Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Wikiposts

Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Originally Posted by jazzys
Petrol is cheaper and i find the wages higher which almost accounts for the higher prices.
I find some things expensive here but i also get reports from the UK telling me the prices of groceries have shot up over there too.

Jazzys

fair enough, although i was back in march and i was amazed at how cheap groceries were, but i still think they will struggle financially, my husband and i earn slightly more here but struggle more as things are more expensive, another expense i did not take into consideration was the expense of playing sport here (for kids), my teen was a keen gymnast in the u.k, but it was summit we had to cut back on here, the price was rediculous and we just couldnt do it.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

I dont think magaret3 is far wrong with the expense point ,I agree with what she has said,we all have a budget to live within,and you do adapt,but the op really has to live it to appreciate the expense of everyday living,and to see what the flip side of the coin looks like.z
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Call me naive but If the Ozzies can manage then why can't we?!

Surely not everyone who moves over are going to well paid jobs. My children will be 6 and 2 when we move so I don't think they will be wanting to do alsorts of sporting activities etc. And when my son does start school I will look for a job to fit in school hours.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzyambrose

Surely not everyone who moves over are going to well paid jobs. My children will be 6 and 2 when we move so I don't think they will be wanting to do alsorts of sporting activities etc. And when my son does start school I will look for a job to fit in school hours.
Going off the figures from a poll held on BE some months ago, there are a disproportionate number of people here on over $100k pa. That will make many of us look at the numbers in a less than favourable light when people say they are going to make a go of it on $50k pa. Obviously it can be done on $50k pa because as you point out, plenty of Aussies manage it... BUT and its a big but, moving to the other side of the globe, taking a massive pay hit to do it, and then spending months and possibly years in a permanent financial struggle is not going to make for the most pleasurable of experiences...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't make the move and I'm not daft enough to think you would listen to me anyway even if I did say that, but just keep in mind that it sounds like you are setting yourselves up for a financial struggle and that's not something you have had to face for a while.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:53 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

• Established networks (friends and work contacts)
  • Extended family support (babysitting)
  • Non school hour part time jobs
  • Local knowledge of what price is right v "fresh off the boat r ya"
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
  • Established networks (friends and work contacts)
  • Extended family support (babysitting)
  • Non school hour part time jobs
  • Local knowledge of what price is right v "fresh off the boat r ya"

But surely some of those things come with time; the networks and local knowledge - no one's going to have that when theyre 'fresh off the boat'.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Going off the figures from a poll held on BE some months ago, there are a disproportionate number of people here on over $100k pa. That will make many of us look at the numbers in a less than favourable light when people say they are going to make a go of it on $50k pa. Obviously it can be done on $50k pa because as you point out, plenty of Aussies manage it... BUT and its a big but, moving to the other side of the globe, taking a massive pay hit to do it, and then spending months and possibly years in a permanent financial struggle is not going to make for the most pleasurable of experiences...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't make the move and I'm not daft enough to think you would listen to me anyway even if I did say that, but just keep in mind that it sounds like you are setting yourselves up for a financial struggle and that's not something you have had to face for a while.

I know what you're saying, and it's only what we would've found out when we got there but it's very disheartening.

Isn't everyone safe in the knowledge they can always move back to blighty?!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

I know what you're saying, and it's only what we would've found out when we got there but it's very disheartening.

Isn't everyone safe in the knowledge they can always move back to blighty?!

Now THAT is something that does require deep pockets.

Ping ponging is a damn expensive business.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now THAT is something that does require deep pockets.

Ping ponging is a damn expensive business.

Im just all a bit like that!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Im just all a bit like that!
I think if you sit down and logically weigh up the pros and cons of the move... then no bugger would come !!

It's a big, tortuous, decision to make. I'm from Manchester myself and while I can understand your reasons for wanting to leave the city its still a big wrench when it comes down to it...and its a bit of a leap into the dark.

If you are unsure of the decision then, as much as I took the Mick out of it, sit down and weigh it all up. What you are giving up, and why you are doing that, and what you hope to gain out of the move.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

But surely some of those things come with time; the networks and local knowledge - no one's going to have that when theyre 'fresh off the boat'.
No, you are quite right, but how just how much time it takes to get your foot in the door can be longer than you may think unfortunately. To be a successful migrant you have to be incredibly self sufficient and, to a degree, selfish because of all the emotional ties that you will get tugging you back to UK.

I go along with the others, personally I do think you will struggle on $50k. Although you will get some benefits as a permanent resident, when you think that, ball park, your rental is going to cost you $20 - $25k pa for a family and then you have bills on top of that then you will be tightening your belt for a while unless you come with a pretty significant buffer - expect to be out of work for at least 3 months and budget for that and then if you pick something up before then, you win. I know there are always spots for hairdressers but I cant say that I have seen too many for barbers - we have a few barbers around here but mostly elderly and family business types and some ethnic specialities so getting a foot in the door if you arent family or ethnic could be a bit of a trick - fortunately you arent planning on coming to Canberra though and Queensland may be different.

Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah that's a good idea.

For me the weather's a big factor; I know people seem to take the mick when you say this but I want my kids to be able to play outside without wellies and raincoats on, (the fresh air and exercise wouldn't do me any harm either!) It's the 6 week hols now and if you want to take them anywhere it's always indoor and you always end up spending £20 a go and it's a dear do. I want us to have a more outdoor lifestyle it seems a bit of a cliche now but it's true!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Yeah that's a good idea.

For me the weather's a big factor; I know people seem to take the mick when you say this but I want my kids to be able to play outside without wellies and raincoats on, (the fresh air and exercise wouldn't do me any harm either!) It's the 6 week hols now and if you want to take them anywhere it's always indoor and you always end up spending £20 a go and it's a dear do. I want us to have a more outdoor lifestyle it seems a bit of a cliche now but it's true!
The climate is, for the most part, a big plus point. More so at this time of year than mid-Summer. The last few weeks here, about 100k South of Sydney, have been excellent. About 20c most days and hardly a cloud to be seen.
Mid Summer can be another matter though. Not so much in my part of Oz, but temps can get very hot and that's just as limiting as the lousy wet and windy days in the UK. Don't underestimate just how hot the high 30's/ low 40's is, particularly if its accompanied with high humidity as well. Places turn into ghost towns when that happens as everybody heads indoors for the comfort of the aircon.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The climate is, for the most part, a big plus point. More so at this time of year than mid-Summer. The last few weeks here, about 100k South of Sydney, have been excellent. About 20c most days and hardly a cloud to be seen.
Mid Summer can be another matter though. Not so much in my part of Oz, but temps can get very hot and that's just as limiting as the lousy wet and windy days in the UK. Don't underestimate just how hot the high 30's/ low 40's is, particularly if its accompanied with high humidity as well. Places turn into ghost towns when that happens as everybody heads indoors for the comfort of the aircon.
....and you are not going to escape rain by coming to a place like Brisbane.

We have more rain here than most places in the UK
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and you are not going to escape rain by coming to a place like Brisbane.

We have more rain here than most places in the UK
Yep, and I have plenty more rain here than I ever saw in Manchester.... difference is it tends to come down in torrents.. then nothing for days, or even weeks, at a time. I could be wrong but I can't remember seeing any rain for a good month or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.