Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The worst cover version of a song ever?

The worst cover version of a song ever?

Old Apr 4th 2010, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: The worst cover version of a song ever?

I can't stand the new version on 'One' that U2 did with Mary J Blige and I cringe whenever I hear that X Factor winners version of 'Hallelujah', it's just not the same as when Jeff Buckley sings it!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The worst cover version of a song ever?

I can't stand any song thats regurgitated.Its never as good as the original.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Previous post. Hallelujah.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie30
I cringe whenever I hear that X Factor winners version of 'Hallelujah', it's just not the same as when Jeff Buckley sings it!
Which itself is a cover of Leonard Cohen's original.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends.

IMHO Kiss by the Art of Noise was much better than the original.

Spiderbait's Black Betty is another that I thought was better than the original.

Obviously it comes down to personal taste.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:08 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower and countless others, obviously ...

Back to the plot ... apart from Madge's version of American Pie (taken as a given) ... er ... when that boy band did We Will Rock You (with Brian May's blessing ...), I'll go along with that.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
... when that boy band did We Will Rock You (with Brian May's blessing ...), I'll go along with that.
I quite liked that one. Not as good as the original but not a complete balls up.

Wasn't that awful boy band version of Seasons in the Sun the UK's number one for the new millennium?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:21 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I quite liked that one. Not as good as the original but not a complete balls up.

Wasn't that awful boy band version of Seasons in the Sun the UK's number one for the new millennium?
I've blanked that one ... I'm not keen on the original come to that ...

Johnny Cash's versions of One and Hurt were obviously just pointless regurgitations ...

Crap ones? ... OK ... the whole of Bob Dylan's Christmas album ...

<Blatant Google>

Ronan Keating - Fairytale Of New York?
Avril Lavigne - Knockin' on Heaven's Door?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:19 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think that Amy Winehouse's version of "Valerie" was as good, if not better than the original.

Sinead O'Connor's version of Nothing Compares 2 U and The Foo Fighters' "Band on the Run" were both infinitely superior.

Oh, speaking of Wings, Guns n Roses version of "Live and Let Die" was much better too

I used to like listening to Jo Whiley's Live Lounge. Sometimes the 'cover versions' were outstanding.

Here's someone elses list of the top 33 cover songs that are better than the original (a few mentioned in this thread already)

Great Cover Songs
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

Didn't Britney Spears do Joan Jet's I Love Rock and Roll.
Plus That soap star from brook side did Trans vision Vamps Baby i Don't Care
Truly awful
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

We've already had one version of Rocket Man (Shatner) - but at least that was intended to be a bit cheesy (I think ).............

................... on the other hand, Kate Bush turning it into a reggae singalong ditty was not........... nice to know she'll "...miss her wife..."

Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:15 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Florence and the machines version of 'dirty love' does my head in - why does she have to screech the chorus??
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:50 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
We've already had one version of Rocket Man (Shatner) - but at least that was intended to be a bit cheesy (I think ).............

................... on the other hand, Kate Bush turning it into a reggae singalong ditty was not........... nice to know she'll "...miss her wife..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6g8v2RNLHr0
Kate Bush is a legend
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Any of the (many) covers by Westlife. An absolute intenional rip off of nieve gullible young fans who don't know any better.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

oh, and who can ever forget this classic tune being mutilated ?..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvGd...eature=related

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.