Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Wikiposts

Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Then I guess it's worth every penny!

Can you recommend any reasonably priced family friendly suburbs we should have a look at? With us only going to be staying in Brisbane for a short time I'd like to try and narrow the burbs down.
You know i really couldn't tell you anything about any other subrb than the one i'm in. I like where i am but what suits me may not suit you. i live in forest lake and its fine as far as i'm concerned, nice lake, shops, nice housing, decent schools. Others will probably tell you its too close to inala. But in all honesty, i've never had anything but a pleasant experience here. People here have been very pleasant with me and my son. and i go to get my hair cut in inala and i've never had a problem there either.

I am from the north east of england and if you compare the two, there is only one place i'd like my son to grow up. and thats why we are here.

I think some people somewimes compare parts of oz to the quaintest parts of the uk, like devon or the cotswolds or something. I prefer to compare the north east to where i am now. Both have great things and both have some not so great, but when all things are considered i think i'm in the right spot for now.

Jazzys
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by jazzys
You know i really couldn't tell you anything about any other subrb than the one i'm in. I like where i am but what suits me may not suit you. i live in forest lake and its fine as far as i'm concerned, nice lake, shops, nice housing, decent schools. Others will probably tell you its too close to inala. But in all honesty, i've never had anything but a pleasant experience here. People here have been very pleasant with me and my son. and i go to get my hair cut in inala and i've never had a problem there either.

I am from the north east of england and if you compare the two, there is only one place i'd like my son to grow up. and thats why we are here.

I think some people somewimes compare parts of oz to the quaintest parts of the uk, like devon or the cotswolds or something. I prefer to compare the north east to where i am now. Both have great things and both have some not so great, but when all things are considered i think i'm in the right spot for now.

Jazzys
It's true, I compare places to where I live now and to be honest I've not seen many places I like less than where I live. It definately depends on what kind of area you're coming from as to high you set your standards I think. What one person thinks is great place another might think it's like the bronx.

Ps where in the NE are you from? my Dad's from Middlesbrough
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

It's true, I compare places to where I live now and to be honest I've not seen many places I like less than where I live. It definately depends on what kind of area you're coming from as to high you set your standards I think. What one person thinks is great place another might think it's like the bronx.

Ps where in the NE are you from? my Dad's from Middlesbrough
I'm from spennymoor, about 4 miles south of durham.

Sooo ya dads a smoggy eh, now i know why ya moved to manchester haha

Jazzys
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

I'm from spennymoor, about 4 miles south of durham.

Sooo ya dads a smoggy eh, now i know why ya moved to manchester haha

Jazzys
Yeah he is, he even worked at ICI for a while lol. I moved to Manchester, he moved to Spain
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah he is, he even worked at ICI for a while lol. I moved to Manchester, he moved to Spain
so did you grow up in smoggsville then?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

so did you grow up in smoggsville then?
No not really I did live there for a while but then when my parents split up I was there in school holidays and stuff. I really love it there though, not the town centre but in the countryside where he lived, I don't have reason to go though now he's moved and grandparents passed away but I like to go once in a blue moon
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

No not really I did live there for a while but then when my parents split up I was there in school holidays and stuff. I really love it there though, not the town centre but in the countryside where he lived, I don't have reason to go though now he's moved and grandparents passed away but I like to go once in a blue moon
yeah there is some nice countryside around there. We spent a lot of time at whitby when we were kids. I'd love to go now just to take some photo's i think.

so whats your time scale for coming to oz then?

Jazzys
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

yeah there is some nice countryside around there. We spent a lot of time at whitby when we were kids. I'd love to go now just to take some photo's i think.

so whats your time scale for coming to oz then?

Jazzys
We went to Whitby a couple of months ago OH hadn't been before he loved it.

Well we're coming over for two weeks in October to validate and check out Melbourne and Brisbane and then we'll decide where we're going to make the move to and get the flights booked for next year probably end of August/beginning of September. In the meantime we'll prob put our house back on the market after xmas and hope for the best!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

We went to Whitby a couple of months ago OH hadn't been before he loved it.

Well we're coming over for two weeks in October to validate and check out Melbourne and Brisbane and then we'll decide where we're going to make the move to and get the flights booked for next year probably end of August/beginning of September. In the meantime we'll prob put our house back on the market after xmas and hope for the best!
Well good luck with the house, mine has been on the market in spennymoor for over two years.

could always meet ya for a beer in brisbane if ya fancy a chat and a little ride about.

jazzys
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Well good luck with the house, mine has been on the market in spennymoor for over two years.

could always meet ya for a beer in brisbane if ya fancy a chat and a little ride about.

jazzys
Oh dear sounds like you need somw luck too

That'd be great, will get in touch nearer the time
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear sounds like you need somw luck too

That'd be great, will get in touch nearer the time
I've almost forgot about it now to be honest, gunna rent it out after xmas.
Suzy i won't bite and i can honestly give you and your hubby a run about one day, take you to one or two spots that would save you a fortune in taxi's.

i was in your position once and i know how hard it can be.

Jazzys
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

I've almost forgot about it now to be honest, gunna rent it out after xmas.
Suzy i won't bite and i can honestly give you and your hubby a run about one day, take you to one or two spots that would save you a fortune in taxi's.

i was in your position once and i know how hard it can be.

Jazzys

Thanks Jazzys that's really great of you - did I mention we have two kids lol? I'm sure you don't want to drag a family of 4 around but we're hiring a car so maybe we can follow you!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

One thing you'll see on your reccie is that far fewer men/lads have a short haircut over here compared to the UK so he won't have a huge number of easy 'No 2 all over' clients.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure I'm not alone and wont be the first or last person to worry about this but I can't help but worrying about money when we finally move over . My husband's the only earner and that's been the case since we had our daughter almost 6 six years ago, and we manage fine here but we know he won't earn as much money when live in Oz and I can't help but think about all these unknown bills and outgoings we'll have - not knowing exactly how much he'll earn and if we'll manage. I know that Oz isn't always cheaper than the UK for stuff and I just don't know how we'll balance it out?
You will definately not want to hear this, but i think you will really, really struggle financially, i would consider it all very carefully, of course when in was sitting in scotland getting advice like this i ignored it, wish i had listenend now

Some costs i never took into consideration, were dental for the kids (costs a fortune ), glasses for my youngest and school fees, although they both go to good public schools (so good public schools means high house and rent prices, we currently rent and doubt we will ever buy due to house prices), you dont have to pay the public school fees (about 400-500 dollars per child), its more a moral obligation, i have paid it and glad i did, especially when i realised the ones who paid in the secondary schools got a more extensive report card and therefore the thers went through a fair bit of teasing also school books have to be bought in secondary the first year we were here it cost us around $1000 , but last year we got it down to $300 has my teen had found her way and new how to swap and buy books buy then.

So far coming from scotland and i find north of england and peeps from scotland usually find not just some things are more expensive, but everything is more expensive.

Last edited by Margaret3; Aug 9th 2009 at 12:25 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret3
You will definately not want to hear this, but i think you will really, really struggle financially, i would consider it all very carefully, of course when in was sitting in scotland getting advice like this i ignored it, wish i had listenend now

Some costs i never took into consideration, were dental for the kids (costs a fortune ), glasses for my youngest and school fees, although they both go to good public schools (so good public schools means high house and rent prices, we currently rent and doubt we will ever buy due to house prices), you dont have to pay the public school fees (about 400-500 dollars per child), its more a moral obligation, i have paid it and glad i did, especially when i realised the ones who paid in the secondary schools got a more extensive report card and therefore the thers went through a fair bit of teasing also school books have to be bought in secondary the first year we were here it cost us around $1000 , but last year we got it down to $300 has my teen had found her way and new how to swap and buy books buy then.

So far coming from scotland and i find north of england and peeps from scotland usually find not just some things are more expensive, but everything is more expensive.
Petrol is cheaper and i find the wages higher which almost accounts for the higher prices.
I find some things expensive here but i also get reports from the UK telling me the prices of groceries have shot up over there too.

Jazzys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.