Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Wikiposts

Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Old Aug 9th 2009, 11:44 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Don't know about you, but if I sit down and work out all my outgoings against my income I should be loaded. Never seems to work out that way though.

...and ABCD, before you start, I don't want a speadsheet to show me where I'm going wrong and work out my expenditure to the last Mars Bar.
I would like one of those
Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Yep, and I have plenty more rain here than I ever saw in Manchester.... difference is it tends to come down in torrents.. then nothing for days, or even weeks, at a time. I could be wrong but I can't remember seeing any rain for a good month or so.

You probably do have more rain but at least you dont have dull, grey, miserableness for 50 weeks of the year. And I am also starting to become dull, grey - one strand at a time, and miserable for it.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Suzy, don't let the negative comments on here get you down. BE posters are only a small proportion of Brits in Aus who are making a great success of things. You come across as realistic & you can see for yourself when you do your reccie. There are many people who come over with very little & succeed.
Lots of luck
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Suzy, don't let the negative comments on here get you down. BE posters are only a small proportion of Brits in Aus who are making a great success of things. You come across as realistic & you can see for yourself when you do your reccie. There are many people who come over with very little & succeed.
Lots of luck
Thanks sallyclaire I was starting to think we're destined to be skint in the sunshine, but we're remaining optimistic and you have to as long as you know there could be tough times too. Moving to Oz is an opportunity we've got that not everyone can have and we're going to take it and make the best of it. I don't want to be on a downer before we've even got there.

Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Thanks sallyclaire I was starting to think we're destined to be skint in the sunshine, but we're remaining optimistic and you have to as long as you know there could be tough times too. Moving to Oz is an opportunity we've got that not everyone can have and we're going to take it and make the best of it. I don't want to be on a downer before we've even got there.

Just be realistic. It is likely to be hard until he has his own business established but if you are prepared for that, you are half-way there. The 4x2 with pool may have to wait a while! In the meantime, there are many pluses to life here.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just be realistic. It is likely to be hard until he has his own business established but if you are prepared for that, you are half-way there. The 4x2 with pool may have to wait a while! In the meantime, there are many pluses to life here.
Hopefully I won't have to wait too long
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hopefully I won't have to wait too long
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

You probably do have more rain but at least you dont have dull, grey, miserableness for 50 weeks of the year. And I am also starting to become dull, grey - one strand at a time, and miserable for it.
The weather here is fabulous. In Scotland it rained all the time. We do some much more outdoors here, entertaining, cycling, watersports etc. I really enjoy my weekends now!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kporte
The weather here is fabulous. In Scotland it rained all the time. We do some much more outdoors here, entertaining, cycling, watersports etc. I really enjoy my weekends now!
That's what I like to hear!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of luck
I often say this its only a small portion of immigrants who use BE, but i dont think anyone was being deliberately negative, it was more a case of trying to show the realistic side of finances.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I often say this its only a small portion of immigrants who use BE, but i dont think anyone was being deliberately negative, it was more a case of trying to show the realistic side of finances.
I know!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:16 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Absolutely spot on Mags.

I have an appointment with ANZ on Friday to discuss my options. I am not banking on Mr PP being back at work at any given time and I am not going to let things get bad before I sort them out.

I would urge anyone to either have enough savings and/or get some sort of insurance for the unplanned.

Because I never thought this would happen to us, it happens to other people not us. We have fallen into life in Perth very well and we did it on a small budget.

But it is a huge gamble and thinking that unpleasant things wont happen to you is no promise that it wont.

Money does not bring happiness, it doesnt mean your life in Australia will be perfect, it certainly wont stop you being homesick.

But it at least ensures that the one thing you wont have to worry about in a crisis is losing your home.

It is probably not what many would be migrants would like to hear but it is a cold hard fact.

I dont regret doing things the way we did - far from it but it has been a learning curve and we could be in for a bumpy ride - which we will get through and learn from it.

Shit happens - in any country and even when the sun shines.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we will be on PR, we think he will probably earn $50k which is about half of what he earns now.
I earn around that and manage perfectly well. (me, 2 teenagers, dog and mortgage) Just takes very clever budgeting and setting priorities. Try to stop worrying cos it wont change anything. I believe it you want something bad enough you make adjustments so you can achieve it
Old Aug 12th 2009, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by daunted
I earn around that and manage perfectly well. (me, 2 teenagers, dog and mortgage) Just takes very clever budgeting and setting priorities. Try to stop worrying cos it wont change anything. I believe it you want something bad enough you make adjustments so you can achieve it
Yay! great post M!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daunted
That put's my mind at ease a bit more thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.