Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

That would never happen in the UK.

That would never happen in the UK.

Old May 14th 2012, 8:12 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: That would never happen in the UK.

Originally Posted by chris955
Exactly, ALL I am saying is that it happens and is a big problem, to assume otherwise is like sticking your fingers in your ears and saying LALALA, I cant hear you.
Totally in agreement
Old May 14th 2012, 8:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
My ute has a tray and I've had stuff knocked off out of the back of it.It's happened to my friends as well.Whenever I'm getting stuff from Bunnings or the like,anything of value goes in the cab.Next time your at Bunnings have a look and you'll see people checking out the backs of utes to see what they can pinch.
I can well believe it, let's not forget most Aussies are descended from thieves. Stealing is in their blood.

I'm in a cul-de sac now but before I was renting a "front row" house in Ocean Reef. You never left the roller door open or passers by would just walk in and help themselves. Even the garden hose, you couldn't leave that in view or it would get pinched.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Laxor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth
I can well believe it, let's not forget most Aussies are descended from thieves. Stealing is in their blood.
ermmm...
Old May 14th 2012, 8:40 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

When we had a near riot outside our house in Brisbane following a party gone wrong I asked a cop mate what happened regarding charges etc and he could find no mention of it even though 2 cars attended and there was a stabbing.
Sounds like your life over here was fraught with danger.

How did you make it out of the country in one piece? Evacuated from the embassy?
Old May 14th 2012, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, even in the UK the figures are classed as reported crimes, the true number may be much higher, and the same will apply to all other countries, it really depends what people think is 'not worth reporting'.
people have been complaining about it for years...I think pace 1984 attempted to address it....part of it...I forget
Old May 14th 2012, 8:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all, it was the one and only incident of real concern in our time there. No need to blow it out of proportion

Originally Posted by asprilla
Sounds like your life over here was fraught with danger.

How did you make it out of the country in one piece? Evacuated from the embassy?
Old May 14th 2012, 8:48 am
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

I can well believe it, let's not forget most Aussies are descended from thieves. Stealing is in their blood
That's Aussie Royalty! You really hit the jackpot if you find a bushranger in your famiy tree. I loved that Simpsons in Australia episode where every time Marge turned her back the locals would start creeping up behind her to nick her wallet. Wish I could find a YouTube clip
Old May 14th 2012, 10:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, even in the UK the figures are classed as reported crimes, the true number may be much higher, and the same will apply to all other countries, it really depends what people think is 'not worth reporting'.
When I worked for the UK police it was quite easy to change the crime figures. All reported crimes had to be categorised, but you could alter the type of crime depending on what the focus of the month was. For example, if there was a push from on high (government level) to reduce the number of "thefts from motor vehicles" then a lot of things stolen from cars were suddenly just listed as "theft" with no mention of the vehicle. If there was a push to show that it was safe for visitors to walk the streets at night then anyone mugged and giving a hotel address was a local - cos they had a local address.
And thats just the reported ones - what about the people who are victims of a crime but never bother reporting it, for a myriad of reasons - not least the fact that in some cases they could be persuaded not to report a minor incident as a crime - thus unwittingly helping the figures to be swayed one way or the other.

Crime figures can be so easily manipulated that they really aren't much of a guide at all and thats why I generally take them with a pinch of salt.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

When we had a near riot outside our house in Brisbane following a party gone wrong I asked a cop mate what happened regarding charges etc and he could find no mention of it even though 2 cars attended and there was a stabbing.
Thats called confidentiality
Old May 14th 2012, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When I worked for the UK police it was quite easy to change the crime figures. All reported crimes had to be categorised, but you could alter the type of crime depending on what the focus of the month was. For example, if there was a push from on high (government level) to reduce the number of "thefts from motor vehicles" then a lot of things stolen from cars were suddenly just listed as "theft" with no mention of the vehicle. If there was a push to show that it was safe for visitors to walk the streets at night then anyone mugged and giving a hotel address was a local - cos they had a local address.
And thats just the reported ones - what about the people who are victims of a crime but never bother reporting it, for a myriad of reasons - not least the fact that in some cases they could be persuaded not to report a minor incident as a crime - thus unwittingly helping the figures to be swayed one way or the other.

Crime figures can be so easily manipulated that they really aren't much of a guide at all and thats why I generally take them with a pinch of salt.
the missing piece - that was it - it's the fact that the cops choose how to report that is an issue.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:37 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, no, we are good friends he would have told me if it had been logged as an incident which it wasn't.

Originally Posted by eddie007
Thats called confidentiality
Old May 14th 2012, 11:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a cul-de sac now but before I was renting a "front row" house in Ocean Reef. You never left the roller door open or passers by would just walk in and help themselves. Even the garden hose, you couldn't leave that in view or it would get pinched.
We have had 2 incidents of theft where I live both of which were really my own fault. I left the car unlocked on the drive and CDs and a couple of other bits were taken and I left the garage door open over night and daughters bike was stolen. We live in a crescent off the main drag in our suburb so not a thoroughfare. It's one of those things that happens the world over. In the UK we had a burglary, car theft and I was mugged. No different really .
Old May 15th 2012, 10:40 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Our phone line is underground as is most of the street, they came around with machinery and dug up the entire nature strip in the process, this was a couple of years ago. The grass still hasn't grown back 100%.

If ours was done then I'm sure heaps of other places have been done, especially in urban areas. I think they do it if you are having specific problems with the phone line, basically if it needs replacing it is put underground these days.

Also underground electrical lines in some roads in the area that are in tall forest as a bushfire prevention measure.
Here in Canberra even the trees make way for overhead cables
Attached Thumbnails That would never happen in the UK.-imga0680.jpg  
Old May 16th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulry
Indeed! But you aint seen nuthin yet, the Scots will be along shortly...

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/image...-keg-racer.jpg
Haha! Looks like this thread has gained a lot of laughs since the last time I posted. So where are the Scots?
Old May 16th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nice

I think you will find the quirks and twists of the English are much the same as other nationalities, thankfully.
Hey Chris955! Yes I agree with you. Everyone has quirks. Don't get me started with ozzies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.