Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by GarryP

In short, although it will take research work, I wouldn't want to be owning a cattle station the day after someone solves the remaining problems.
Know plenty of people here in Ireland who are doing well and there's now a huge demand for quality across the globe, so while technology improves people still want the original.

Melons seem to be going well in Japan
The $23,000 cataloupe, and other expensive melons | Mental Floss
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Know plenty of people here in Ireland who are doing well and there's now a huge demand for quality across the globe, so while technology improves people still want the original.
Of course.

But everyone else, particularly those with no job since they have been automated away, will chow down on vat grown kobe beef, smoked salmon, etc.

Which accounts for quite a bit of the land use in central australia.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That was sarcasm, right?

Actually I'm thinking that there is a nice business and patent opportunity in solving those problems. I have some thoughts....
Start a business then. Wait a minute. That means you will provide jobs.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

In short, although it will take research work, I wouldn't want to be owning a cattle station the day after someone solves the remaining problems.
Ah research work. More jobs.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

smoked salmon,
Ah more fish farms. More jobs.

The Chinese don't eat crap any more. They demand better.

India next.

Its all about volume.

More jobs.

Last edited by Beoz; Jun 10th 2016 at 11:55 am.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:06 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Start a business then. Wait a minute. That means you will provide jobs.
Hell no, haven't you been paying attention at ALL ?

Ah research work. More jobs.
Strangely so many of these short term jobs are research BUT the wages of researchers still hasn't gone up. There's a lesson there somewhere....

Ah more fish farms. More jobs.
Nope, fish grown in the test tube. If anything easier than beef.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we'll never agree, but life will go on until nature gets us, or we kill ourselves. Automation just doesn't mean job losses and the government in the Western World will always find ways how to employ people, even if it's worthless.

You say fish grown in tubes? Well Astronaut food has been around since the 60's and you just have to go to a hospital. People still prefer a proper Steak and are willing to pay more than ever if it's decent quality.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hell no, haven't you been paying attention at ALL ?
Attention yes, agree no.

Strangely so many of these short term jobs are research BUT the wages of researchers still hasn't gone up. There's a lesson there somewhere....
Research projects are short term. Research jobs are not. I think you may be confusing the 2.

Nope, fish grown in the test tube. If anything easier than beef.
Fish don't fit in test tubes unless of course you are into sardines.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Taxi drivers don't up skill to become software developers. The software developer jobs at Uber are most likely already filled. The requirement for software developers lowers when programming becomes more intelligent. There are plenty of roles to up skill in my career. Less opportunities for someone in a transport career or catering career. All the while the population is growing.

It makes sense that companies want to employ as few people as possible. When they can replace three humans with one script sitting on one machine thats shared by hundred of companies, the answer is obvious. The industrial age was about creating jobs. The IT age is about needing fewer jobs. And when pretty much all industries have established or are looking for their window into online trading, we're heading in the opposite direction in terms of job creation. That does worry me but I don't necessarily see it as the wrong approach. It could be the right one. But if it leads to mass unemployment, there needs to be regulation to ensure that it works for all of us. My other fear is that this regulation will come and will mean a base salary much lower than welfare payments but paid by corporations. People will be given their weekly shopping and then an allowance to buy an appliance of their choice or a tv subscription at no charge but with 60% advertisements. Yes, I think we're heading to proper corporate control over us once they suck away the jobs in favour of a few lines of scheduled code.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Taxi drivers don't up skill to become software developers. The software developer jobs at Uber are most likely already filled. The requirement for software developers lowers when programming becomes more intelligent. There are plenty of roles to up skill in my career. Less opportunities for someone in a transport career or catering career. All the while the population is growing.

It makes sense that companies want to employ as few people as possible. When they can replace three humans with one script sitting on one machine thats shared by hundred of companies, the answer is obvious. The industrial age was about creating jobs. The IT age is about needing fewer jobs. And when pretty much all industries have established or are looking for their window into online trading, we're heading in the opposite direction in terms of job creation. That does worry me but I don't necessarily see it as the wrong approach. It could be the right one. But if it leads to mass unemployment, there needs to be regulation to ensure that it works for all of us. My other fear is that this regulation will come and will mean a base salary much lower than welfare payments but paid by corporations. People will be given their weekly shopping and then an allowance to buy an appliance of their choice or a tv subscription at no charge but with 60% advertisements. Yes, I think we're heading to proper corporate control over us once they suck away the jobs in favour of a few lines of scheduled code.
Uber drivers are already programmers, like the guy who drive me tonight. He wanted some extra cash to buy a house, along side his web business, so he told me.

The point is all the guys who drive for Uber wouldn't be driving for Uber without Automation. You know ...... that app on your phone and all the back end tech that goes with it. More jobs created.

I think you want to believe Automation is a job killer without evidence to back it up. Speculative academic articles don't count.

Last edited by Beoz; Jun 11th 2016 at 1:31 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Uber drivers are already programmers, like the guy who drive me tonight. He wanted some extra cash to buy a house, along side his web business, so he told me.

The point is all the guys who drive for Uber wouldn't be driving for Uber without Automation. You know ...... that app on your phone and all the back end tech that goes with it. More jobs created.

I think you want to believe Automation is a job killer without evidence to back it up. Speculative academic articles don't count.
You mean apart from the actual evidence that automation takes jobs? No speculation required. Jobs are being lost due to automation. The question is, will more jobs be created in other ways to cater for them? Uber is now looking at ways to remove those jobs. And as I said before, I'm not against automation or innovation. It's just important that we stay on top of it. No point in giving tax cuts to business that take that money and cut jobs. There is no way I'd expect you to grasp that concept as your head is in the clouds when it comes to the idea of regulation for business.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
You mean apart from the actual evidence that automation takes jobs? No speculation required. Jobs are being lost due to automation. The question is, will more jobs be created in other ways to cater for them? Uber is now looking at ways to remove those jobs. And as I said before, I'm not against automation or innovation. It's just important that we stay on top of it. No point in giving tax cuts to business that take that money and cut jobs. There is no way I'd expect you to grasp that concept as your head is in the clouds when it comes to the idea of regulation for business.
Depends what you want to talk about. If you believe we face mass unemployment because of Automation, lets talk.

You say Uber is now looking to cut jobs but lets not forget the nearly 7000 full time jobs its created and the hundreds of thousands of contract driver positions it has globally. All in the space of a few years.

Automation creates jobs. There's your evidence.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think we'll never agree, but life will go on until nature gets us, or we kill ourselves. Automation just doesn't mean job losses and the government in the Western World will always find ways how to employ people, even if it's worthless.

You say fish grown in tubes? Well Astronaut food has been around since the 60's and you just have to go to a hospital. People still prefer a proper Steak and are willing to pay more than ever if it's decent quality.
Always find ways? Is that so? Any thoughts on the recent one payment for all things recently rejected by Switzerland then? (around $3,400 a month)Or the Cameron government talk of one payment of GBP 144 (I believe weekly)
Talk on the street, at least in Switzerland, was that it was planned in preparation for ever larger numbers of idle people, due to coming changes and to ensure a retention of social harmony during the process.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

There's nothing like a lawyer for trying to force fit reality into their existing legal structures :

Europe's robots to become 'electronic persons' under draft plan | Reuters

"I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
Old Jun 26th 2016, 1:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

It's ships that on the automation chopping block now.

Rolls Royce reveals remote controlled 'roboships' will take to the sea by 2020 | Daily Mail Online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.