Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Wikiposts

Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worrying about struggling when we make the move

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Well we won't know for def until we've done our reccie in October but Brisbane seems to be where most of job vacancys come up for my OH. Plus he wants to open his own shop after a year or so, so that would bring in more money than working for someone else. He earned about £20k until he opened his own shop here so we know we can manage on a lesser amount.

Thanks for the link
What does he do?
Sorry, being nosey so don't answer if you'd rather not!
Lots of luck anyway!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
What does he do?
Sorry, being nosey so don't answer if you'd rather not!
Lots of luck anyway!
It's ok! He's a barber
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

It's ok! He's a barber
Are they much in demand? I know nothing about barbers as my husband does youngest son & himself whilst I have to take the teenage son to a hairdresser!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:05 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they much in demand? I know nothing about barbers as my husband does youngest son & himself whilst I have to take the teenage son to a hairdresser!
Sheep shearer for you Sal?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Yeah, well they seem to be in Brissie anyway on the seek website 8 out of 10 barbers job vacancies are there.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
Sheep shearer for you Sal?
One track mind you have there KP!

Yeah, well they seem to be in Brissie anyway on the seek website 8 out of 10 barbers job vacancies are there.
Oh good I am sure that when you do your reccie, you will be able to ge a really good idea of the situation.
When are you hoping to come over for good?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

One track mind you have there KP!

Oh good I am sure that when you do your reccie, you will be able to ge a really good idea of the situation.
When are you hoping to come over for good?
Unfortunately we're only getting to spend 4 days in Brisbane so have got to get round as many suburbs as we can and maybe he'll pop his head in some barber shops while we're there.

Hopefully make the move at the end of next summer, when we come back in October we're gonna start some mad saving and then put the house on the market (again) after xmas. Hopefully it will sell this time
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unfortunately we're only getting to spend 4 days in Brisbane so have got to get round as many suburbs as we can and maybe he'll pop his head in some barber shops while we're there.

Hopefully make the move at the end of next summer, when we come back in October we're gonna start some mad saving and then put the house on the market (again) after xmas. Hopefully it will sell this time
House market still no better?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

House market still no better?
It's supposed to be getting better slowly but a nurse I saw a couple of weeks ago who's also moving to Oz said she's been told by a couple of estate agents to leave it until after xmas to put her house on the market. Our house is a 2 bedroomed so it will appeal to first time buyers so if they're getting mortgages we'll have a better chance!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's supposed to be getting better slowly but a nurse I saw a couple of weeks ago who's also moving to Oz said she's been told by a couple of estate agents to leave it until after xmas to put her house on the market. Our house is a 2 bedroomed so it will appeal to first time buyers so if they're getting mortgages we'll have a better chance!
Well I wish you lots of luck with that aprticular stressor!
Hope it all goes well for you & look forward to your update!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I wish you lots of luck with that aprticular stressor!
Hope it all goes well for you & look forward to your update!
Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

dunno if its a help or not but me and my lad visit the barbers and get the cheapest cut which is a number 2 all over. Costs us 15 dollars each.

I live with my son and only have my income but obviously i haven't got a family to feed like you, but i only earn around the 50k mark.

you'll get help i would imagine, family tax credits part A and B i would think, and maybe rent assistance too, if thats what you plan to do.

i live in brisbane so if you wanna ask me anything feel free

Jazzys
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jazzys
dunno if its a help or not but me and my lad visit the barbers and get the cheapest cut which is a number 2 all over. Costs us 15 dollars each.

I live with my son and only have my income but obviously i haven't got a family to feed like you, but i only earn around the 50k mark.

you'll get help i would imagine, family tax credits part A and B i would think, and maybe rent assistance too, if thats what you plan to do.

i live in brisbane so if you wanna ask me anything feel free

Jazzys

My OH's jaw hit the floor when I told him the price of you're haircuts - he charges about £4.50 for that lol! I think he'll def open his own shop if people want to pay those kinds of prices unless your barbers are looking for a great british barber

I can't think of anything off the top off my head to ask but if I do I will let you know, thanks.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

My OH's jaw hit the floor when I told him the price of you're haircuts - he charges about £4.50 for that lol! I think he'll def open his own shop if people want to pay those kinds of prices unless your barbers are looking for a great british barber

I can't think of anything off the top off my head to ask but if I do I will let you know, thanks.
I really couldn't speculate on how many people are willing to pay those prices but i do know that my son doesn't trust me to cut his hair and i don't trust him to cut mine either

Good luck with your move

Jazzys
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jazzys
I really couldn't speculate on how many people are willing to pay those prices but i do know that my son doesn't trust me to cut his hair and i don't trust him to cut mine either

Good luck with your move

Jazzys
Then I guess it's worth every penny!

Can you recommend any reasonably priced family friendly suburbs we should have a look at? With us only going to be staying in Brisbane for a short time I'd like to try and narrow the burbs down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.