Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Dec 15th 2016, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

2 KG items?

That represents a very small basket size of offering.

Not really in my opinion going to make economic sense even before packaged items arrive at drone dispatch point.

Amazon are in for a big shock when they arrive. New player has been waiting in the back ground. With lower cost base, more advanced warehousing, and a highly motivated staff incentivized beyond the budget of the mighty Amazon.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Not sure how the picker wins out of this?
They still get paid

They gradually get to spend more time on play rather than work

Same pay less hours

40 hours down to 4 hours

4 hours remains because no one longer term wants to miss out on free daily lunch
Old Dec 15th 2016, 1:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
2 KG items?

Amazon are targeting a 25kg drone, carrying a 2.25kg parcel. However, that encompasses 86% of their deliveries.

Amazon are in for a big shock when they arrive. New player has been waiting in the back ground. With lower cost base, more advanced warehousing, and a highly motivated staff incentivized beyond the budget of the mighty Amazon.
So who is this masked corporate knight?

And why would they wait for Amazon to turn up before launching this lower cost, more advanced, better funded offering?
Old Dec 15th 2016, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

2 KG items?

Not really in my opinion going to make economic sense even before packaged items arrive at drone dispatch point.

2kg is the max weight for drone and parcel before you need to start applying to CASA and paying the fee for every flight you do.

It aint gonna happen.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:41 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
2kg is the max weight for drone and parcel before you need to start applying to CASA and paying the fee for every flight you do.

It aint gonna happen.
Too right it ain't.

Unrestricted operation of drones up to 50kg in autonomous operation for licenced operators. It'll happen, as I say, CASA don't have enough friends or political capital for it not to happen.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm gett'n me a rifle for Christmas
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I'm gett'n me a rifle for Christmas
You'll need a license for that too.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beoz
You'll need a license for that too.
What if I shoot an unlicensed drone down with an unlicensed rifle? Has a crime been committed? Who has the moral high ground? Or even an un-licensed drone with a licensed rifle?

I'm not gonna sleep tonight now

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Dec 15th 2016 at 10:02 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

What if I shoot an unlicensed drone down with an unlicensed rifle? Has a crime been committed? Who has the moral high ground? Or even an un-licensed drone with a licensed rifle?

War of the Drones

Great business to get into

Attack Drones

Great fun I would expect for search and destroy missions

Banzai
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:03 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Actually, since you keep mentioning this, I've done a little research. Seems that it's actually not that easy to defeat drones, even simple ones.

If the drone is down low, you don't have much time. Let's say it's down at 100m above the ground. And it's moving 80kph.

80kph = 22 ms-1
250m of travel to engage = 12 secs

and that's if it goes directly overhead. So you only have a limited time to fire on it, assuming you detect it in time. If it's higher you have longer, but it's much harder to hit. It's pretty much akin to shooting birds, and for the same reason you need a shotgun.

However, given the size and speed of the pellets, armouring the key components isn't that hard.

As the Israelis have found, taking out simple drones is anything but simple. Even with their experience, various of their opponents have managed to fly drones into sensitive areas and the israelis have failed to take them down.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, since you keep mentioning this, I've done a little research. Seems that it's actually not that easy to defeat drones, even simple ones.

If the drone is down low, you don't have much time. Let's say it's down at 100m above the ground. And it's moving 80kph.

80kph = 22 ms-1

and that's if it goes directly overhead. So you only have a limited time to fire on it, assuming you detect it in time. If it's higher you have longer, but it's much harder to hit. It's pretty much akin to shooting birds, and for the same reason you need a shotgun.

However, given the size and speed of the pellets, armouring the key components isn't that hard.

As the Israelis have found, taking out simple drones is anything but simple. Even with their experience, various of their opponents have managed to fly drones into sensitive areas and the israelis have failed to take them down.
Good fun trying though

In the army you're taught to lead a target that is moving across your field of view. Admittedly easier with a shotgun but an experienced shooter with a rifle will be getting it done. If the drone is coming straight towards or away from you, then pretty easy to target

Hit a prop and that drone is going down. Even better would be hitting the battery........
Old Dec 16th 2016, 12:56 am
Account Closed

80kph = 22 ms-1

I've mentioned it twice, hardly droning on about it

The fact that I've wasted 20 minutes of your day on this humours me somewhat

You say 'un-shootable', and in reply I and hoards of bogans say 'challenge accepted'

The uneducated masses will be heard again haha
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

If you shoot down my drone, the crime will happen after
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:07 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I've mentioned it twice, hardly droning on about it

The fact that I've wasted 20 minutes of your day on this humours me somewhat
Didn't take 20mins for a spot of research and a back of the envelope calc.

You say 'un-shootable', and in reply I and hoards of bogans say 'challenge accepted'

The uneducated masses will be heard again haha
Hmm, so a hoard of bogans is going to do what the Israeli military can't? Particularly considering the gun regulations making it not so easy to get a hoard of bogan shotguns. And the camera. And the reality that these drones are going to be delivering parcels, booze, pizzas, etc. to these same bogans...

Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Didn't take 20mins for a spot of research and a back of the envelope calc.

Hmm, so a hoard of bogans is going to do what the Israeli military can't? Particularly considering the gun regulations making it not so easy to get a hoard of bogan shotguns. And the camera. And the reality that these drones are going to be delivering parcels, booze, pizzas, etc. to these same bogans...

I can't wait to get my pizza delivered by a hi-tech military grade drone. But since you mention cameras, how are they going to get past the fact joe public doesn't want to be filmed? If I walk into JB Hi-fi I expect and accept that I'll be filmed, if I'm laying in my back garden reading the Sun and having a tug, I don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.