Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by Shard
The report doesn't seem to grasp the concept of recursive learning. Still if Oz can re-train an army of redundant office staff, retail workers and and drivers into AI engineers, more power to them.
You picked 3 occupations that are in very high demand today, despite all this AI floating around.

Here's the thing. Job type migration happens over time. See blacksmith. There is no doubt in 50 years time, a train driver might not be a required skill, but just like all those milkman out there, time allowed for a job type shift, and with all these new occupations appearing, and the masses acquiring skills, the future is rosey.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You picked 3 occupations that are in very high demand today, despite all this AI floating around.

Here's the thing. Job type migration happens over time. See blacksmith. There is no doubt in 50 years time, a train driver might not be a required skill, but just like all those milkman out there, time allowed for a job type shift, and with all these new occupations appearing, and the masses acquiring skills, the future is rosey.
I think the future is rosy too, it's just that I think the machines will be doing all the work. Well, 3/4 of the work.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I think the future is rosy too, it's just that I think the machines will be doing all the work. Well, 3/4 of the work.
An LSE economist was predicting that automation would take jobs, but not until the next recession :

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0..._threatens_it/

Personally I think he's taking much too much of a rosy view - since the rule seems to be that threatened idiots vote far right, and far right give the billionaires tax breaks at the expense of those same threatened idiots. I do think the switch will come fast, and external to any recession (except it will cause one).

I do wish those people who think new jobs will miraculously appear for the threatened idiots to do would explain what they are - because I can't think of any mass employment opportunities that make sense.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Not so sure it will be that fast Gary. Unless you call 30 years fast. Drones are now dead in the water for delivery purposes as far as I can tell..... Even automated vehicle delivery is taking a backward step. I'm talking purely parcels here. Parcel Lockers are springing up everywhere. Plus looks like the car boot could also be a future mass used delivery point. All I see in our industry is Automation at the final point getting pushed further and further out in it's predicitons.

One thing that will happen I'm sure though.... Ownership is about to finish and subscriptions for just about everything is just around the corner..... From Clothes to Vehicles and probably even groceries.

Subscribe to vehicles
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
since the rule seems to be that threatened idiots vote far right, and far right give the billionaires tax breaks at the expense of those same threatened idiots.
Billionaires get the same tax breaks as everyone else.

I do wish those people who think new jobs will miraculously appear for the threatened idiots to do would explain what they are - because I can't think of any mass employment opportunities that make sense.
Was it the same Garry that said this in 1985 before the mass use of digital data and the masses of jobs that came with it - including your own?
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't put it better that the great Henry Hazlitt:
Joe Smith is thrown out of a job by the introduction of some new machine. “Keep your eye on Joe Smith,” these writers insist. “Never lose track of Joe Smith.” But what they then proceed to do is to keep their eyes only on Joe Smith, and to forget Tom Jones, who has just got a new job in making the new machine, and Ted Brown, who has just got a job operating one, and Daisy Miller, who can now buy a coat for half what it used to cost her. And because they think only of Joe Smith, they end by advocating reactionary and nonsensical policies.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:50 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Sooo much BS in my line of work.

I have spent my entire working life in IT service/support, from the roots/coalface to the top of the 20k IT workforce tree. I am just retired, and through my entire working career i was told experts were working hard to make my role redundant. In truth the only truth is that change is a constant. The workload and numbers of people employed just increases every year, sometimes exponentially. Its been a great little earner and career, but nobody can ever tell me that numbers of people working in IT will shrink in the forseeable future. I can see it now, following the singularity, multivac will outsource polishing his carapace which will require another 10k polishing certified preferably experienced exoskeleton technicians with both microsoft developer and gujerati.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Not so sure it will be that fast Gary. Unless you call 30 years fast. Drones are now dead in the water for delivery purposes as far as I can tell..... Even automated vehicle delivery is taking a backward step. I'm talking purely parcels here. Parcel Lockers are springing up everywhere. Plus looks like the car boot could also be a future mass used delivery point. All I see in our industry is Automation at the final point getting pushed further and further out in it's predicitons.

One thing that will happen I'm sure though.... Ownership is about to finish and subscriptions for just about everything is just around the corner..... From Clothes to Vehicles and probably even groceries.
I'd agree with people pushing subscription rather than ownership (certainly the way cars are going to go). However I can't square that with automation being far off, particularly for parcels. At the very least it makes an autonomous van that turns up outside your house with a chute and your parcel an easy thing to achieve. Let alone the flying autonomous vehicles.

5 years, tops.

And the white collar jobs are even easier to automate.

So, millions of jobs, all firmly in the firing line.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

I have spent my entire working life in IT service/support, from the roots/coalface to the top of the 20k IT workforce tree. I am just retired, and through my entire working career i was told experts were working hard to make my role redundant. In truth the only truth is that change is a constant. The workload and numbers of people employed just increases every year, sometimes exponentially. Its been a great little earner and career, but nobody can ever tell me that numbers of people working in IT will shrink in the forseeable future. I can see it now, following the singularity, multivac will outsource polishing his carapace which will require another 10k polishing certified preferably experienced exoskeleton technicians with both microsoft developer and gujerati.
And he'll want an Excel spreadsheet too
Old Jun 8th 2018, 5:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Subscribe to vehicles
Agree about drone delivery - not in the foreseeable future anyway
Old Jun 8th 2018, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But the blinked do see IT jobs diminishing because the IT support geeks who once sat in the corner of the London office are now multiplied by 10 and sitting in the Pune office.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd agree with people pushing subscription rather than ownership (certainly the way cars are going to go). However I can't square that with automation being far off, particularly for parcels. At the very least it makes an autonomous van that turns up outside your house with a chute and your parcel an easy thing to achieve. Let alone the flying autonomous vehicles.

5 years, tops.
A chute? How does that work - It just pushes the parcel over the white picket fence? Really? Is that how it works in Werribee?

And the white collar jobs are even easier to automate.

So, millions of jobs, all firmly in the firing line.
White collar jobs have been automated for decades. Why do we still have white collar jobs?
Old Jun 8th 2018, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure what happen to your formatting there Ozzie but your links are all about securing deliveries, not automating deliveries.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 7:06 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
But the blinked do see IT jobs diminishing because the IT support geeks who once sat in the corner of the London office are now multiplied by 10 and sitting in the Pune office.
nope, sorry but I was employed 18 months ago by a large bank to punish an IT supplier who decided to base their support in Hyderabad, they are a total disaster, cheap, worthy of talking in call centres to proles, but as techies a waste of oxygen. Smart expensive people trump hordes of the less able when you need quality, it has ever been thus. In total cost/benefit terms they are actually cheaper too.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 7:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

nope, sorry but I was employed 18 months ago by a large bank to punish an IT supplier who decided to base their support in Hyderabad, they are a total disaster, cheap, worthy of talking in call centres to proles, but as techies a waste of oxygen. Smart expensive people trump hordes of the less able when you need quality, it has ever been thus. In total cost/benefit terms they are actually cheaper too.

Same in engineering. Sure, you can get your project designed cheaply in Bangalore, but after the 6th re-work to get it right (not to mention the added time) it would have been cheaper to get it done in Perth or London

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.