British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Wot pizza again? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/wot-pizza-again-595289/)

Scrawni 2 Mar 3rd 2009 8:30 pm

Wot pizza again?

My husband is now supposed to be cooking our tea every night because he home a couple of hours before me (I've always done it before).

He can cook and has done some lovely meals in the past. So why am I coming home to takaway pizza, egg and chips etc? Even my teenage son has said that if dad cooks another crap meal then he isn't eating it, he want proper food :thumbup: which is healthy.

What can you guys suggest? I have got my slow cooker out and do that before I go to work and have just peeled the potatoes and brought some fish for tonights tea.

I don't want to be a lard arse.

MarkMC Mar 3rd 2009 10:51 pm

Re: Wot pizza again?

Ever thought your husband likes crap food and has always hated what you cook?

johnnyx0 Mar 4th 2009 1:27 am

Maybe he's just rebelling against the New World Order and wants you to start cooking again?

Solution? Send the teenage son to TAFE to learn cookery...

Scrawni 2 Mar 4th 2009 10:14 am

My husband loves my cooking .... hence the problem, he just isn't used to it. Our son does cook, at the age of 14 he can cook a mean curry, pasta etc and regularly cooks a meal for us.

And yes, my husband does like crap food. Occassionally he goes on a health kick but it only last a couple of weeks.

Am I being unreasonable? I have cooked most of our family meals, even when I was working full time. Now the tables are reversed and I am home later than him. Am I asking too much?

Damson Mar 4th 2009 5:08 pm

Have to agree that it;s a good idea for your son to do the cooking. What about giving him some cash each week to share the chore with your OH. Have to say that my OH would be in heaven if he could have pizza every night - seriously. I served up a casserole a few weeks ago and he said that it reminded him of the muck his Mum used to give him. When he comes out of hospital, I'm going to dob him to his Mum:thumbsup:

Scrawni 2 Mar 4th 2009 7:49 pm

So because he can't be bothered to cook (yet he knows how), my son should cook the family meals? mmm.

On a good note, he does seem to be getting the message because he did fish and potatotes and veg last night (I prepared it all before work) :thumbsup:

He does try it's just that sometimes he just make me wanna scream arrrrh! :o

Siren & Brian Mar 4th 2009 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 7344305)
My husband loves my cooking .... hence the problem, he just isn't used to it. Our son does cook, at the age of 14 he can cook a mean curry, pasta etc and regularly cooks a meal for us.

And yes, my husband does like crap food. Occassionally he goes on a health kick but it only last a couple of weeks.

Am I being unreasonable? I have cooked most of our family meals, even when I was working full time. Now the tables are reversed and I am home later than him. Am I asking too much?

No, providing you take over some of the chores that he did/does. Mow the lawn etc

johnnyx0 Mar 5th 2009 12:38 am

I think the idea of your son sharing the cooking with the OH is a good one. If both of them do it together then they'll both get a say in what to have and both share the prep work, washing up etc.

Ideal chance for some father/son bonding...

kiwinow Mar 5th 2009 2:36 am

I think you're all being too lenient on him. He's supposed to be cooking, so he needs to get organised and cook at least 3 decent meals with veges per week. Son can do one, and you can order out one day. If you've agreed that this is how it goes, you may need to remind hiim that he needs to work out what he's going to cook beforehand, make sure he has everything and starts in time. You can cope with the odd disaster or the odd disorganised day but too may in a row and you're all going to be unhealthy.

If he has a lot of other things to do, perhaps you or the son could peel veg and put them in a bowl of water in the morning.

Mipik Mar 5th 2009 2:42 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 7346647)
perhaps you or the son could peel veg and put them in a bowl of water in the morning.

Not a good idea, all the good stuff will dissolve in water;)

jayr Mar 5th 2009 2:56 am

Tell him you will force him to watch the appallingly bad TV show "The Biggest Loser" unless he ups his game.

I would willingly cook every night if it meant I didn't have to watch that rubbish.

Burbage Mar 5th 2009 2:59 am

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 7346700)
Tell him you will force him to watch the appallingly bad TV show "The Biggest Loser" unless he ups his game.

I would willingly cook every night if it meant I didn't have to watch that rubbish.

Come to my place every evening and cook me dinner then. I can guarantee you won't have to watch the biggest loser.

Scrawni 2 Mar 5th 2009 11:05 am

Lol, he loves the biggest looser and watches it every night - usually while he's eating :confused: