission' type packages BUT being asked to make up the difference if you don't make your target is simply ludicrous!! Tell em to shove it!
Old May 16th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

No
Old May 16th 2008, 9:35 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

If you were offered a job with the following conditions would you take it?

1) No basic salary just a "retainer" of $50,000 per annum. If you dont make at least equal commission you have to pay them the difference back at the end of the year. BTW this job is in your usual profession and thats the way every company here does it!
2) They cant give any real idea of what you'll earn only that it probably "wont be much" in first year as you will be mentored but it "should" cover the retainer.
3) It is working for one of the top companies of its type in the area so potentially if you can stick the 1st year (where you are someone's pussy who doesn't earn much0 you may make some decent $$'s.
4) If, worst case scenario, you did have to pay them some money back you would have to sell your car/house/wedding ring to do so.

Yes or no....?

ta
Who is taking the risk? Therefore is it employment or self employment?

I take it the churn rate in the first year is quite high (probably more so in the first quarter).
Old May 16th 2008, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - and they can actually find people who would take those conditions?
Old May 16th 2008, 11:39 pm
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Who is taking the risk? Therefore is it employment or self employment?

I take it the churn rate in the first year is quite high (probably more so in the first quarter).
I would say it is in effect self employment. You would only draw from the retainer if you haven't made enough money yourself in the month to cover your outgoings but as you are in training for the 1st 3 and shadowing someone you wouldn't make much early on.

Still to have to undergo 4 gruelling interviews over 2 weeks to be offered what is essentially self employment-something doesn't smell right to me...
Old May 17th 2008, 12:41 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Still to have to undergo 4 gruelling interviews over 2 weeks to be offered what is essentially self employment-something doesn't smell right to me...
That's another selling tactic i.e if you've worked hard to get the job, it's got to be worth it

This offer of 50% them/ 50% you is actually quite common over here in sales type jobs. They even do this in some Recruitment firms. The idea being you will make a killing in "sales" i.e recruting staff for companies so there is the potential to earn lots of money.

Most companies don't pay retainers so at least the company you were offered the role with were prepared to keep money coming in [even if you need to pay it back].

Personally I think it's an employers way of copping out of any responsibility. In effect you become self employed so they don't pay sick pay or holiday pay or even superannuation. In essence they get people working for them, extracting 50% for their effort and have no liability except sometimes providing business cards [that tie staff in and brand on their behalf] and phonecalls and if you're lucky, some support staff. A con and a cop out of employer responsibility. And it's perfectly legal.

Australia.

Great place to live, shite place to work

PS. That's my new strapline, would you like to pay me 50% for it
Old May 17th 2008, 12:55 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

PS. That's my new strapline, would you like to pay me 50% for it

Oooh that sounds so good it must be worth it.

I'll pay.

Shall I bend over?
Old May 17th 2008, 12:58 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Shall I bend over?
Yes, bend over and take what's coming to you

"because you're worth it"

See....another strapline...jeez....we should be in Sales me and you Tiddly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.