Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

That would never happen in the UK.

That would never happen in the UK.

Old May 14th 2012, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That would never happen in the UK.

Originally Posted by asprilla
Well I disagree with you completely. Over here in australia, you see "tradies" driving around with "utes" full of unsecured tools. You couldn't do that in the UK - they'd get pinched.

Also, parks have free bbqs here in Aus. You couldn't do that in the UK - they'd be vandalised.

If you think that the above is incorrect - then I suspect that perhaps you don't know the UK very well at all.
it's a hard one all round. I think the issue is not that you can't do it - just that it's not customary.....and vandalizing would be a reaction....to something novel.
Old May 14th 2012, 1:24 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

On the other hand both countries are populated by homo sapiens - of all types. So you will get robbed, beaten up, murdered, cheated, laughed at, punched, spat on, kicked and an endless list of other things, in both countries.

Anyone with thinks either the people of the UK or the people of Australia are any better than the other is just a plain small minded fool.

I am in Indonesia now. Anything that can happen to me in the UK or Australia can happen to me here. I have experienced stupidity, kindness, love, generosity and all manner of things here, just as I have in the UK, and in Australia.
It's all very well espousing the similar natures of various countries.

The reality is that people, places and economies the world over are very, very different. This is the fundamental driver of immigration.

There are some places that are far more dangerous than others. There are some that are far more prosperous than others. Granted, the UK and Australia have more similarities than differences.

People are different the world over. They have their own customs and their own perspectives of what is right and what is wrong.

Look, you are in Indonesia, I am in Australia. We can both experience stupidity, kindness, love, generosity and all manner of warm fluffy things. But that is largely irrelevant. For an immigrant, safety and $$$ come first.

Later down the track, we can start to worry about kindness and generosity. But if you have traveled the world as much as you post about your travels, then you will know that even kindness and generosity wasn't handed out in equal shares.

It would be interesting to know how many people are migrating to Indonesia each year. I would hazard a guess that the answer is "not a lot".
Old May 14th 2012, 3:33 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

It's all very well espousing the similar natures of various countries.

The reality is that people, places and economies the world over are very, very different. This is the fundamental driver of immigration.

There are some places that are far more dangerous than others. There are some that are far more prosperous than others. Granted, the UK and Australia have more similarities than differences.

People are different the world over. They have their own customs and their own perspectives of what is right and what is wrong.

Look, you are in Indonesia, I am in Australia. We can both experience stupidity, kindness, love, generosity and all manner of warm fluffy things. But that is largely irrelevant. For an immigrant, safety and $$$ come first.

Later down the track, we can start to worry about kindness and generosity. But if you have traveled the world as much as you post about your travels, then you will know that even kindness and generosity wasn't handed out in equal shares.

It would be interesting to know how many people are migrating to Indonesia each year. I would hazard a guess that the answer is "not a lot".
I take your point, but people are the same all over the world - Good and bad. I find kindness and generosity WAS handed out equally, and have no idea why you would think otherwise.

As for safety, give me Jakarta over London any day.

You might be surprised to learn how many Australians are migrating to Bali with it's low taxes and relaxed lifestyle. Look at the price of a massive villa on the beach in Bali and compare it to Australia.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:36 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Well I disagree with you completely. Over here in australia, you see "tradies" driving around with "utes" full of unsecured tools. You couldn't do that in the UK - they'd get pinched.

Also, parks have free bbqs here in Aus. You couldn't do that in the UK - they'd be vandalised.

If you think that the above is incorrect - then I suspect that perhaps you don't know the UK very well at all.
Chris is going through the honeymoon period, poor soul (if he is actually in the UK)...

Old May 14th 2012, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You can walk towards a group of yoof here in Aus standing on a high St and they will make way for you. That rarely happens in the UK. Sounds like a small thing, but it shows one hell of a different mindset.
Old May 14th 2012, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You can walk towards a group of yoof here in Aus standing on a high St and they will make way for you. That rarely happens in the UK. Sounds like a small thing, but it shows one hell of a different mindset.
Probably circumstantial....Australia has a lot less town centers...and means for youth to transit to said places....once they are old enough to drive they don't need to hang around...and then the focus is hanging around in cars....

kids can hang around in malls instead....it's occurred to me: you don't see many kids on their own in malls....Aussie kids do seem to stay at home..you see them out on bikes shutting to and fro....
Old May 14th 2012, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Probably circumstantial....Australia has a lot less town centers...and means for youth to transit to said places....once they are old enough to drive they don't need to hang around...and then the focus is hanging around in cars....

kids can hang around in malls instead....it's occurred to me: you don't see many kids on their own in malls....Aussie kids do seem to stay at home..you see them out on bikes shutting to and fro....

I'm talking around where I live, Which in London terms would be Camden. Hackney or Islington and we get plenty on foot and hanging around Sydney Rd when school is out. Although when I have encountered groups elsewhere in Aus the same applies. Even with the highly prominent Lebanese at Broadmeadows shopping center. Mind you I will admit we have the opposite problem with the Old Geriatric Greeks along Sydney rd... They seem to be hell bent on holding their ground. The Greeks in their habitual daily heavily engaged conflabs, definitely being the worst. They drive me nuts actually.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 14th 2012 at 6:37 am.
Old May 14th 2012, 6:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I do know the UK very well and I agree that in some areas you couldnt do it but being in the trade I know of quite a few that have had their tools pinched in Australia. I would generalise about either country and to assume those things would happen EVERYWHERE in either country is wrong.

Old May 14th 2012, 6:55 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but what a ridiculous generalisation.

Old May 14th 2012, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
It's one of the main reasons I shifted my ideas re retiring to the UK ... Yoof Tude.

Especially after my last trip. I did have close encounters and it really put me off. The like of which I've never had in Aus.... in just the space of 6 weeks.

So you can stick that generalisation right up your clacker as it happened to me on more than one occassion in more than one location.

My main problem being I will eventually react to stuff like this. I'll probably come off a very bad second best as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 14th 2012 at 7:12 am.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:13 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a silly statement.They get pinched here to.Last month while I was out two blokes pulled up and smashed the lock off my secured trailer that was parked in front of my house.This was at 7pm in broad daylight.They were foiled by the neighbour.Shit happens anywhere.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:16 am
Banned

It is a crazy generalisation, as I said being in the trade I hear about it all the time and it is a major problem.

Originally Posted by ukecadet
That's a silly statement.They get pinched here to.Last month while I was out two blokes pulled up and smashed the lock off my secured trailer that was parked in front of my house.This was at 7pm in broad daylight.They were foiled by the neighbour.Shit happens anywhere.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:17 am
Banned

Sorry to hear you had these problems, I must say I have never ever had any issues with 'gangs' here or in Australia. I guess it very much depends on where you are, in both countries.

It's one of the main reasons I shifted my ideas re retiring to the UK ... Yoof Tude.

Especially after my last trip. I did have close encounters and it really put me off. The like of which I've never had in Aus.... in just the space of 6 weeks.

So you can stick that generalisation right up your clacker as it happened to me on more than one occassion in more than one location.

My main problem being I will eventually react to stuff like this. I'll probably come off a very bad second best as well.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukecadet
it does happen here. I suppose the poster is talking about gear in utes during the day...statistically there are more utes with trays here than vans with doors...

Originally Posted by chris955
what about your comments on police etc?
Old May 14th 2012, 7:23 am
Banned

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ge...220-1thtc.html
http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/ne...s/2545833.aspx
http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/ne...s/2437812.aspx
http://moorabbin-leader.whereilive.c...-in-the-works/

"Police said tradies’ utilities had become popular targets for thieves."

Contrary to what a few like to think what I say has nothing to do with points scoring, it is just that I am amazed how many people assume one thing or another doesn't happen or isnt a problem in both countries when it clearly is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.