Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

That would never happen in the UK.

That would never happen in the UK.

Old May 9th 2012, 6:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default That would never happen in the UK.

Why do SOME say things like that even though it clearly isnt true ? I have read numerous comments about a particular thing that someone has experienced in a different country and they say something like 'that would never happen in the UK'. I recall someone saying how they left a bike outside the front door and how you could never do that that in the UK. It is obviously absurd but is it to make yourself feel better ? Do they honestly believe it ?
I guess now I am actually here I can see that you can in fact do all the same stuff.
Just thinking out loud
Old May 9th 2012, 7:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That would never happen in the UK.

Originally Posted by chris955
Why do SOME say things like that even though it clearly isnt true ? I have read numerous comments about a particular thing that someone has experienced in a different country and they say something like 'that would never happen in the UK'. I recall someone saying how they left a bike outside the front door and how you could never do that that in the UK. It is obviously absurd but is it to make yourself feel better ? Do they honestly believe it ?
I guess now I am actually here I can see that you can in fact do all the same stuff.
Just thinking out loud
No you're not, you're attempting to stir but it's ok, it's not forbidden. I am not aware of people saying things don't happen either here or in the UK. What I do read is people jumping in on harmless threads about a particular event in a particular country and saying 'oh I suppose that doesn't happen in the other country'. Two completely different things.

Maybe the person who left the bike out, couldn't leave a bike out where they lived previously because of crime.

My biggest biggest bugbear on BE and other forums is the massive generalisations people make and that includes your example above. When they say Australia and Australians what they actually mean is their neighbourhood and the people they see but they can't be bothered to be specific, apparently it's hard work.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I mean when people say 'you could never do that in the UK' when quite clearly you can do it.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I mean when people say 'you could never do that in the UK' when quite clearly you can do it.
I'm well aware of what you meant. Like I said, I'm not aware of people saying that and actually meaning it country wide. The bike owner may not have lived in an area similar to where I lived where you could so as far as they knew, you couldn't leave the bike out but they're generalising, as are you, saying you can. In the centre of Birmingham, you probably can't, on the front lawn of the house you're in, in the village (or whatever you're in), you can.

You're assuming they mean it factually, I assume they are generalising and being lazy.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:48 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving on the right. That would never happen in the UK.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:50 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Driving on the right. That would never happen in the UK.
By the sober.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
By the sober.
there are sober people in the UK!!?
Old May 9th 2012, 8:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

leaving the key in the mobile scooter, parked outside the shop, when you go shopping, coming back to find that it's still there, no-one has used it as a getaway vvehicle. Oh hang on, that did happen, to us, yesterday.. and in the UK..
Old May 9th 2012, 8:05 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
leaving the key in the mobile scooter, parked outside the shop, when you go shopping, coming back to find that it's still there, no-one has used it as a getaway vvehicle. Oh hang on, that did happen, to us, yesterday.. and in the UK..
No self respecting American criminal would be seen on a scooter.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs

Does it have a hidden safety switch then ? Or did you take the battery out ? Come on 'fess up
Old May 9th 2012, 8:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Does it have a hidden safety switch then ? Or did you take the battery out ? Come on 'fess up
no, anyone could have turned it on and sped away.. well it is capable of 8mph.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking out loud
I agree with Penny, you are just trying to start yet another argument. Shouldn't you be out enjoying all the wonderful things the Mother country has to offer that you have harped on about for the past 12 months. I have an excuse, I am in Perth
Old May 9th 2012, 9:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree with Penny, you are just trying to start yet another argument. Shouldn't you be out enjoying all the wonderful things the Mother country has to offer that you have harped on about for the past 12 months. I have an excuse, I am in Perth
+1 .

I can't see any point to this thread.
Old May 9th 2012, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

How refreshing.... A thread dedicated to the very subject that every other thread gets hijacked by.....

I'll play the game.... If it prevents other threads going the same old same old way.....

Old May 9th 2012, 10:50 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Hottie beach boys in skimpy speedos swimming in the sea during winter.

"That would never happen in the UK."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.