Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wot about the footy ?

Wikiposts

Wot about the footy ?

Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wot about the footy ?

Originally Posted by andicee
In anticipation of being deprived of the glorious Premiership I have been giving cricket a go. (Gulp)

Strange game but Sky have this great feature where by going interactive you get an explnation therules...ESSENTIAL for newbies.

Tell you what, judging by England's performance against Sri Lanka, I'm doing the right thing cos I'll be able to cheer on the Ozzies and always be on the winning side.

Cricket tho? I dunno!
I've got right into cricket
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by WendyC
I've got right into cricket
Well, it's not so bad now I know what a Googly (sp?) is

Still, don't think Mrs Cee is too enamoured of the fact that Ive been getting into the cricket for 2 reasons:

World Cup starts on Friday,

Cricket matches last for DAYS. Not the 2 hours I'm usually sat on my backside watching footie.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andicee
Well, it's not so bad now I know what a Googly (sp?) is

Still, don't think Mrs Cee is too enamoured of the fact that Ive been getting into the cricket for 2 reasons:

World Cup starts on Friday,

Cricket matches last for DAYS. Not the 2 hours I'm usually sat on my backside watching footie.

Hehe, maybe that why I like it. If the OH is going to sit on his behind for 4 or 5 days watching cricket then so am I
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
Mate it's shit and doesn't even deservto be mentioned in the same sentence as football.

PMSL. Don't hold back Fraser, you tell it like it is mate.

Where's these pix of this house then??
Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:53 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Least they aren't Prima Donnas
Correction Caroline.......................Overpaid Prima Donnas

Loz x
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:44 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Exactly how i feel about a 90 minute game where, if you're very lucky, you might see a couple of goals scored. Oh and a lot of girly screaming cos someone kicked their shin pad and messed their hair up. I quote.... "a game for wogs and sheilas"
But you're a woman, ergo your opinion is worthless
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

But you're a woman, ergo your opinion is worthless
Are you Jeremy Clarkson in disguise?
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:32 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly how i feel about a 90 minute game where, if you're very lucky, you might see a couple of goals scored. Oh and a lot of girly screaming cos someone kicked their shin pad and messed their hair up. I quote.... "a game for wogs and sheilas"

In preparation for the World Cup The Sun claims that England's squad took, among many other items, the following to Germany on Monday:

Styling mousse (24 cans), shampoo (24 bottles), soap (48 bars), vibrating razors (24), electric toothbrushes, Jaffa Cakes (2,300), wasp killer (48 cans), white socks (122 pairs), crisps (several dozen boxes) and a food blender.

En-ger-land - Big on jaffas.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
You really need to know your facts before spouting such tosh. Click the link below and have a look at the list of countries on the right that play the game. I'm pretty sure that will be at least on a par with gridiron.

http://www.iafc.com.au/
I was fully aware that it was PLAYED in other countries, but when the UK for instance has a grand total of 17 teams (source www.iafc.com.au ), you can hardly tell me that it has really captured people's imagination . I particularly love the way that there are a number of countries listed on that site that have only one team in the WHOLE COUNTRY (France for instance) !! Other countries are listed and yet have no teams shown as participating . That is a bit desperate really. Please feel free to show me how I was "spouting such tosh".

I also came across this article The Threat of Soccer. The opening line of the article ?? "Australian football is in real trouble" (meaning AFL). It goes on to say

"At the Sydney Olympics Australian children saw that they could one day represent Australia in team sports such as basketball, baseball, soccer etc. or in individual sports such as athletics and swimming. Outside of the Olympics they could aspire to be like the world champion Wallabies, the world champion Kangaroos or our world champion cricket team. And what does a career in the AFL offer them? A chance to kick a round ball against Gaelic footballers.

When (not if) the Socceroos qualify for the World Cup in 2006, the general public, media and the corporate sector will get behind their national team in a level that Australian football will be unable to compete with. And why? Because soccer is an international game."

To answer the original post, yet again, AFL is no substitute for football.

Last edited by BenandPam; Jun 5th 2006 at 11:56 am.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Riiiiiiiighhttt

Bear in mind there has been a proper organised league for Australian football longer than for any other kind of football. Why would it suddently die? Soccer has always had a higher participation level amongst young kids because - let's face it - you wouldn't want young kids playing a sport that rough.

The fact is that AFL attendances and memberships have increased every year for quite a few years now.
From "The Threat of Soccer" article,

"This may sound controversial but it's not when you look at the figures. We are a nation of only 20 million people. Of those, only 417,000 play Australian football. As discussed above, due to the inclusion of Auskick numbers this figure is misleading. Take the Auskick numbers away - 112,000 - and we have only 305,000 people playing our national game."

It is no use having large number of fat arsed "sports fans" watching a game, when it's participation is decreasing.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have never understood this arguement. Why is it that some people can only watch a sport that involves a high amount of scoring ? If you don't get that a 1 - 0 game of football can be a superb way to spend 90 minutes, I am not going to try and change your mind. Just like I won't ever get excited by a game that involves scoring in an area almost the width of a football pitch every few minutes.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:23 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
I have never understood this arguement. Why is it that some people can only watch a sport that involves a high amount of scoring ? If you don't get that a 1 - 0 game of football can be a superb way to spend 90 minutes, I am not going to try and change your mind. Just like I won't ever get excited by a game that involves scoring in an area almost the width of a football pitch every few minutes.
Morning mate
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morning mate

Morning

I feel better now I have got that off my chest.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Morning

I feel better now I have got that off my chest.
Just call me Jeremy
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:30 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

For a start, it's not AFL. It's Australian Rules Football.
The AFL is just the premier comp in Oz.

People who haven't learned the rules of the game come on here and say, "there are no rules" and, "it's completely disorganised" etc. etc.....

Blatant Gobshite!

The reason it can take a while to get into is because there are so many rules!
It's a game of constantly changing strategy. If you know the game you can see this happening constantly as the coaches and the leadership group on the field change tactics in order to gain an advantage.

Getting this strategic upper hand is everything.
Adelaide did it with Essendon on Friday night and ran away with the game!
(Sorry Hevs & Bordy)
Then on Saturday, Geelong thought they were home when The Eagles completely changed their game and came back from 10 goals down to grab one of the best results in their history.

So if you don't know anything about Aussie Rules, how can you be taken seriously on this thread?
All this stuff about, "it's all fighting", "you just run around with the ball", "it's for poofs" etc. etc. is wearing a bit thin.

Aussie Rules is Australia's national game, but you never hear Aussies constantly bleating and moaning about how much they hate Association Football, do you?

So get over it. If you don't like it.... Fine. Don't watch it, and leave the rest of us who do to enjoy it.

Last edited by Scossie; Jun 5th 2006 at 12:41 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.