Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I've mentioned it twice, hardly droning on about it

The fact that I've wasted 20 minutes of your day on this humours me somewhat

You say 'un-shootable', and in reply I and hoards of bogans say 'challenge accepted'

The uneducated masses will be heard again haha
I miss shooting

Count me in
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
If you shoot down my drone, the crime will happen after
You'll never know it was me, I'll be dressed as a clown. You might assume it was Garry
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to get my pizza delivered by a hi-tech military grade drone. But since you mention cameras, how are they going to get past the fact joe public doesn't want to be filmed? If I walk into JB Hi-fi I expect and accept that I'll be filmed, if I'm laying in my back garden reading the Sun and having a tug, I don't.
The drones need cameras to navigate - they are already going to be there.

And there have already been court cases that have determined that lying in your back garden, you have no expectation of privacy (people can look over the fence, planes can fly over, etc.)
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GarryP
The drones need cameras to navigate - they are already going to be there.

And there have already been court cases that have determined that lying in your back garden, you have no expectation of privacy (people can look over the fence, planes can fly over, etc.)
Then if they fly over my garden, ie: my air space I will consider it an act of war and launch a pre-emptive strike. In all seriousness, that is a bullshit reasoning, how are they going to prove to me that they're not intentionally spying on me? I will at least be making a wanker sign at every one I see. Erosion of civil liberties anyone?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to get my pizza delivered by a hi-tech military grade drone. But since you mention cameras, how are they going to get past the fact joe public doesn't want to be filmed? If I walk into JB Hi-fi I expect and accept that I'll be filmed, if I'm laying in my back garden reading the Sun and having a tug, I don't.
Someones drone with your gun might take the little fella out
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beoz
Someones drone with your gun might take the little fella out
If his timing's right he'll take the wife's head off with the same shot.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If his timing's right he'll take the wife's head off with the same shot.
Ha.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You'll never know it was me, I'll be dressed as a clown. You might assume it was Garry
If I ever get one, I'll camouflage it as Seven of Nine. It will make an excellent drone.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Luddites are just easy targets.

https://cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/futurism.com/technology-and-the-future-of-work/amp/
Old Feb 14th 2017, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The Luddites are just easy targets.

https://cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/futur...e-of-work/amp/
Indeed

Aristotle wrote about technological unemployment in the 4th century......

So technological unemployment has been happening forever but there have been periods where the discussion about it has come to the fore - early 19th century Britain obviously, as farming mechanised in the western world towards the end of that century, in the 1920s and 1930s, in the 1960s and 1990s - and now

In pure, brutal terms it breaks down into simple economics - if the 2% want to keep making money out of the 98% it aint going to happen if the 98% have no jobs and are on the bones of their arse! I also reckon that the vast majority of the 2% don't want to live in a world where they have to cower behind walls, in constant fear of the 98% rising up, knicking all of their money and chopping their heads off

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 14th 2017 at 2:43 am.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
if the 2% want to keep making money out of the 98% it aint going to happen of the 98% have no jobs and are on the bones of their arse!
Absolutely. Someone needs to buy the stuff that pays for the automation.

Last edited by Beoz; Feb 14th 2017 at 3:34 am.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

In pure, brutal terms it breaks down into simple economics - if the 2% want to keep making money out of the 98% it aint going to happen of the 98% have no jobs and are on the bones of their arse! I also reckon that the vast majority of the 2% don't want to live in a world where they have to cower behind walls, in constant fear of the 98% rising up, knicking all of their money and chopping their heads off

Unless, Not that I subscribe to the idea...Still I'm keeping half an eye on it.

Rich Silicon Valley doomsday 'preppers' buying up New Zealand land

The 'boltholes with airstrips' in New Zealand being bought by the world's super-rich | Daily Mail Online

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-of-the-world
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

So they get their heads chopped off and their money knicked by the Kiwi 98% - and the Aussie 98% who make it over there

It would be fun watching some of those Maori bikers getting stuck into 'em

A ridiculous idea and not a solution
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

And another thing, why would the 2% automate the world to a degree that would make this a reality. It makes zero sense because from that moment, their ability to keep making money is virtually gone
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:14 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people will agree that most manual labour has been overtaken by machines in most parts of the first world. You might have someone to control/operate the machine, but there are generally less than a tenth the number of people that would otherwise have been employed. Often less than a hundredth.

If they aren't doing those manual jobs, what are they doing.

Well there's the semi skilled jobs. Repetitively work doing jobs that can be trained in a few weeks to a few months. The kind of thing that can be defined in a process manual.

The kind of jobs we are talking about when we talk about the automation that's forthcoming.

If you want to stand up the premiss that new jobs will arise that replace the manual and semi skilled jobs as they are automated - you need to say what they are, even in general terms.

Your answer needs to be couched in the terms of
  • no dependence on manual effort (we know those jobs have gone)
  • no more intelligence than is needed to follow rules
  • no new capabilities than those that the people doing those rote jobs currently possess
  • sufficient scale to match the size of the problem
Frankly, I'm not seeing them, but if you have ideas that match the above, I'd love to hear them.

If the industrial revolution got rid of the manual jobs, and the IT revolution the manual data processing ones, then the automation revolution gets rid of the pattern matching ones - the rule book based. If there were replacements, you ought to be able to point to them now - and all I'm seeing are the 'human touch' ones where being human is a real advantage. And the only way I can see that working at sufficient scale is domestic servants - upstairs and downstairs returning because how otherwise do you keep 50% of the population alive and engaged?

The biggest problem here is the intersection between the profit focused capitalist economy and the similarity of classes of job. Once automation of job X has been achieved, the time for ALL those jobs to be automated is very short. Thus trying to deal with the slug of newly unemployed isn't gradual - it's a sudden x million people, all with similar skills, all without jobs.

And worse, if you play with the deep learning AI stuff at all, you realise that succeeding in automating one task tends to mean the whole class of similar tasks tend to fall to slightly retuned approaches from the first. So it's not just the driving jobs, it's the pilots, it's robots manoeuvring around human environments, vacuuming a carpet, painting a wall.

At the end you reach a situation where the status quo can be maintained with relatively few people - and the roles of humans will be in upsetting that status quo. Which draws it's own picture politically...

It's the whole concept of work that's going to undergo massive revision, not just what particular jobs are. And that probably means what money is will undergo just as massive as revision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.