Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

That would never happen in the UK.

That would never happen in the UK.

Old May 18th 2012, 6:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That would never happen in the UK.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Ok so it's a street in Manchester, where, at the time of day the photo many of the take aways and other shops were closed, and their shutters down, there are a few 'corner' newsagents open, and I suspect that, taken at another time of day most of those other places would be open, and the street busy. Looka quite early morning to me.
Bear in mind that the street view is three years old. Unless anyone on here has been down that road in the past few weeks none of us would know what it looks like today. Doesn't take away from what the local man said in the newspaper though.

Last edited by moneypenny20; May 18th 2012 at 7:26 am. Reason: changed the age of the pic.
Old May 18th 2012, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Its always been the same, people down South are largely un aware of the problems to the extent we are seeing up North.
So THEIR experiences are different to yours... :-)

But then G would disagree he lives up there.

I can't claim that most parts of Melbourne are like where we are..

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
If you have a photo of you galloping over Demi Moore then please post it
Only a mental one....in all senses...!
Old May 18th 2012, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
The following is an extract from a letter published in the local newspaper of my home town:

I didn't write it, a local did....
The writer of the letter did go on to mention a current proposal for revamping that area of Ashbourne. Looks like a local primary school is doing well there.
Old May 18th 2012, 7:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
The writer of the letter did go on to mention a current proposal for revamping that area of Ashbourne. Looks like a local primary school is doing well there.
Oh I see...the quoting stopped when the letter became vaguely positive!

I'm in Dundee at the moment. It's much the same as it's always been - great swathes of it have always been economically stunted. Some of the empty retail space in town has finally been re-let...the old Borders etc.

As for things that I'm sure would 'never happen in the UK'...well I got a friendly, queue less welcome at LHR on Tuesday and a seamless transfer from T3 to T5 in only 30 minutes! My bag even made it to Aberdeen!
Old May 18th 2012, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Oh I see...the quoting stopped when the letter became vaguely positive!

I'm in Dundee at the moment. It's much the same as it's always been - great swathes of it have always been economically stunted. Some of the empty retail space in town has finally been re-let...the old Borders etc.

As for things that I'm sure would 'never happen in the UK'...well I got a friendly, queue less welcome at LHR on Tuesday and a seamless transfer from T3 to T5 in only 30 minutes! My bag even made it to Aberdeen!
We had problems with a terminal 4 years ago but it had only just opened or summat....
Old May 18th 2012, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Good grief, I'd forgotten how filthy and tired everything is over there.
This one must be up for "Most Sweeping Generalizations" in the history of BE ever.
Old May 18th 2012, 7:53 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Ok so it's a street in Manchester, where, at the time of day the photo many of the take aways and other shops were closed, and their shutters down, there are a few 'corner' newsagents open, and I suspect that, taken at another time of day most of those other places would be open, and the street busy. Looka quite early morning to me.
It's Old Church Street in Newton Heath.
My Mother and my Sister still live in the area, as do other members of my family. That street, if anything, is probably in a worse state now than those pictures portray.
Behind that street is Newton Heath Market. Anybody and everybody, who lived in the East of Manchester will have been to that market. It used to be packed solid on a Saturday. It's now shutdown.
Old May 18th 2012, 7:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
This one must be up for "Most Sweeping Generalizations" in the history of BE ever.
Oh really it's not.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I've just come off the phone with a mate in the UK. He's just lost his job and being in his 50's he's not hugely hopeful of ever working again. Unsurprisingly, he unloaded the weight of the world on me a bit, primarily about just how crap everything is at the moment.... and getting worse.
Sorry to hear about your friend but i find it incredible that a man in his fifties could make such a negative statement about never working again. 50 is young and no reason he cannot pick himself up and make something happen. Hopefully he was just in shock and when he has time to take stock he can work something out.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:04 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your friend but i find it incredible that a man in his fifties could make such a negative statement about never working again. 50 is young and no reason he cannot pick himself up and make something happen. Hopefully he was just in shock and when he has time to take stock he can work something out.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oh really it's not.
Really, give me a better one then.

I was actually suprised you didn't comment on it yourself but then i remembered it was a sweeping generalization about the UK.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

How old are you?
Old May 18th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How old are you?

Look i didn't mean to seem insensitive towards your friend but in this day and age jobs are never going to be secure no matter where you live.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:21 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Really, give me a better one then.

I was actually suprised you didn't comment on it yourself but then i remembered it was a sweeping generalization about the UK.
None of my business but... In the trailer park I remember a comment... English water is superior to American water. Now I can't speak of the quality of English water, there are thousands of sources in America. From the Hudson river in New York (yuck) to Pristine mountain streams. Sweeping generalization.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:23 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
None of my business but... In the trailer park I remember a comment... English water is superior to American water. Now I can't speak of the quality of English water, there are thousands of sources in America. From the Hudson river in New York (yuck) to Pristine mountain streams. Sweeping generalization.
Hmmmm - British police are better than Australian police..... ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.