Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would u shop till midnight for ur Xmas shopping?

Would u shop till midnight for ur Xmas shopping?

Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:21 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: Would u shop till midnight for ur Xmas shopping?

We lived right beside a 24hr ASDA back in Glasgow, and it was perfect for picking up munchies after being out for the night, also great for pregnancy cravings! The Glasgow Fort was open to midnight, last year, i think, we were there at half 10 one night!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
David Jones would be open until midnight one day next week, how many people would stay out to shop till midnight?
To me that's total madness.
Depends when I started...if I started at 11pm to avoid the crowds - then yes. Easily - and would take advantage of late-night in any case.

Wouldn't put in a whole day though..
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I would. I've got two little kids at home all day at the moment and the best time to go shopping would be when they are sleeping.

If you think that's crazy when we're back in Canada quite a few of the Walmarts will have 24 hour shopping leading up to Christmas (from Dec 4-24th). I was surprised the one by my parents has it as the town only has 20,000 people. But hey, it works for me as it means there will be less to pack in the suitcases!
http://www.walmart.ca/home.jsp

The last town we lived in was a mining town. The majority of the workers worked shift work so 24 hour shopping would have been really helpful for people who are either working or sleeping during the day.
When I went back last year I said to my sister on the drive back from the airport at 9 pm "I must go tomorrow morning to A&P to get a turkey." She reminded me that all the supermarkets were open 24 hours, as was Shopper's Drug Mart, Wal-Mart and her local Crappy Tire was open until 10 every night.

When I worked bartending I used to love 24 hour shopping. I would do groceries at 3 am when I would be the only person in the store and not have to listen to screaming kids.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work opposite a 24/7 Asda in the UK, which was heavenly being a shift worker. Even if I wasn't working I would go and shop at daft times like 2am when the place was quiet, no kids underfoot. To be able to do that here would be excellent, for just the same reason - not everyone works regular hours and some of us find ourselves having to shop at odd times, like it or not.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:35 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I've worked in Bondi since August and I must admit I haven't been in that shopping centre once yet. Not sure why entirely. Is it really worth checking out?
Wow, that's some commute...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Wow, that's some commute...
Not anywhere near as bad as my old commute in the UK.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:08 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not anywhere near as bad as my old commute in the UK.
Well considering there is a mountain between you and work now, that UK commute must have been a right pig. !
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

I am surprised at how little late night shopping there is here, especially this close to Xmas, all of the shopping centres in Chch (nz) are open till at lest 9pm for most of December and the week before Xmas most are open until midnight. They were hardly ever quiet either, we lived very close to the mall and I popped in and out quite a bit late at night and there were always people there.

I still cant get used to the supermarkets closing here at 5pm on a Saturday, our local one used to be open 24 hours a day and we got used to going over and buying things for a late dinner on a Sat night.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kids carer
I am surprised at how little late night shopping there is here, especially this close to Xmas, all of the shopping centres in Chch (nz) are open till at lest 9pm for most of December and the week before Xmas most are open until midnight. They were hardly ever quiet either, we lived very close to the mall and I popped in and out quite a bit late at night and there were always people there.

I still cant get used to the supermarkets closing here at 5pm on a Saturday, our local one used to be open 24 hours a day and we got used to going over and buying things for a late dinner on a Sat night.
Find that odd. All the supermarkets around me are open longer hours than that and most are open until at least 9 every night up to christmas including a couple of midnight closes.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Find that odd. All the supermarkets around me are open longer hours than that and most are open until at least 9 every night up to christmas including a couple of midnight closes.
The supermarkets where I am living are open till 9pm on a week night but Sat And Sun they shut at 5pm and 6pm, when we first arrived we of course didnt know that and coming home after a day out in our new surroundings of course tried to go to a supermarket to find some dinner supplies found them all closed. Just found it hard to get used to being organized enough to not depend on the 24 hour shopping we used to have.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I used to work opposite a 24/7 Asda in the UK, which was heavenly being a shift worker. Even if I wasn't working I would go and shop at daft times like 2am when the place was quiet, no kids underfoot. To be able to do that here would be excellent, for just the same reason - not everyone works regular hours and some of us find ourselves having to shop at odd times, like it or not.
Sensible eh? I'd definitely shop late at Christmas, no question about it!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way I'd be hitting the shops at midnight.I hate shopping anyway,but at midnight?No thanks!I have better things to do.....like sleep!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:20 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

no..........cause probs pi**ed as a rat by then and canny drive the shops !!

Dougie
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well considering there is a mountain between you and work now, that UK commute must have been a right pig. !
M4, M25, North Circular. Need I say more?
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:09 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be happy with shops that opened on a sunday never mind midnight, although i do wish the gym was open longer i used to love to go to the gym late but here im forced to go after the school drop off with all the other mums.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.