Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
When are the fold over phones coming.... .The ones that give ability to read A4 size pages without scrolling, I thought it was this year?
Was supposed to be this year, but might be pushed back. Reportedly apple is now looking at it too, but Samsung have head start.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung...ews-26842.html
Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Was supposed to be this year, but might be pushed back. Reportedly apple is now looking at it too, but Samsung have head start.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung...ews-26842.html

Bugga, I figure that could well be the final death knell of everyday mail, make a huge impact at least.... Shame it's so far off.

We don't seem to be moving as fast on many fronts as I hoped..... including driverless.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting move from Ford, at least in the US market.

They are going to effectively dump normal cars, cutting back to just the Mustang and a crossover. Everything else will be trucks/SUVs/etc. And they are going to move hard to hybrids, and to electric vehicles, with a performance utility in 2020 and 16 battery vehicles by 2022.

And then there's the robotaxis, which obviously work with batteries better than conventional cars. I'd guess many of those 16 vehicles will be targeted at that market - the robotaxi is likely to be classified as a truck. More minivan than sedan.

Things will change dramatically over the next 5 years - and if you didn't think they were serious, they are.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/25/fo...-focus-active/
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

They are going to effectively dump normal cars, cutting back to just the Mustang and a crossover. Everything else will be trucks/SUVs/etc. And they are going to move hard to hybrids, and to electric vehicles, with a performance utility in 2020 and 16 battery vehicles by 2022.

And then there's the robotaxis, which obviously work with batteries better than conventional cars. I'd guess many of those 16 vehicles will be targeted at that market - the robotaxi is likely to be classified as a truck. More minivan than sedan.

Things will change dramatically over the next 5 years - and if you didn't think they were serious, they are.

Well, I'm waiting and feel like i've been waiting for some kind of progress for the past 3 years or so now.

Slight digression and one I applaud wholeheartedly, Amazon are now delivering directly to parked cars as a proper address now, which is a great idea...not sure how they manage to get them into them automatically and have it lodged as securely delivered. Obviously, they've found a (software) way and it takes away the parcel locker issue for households somewhat.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

No mention of Robotaxi's but it makes perfect sense to head in the direction they are.

Transportation of goods is a massively growing industry and if they can put fuel efficiency at the forefront of consumer choice, like the airline industry has, then its going to be very interesting for the oil market.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
No mention of Robotaxi's but it makes perfect sense to head in the direction they are.
It's in the original press release, but not explicitly spelled out. Talk of autonomous vehicles and 16 electric vehicles - but no conventional cars.

Transportation of goods is a massively growing industry and if they can put fuel efficiency at the forefront of consumer choice, like the airline industry has, then its going to be very interesting for the oil market.
Just think of the plants they are going to close in the US. If they have only SUV/crossovers and Mustangs then there are whole classes of engine, drivetrain, etc. that they don't need.

The thing that I think they've realised is that a robotaxi doesn't look like the hatchback or sedan of today - and they are shifting now to be ready for where they expect to be.

It helps that they haven't been particularly profitable on the conventional cars they have been selling. They can get away with higher margins in the SUV market.

It also means that when they do launch the robotaxies, they won't be hurting their own sales as much, which means they can go harder on it without the shareholders screaming.
Old May 8th 2018, 1:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I tended to consider that more rural vehicles (and those that claim to be for appearance sake) would be later to the automation/robotaxi game. The lack of good roads and roadmarkings seemed to need the manual controls etc.

However, research by MIT suggests that there are solutions for the yokels that can make automation a general thing, and probably EVs with it.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ds-without-map
Old May 8th 2018, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I tended to consider that more rural vehicles (and those that claim to be for appearance sake) would be later to the automation/robotaxi game. The lack of good roads and roadmarkings seemed to need the manual controls etc.

However, research by MIT suggests that there are solutions for the yokels that can make automation a general thing, and probably EVs with it.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ds-without-map
Given where Lidar and Photogammetry are today it amazes me that this stuff is still being messed around with at universities.

This crowd from Adelaide are flying the Australian cities on a regular basis. No reason why they couldn't be doing the country side too. There are many other companies flying too. The cameras they are using aren't basics either.

Photogammetry for the existing context. Lidar for the just in time ground level needs.

http://aero3dpro.com.au/Melbourne2017
Old May 8th 2018, 11:03 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Google I/O kicked off overnight, with the star of the show probably being Google Duplex - an AI that does certain constrained tasks for you, over the phone :

you can see how this is an extension of the Google Home type AI, but if they don't apply it to get rid of the other end of the call, the call centre, I'll be shocked.

They also had an update on Waymo, with video of Google's car, which is driving members of the public around, without a 'safety' driver, and with the people in the back seats....

Old May 10th 2018, 11:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work, "Lisa" !

I wonder how much processing power the Waymo vehicles require to run deep nets? Presumably the AI is on board (in the vehicle) and not simply linked by a data network?
Old May 11th 2018, 1:25 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Shard
Nice work, "Lisa" !

I wonder how much processing power the Waymo vehicles require to run deep nets? Presumably the AI is on board (in the vehicle) and not simply linked by a data network?
A lot.

Waymo use intel chips, and there is talk of needing 2.5kW to power the processing. Obviously as they refine algorithms and only deploy processing power when needed; and with new purpose designed chips, that will come down. Probably will end up at the GPU level of processing power/electrical power.

The nVidia chip aimed at this market does 30 trillion operations per second, for 30W of power. Final version will need more, but optimisation will cut the load and Moore's law will eat into the power requirements.
Old May 12th 2018, 2:44 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My latest project is using UIPath to automate repetitive tasks.

It’s keeping me in guitar strings and extra soft bog roll.

I’m in favour of it.

If you can’t beat Skynet, join it.
Old May 12th 2018, 10:15 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty cool.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ha ..... well Jason .... you've changed your tune.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/australia-needs-to-embrace-automation-or-risk-missing-a-22-trillion-boom/news-story/23b2608dec515e3749601d46bac6143d

I have known Jason for many years and we have had this discussion many times. He never took my point of view. Looks like he's seen the light. Must give him a call over the weekend.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 8:58 pm
Yo

Ha ..... well Jason .... you've changed your tune.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...601d46bac6143d

I have known Jason for many years and we have had this discussion many times. He never took my point of view. Looks like he's seen the light. Must give him a call over the weekend.
The report doesn't seem to grasp the concept of recursive learning. Still if Oz can re-train an army of redundant office staff, retail workers and and drivers into AI engineers, more power to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.