Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Nov 17th 2018, 2:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by GarryP
BTW Elon has just twitted that they technically will probably have a workable autonomous vehicle in 12 months, but then it's the legislation....

Even you should have realised by now that just because 'Elon' says something, it doesn't necessarily make it so

Remember, this is the asshole who called a perfectly respectable bloke a paedophile - twice
Old Nov 17th 2018, 4:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Automation creating jobs

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/amazon-hq2-hiring-lic-arlington-new-jobs-2018-11?r=UK&IR=T
Tell that to Sears.

With this significant e-comnerce roll out in the Eastern US they should have quite an impact on Main Street USA, well beyond Queens NY.

Jobs are created, but also destroyed. If everyone can train up and work in the e-commerce supply chain, that would be fine. That's how it's been done since the industrial revolution. Not everyone can, and once the machines get a little smarter and vehicles more autonomous, technological unemployment sets in.

This can't be stopped (and shouldn't be) but it's short sighted to stay in denial. New economic order coming .
Old Nov 17th 2018, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Tell that to Sears.

With this significant e-comnerce roll out in the Eastern US they should have quite an impact on Main Street USA, well beyond Queens NY.

Jobs are created, but also destroyed. If everyone can train up and work in the e-commerce supply chain, that would be fine. That's how it's been done since the industrial revolution. Not everyone can, and once the machines get a little smarter and vehicles more autonomous, technological unemployment sets in.

This can't be stopped (and shouldn't be) but it's short sighted to stay in denial. New economic order coming .
Some high street retailers are booming. See JB HiFI. Others are floundering and can't adapt. The ones that can adapt will employ those who can't work in e-commerce related fields. However the likes of Amazon still need people who aren't clever enough to unravel the smarts around e-commerce.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It's always fun to go back and read about the crystal balls in a thread like this.

Couple of notable takeaways.

1. No drone delivery yet.
2. Bill Gates has just taken top spot on the world's richest person stakes. Microsoft share price continues to rocket.
3. I have still yet to buy anything from Amazon AU.
4. Both Amazon and Google continue to employ in double digit percentage growth year on year.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 8:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's a good thread. Driverless cars about to trial in South London. I recall someone on the thread specifically ruling out a 'complicated city environment like London' as impossible.

Old Nov 17th 2019, 12:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

1. No drone delivery yet.
Actually a number of test services have started up, including Google. Not general yet, but plenty of time on the predictions.

2. Bill Gates has just taken top spot on the world's richest person stakes. Microsoft share price continues to rocket.
Mobile phone, tablet, AR side died a death. They are sustained on the windows bicycle and associated cloud services.

3. I have still yet to buy anything from Amazon AU.
Buying from the US via the AU site is a thing. Local service level still woeful.

4. Both Amazon and Google continue to employ in double digit percentage growth year on year.
Amazon are moving to automated fulfilment centres and machine learning is doing some pretty spectacular things for Google.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 1:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

That article talks about a human driven car understanding how the market may want to use driverless.

Despite the hype from Elon and Garry, it sounds like driverless is more likely 2030. Even if they can get the merging thing sorted (which is a big item) there are so many little bugs that need resolving.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...9351923da1902f
Absolutely! There's an enormous amount of hubris surrounding the driverless car industry.

There is a huge difference between a car that can drive itself ANYWHERE - across fields if necessary, or on temporary lanes against the normal flow after an accident, for example - and one that can't for 1% of the time. The latter is amazing but absolutely useless for the intended tasks that the industry projects as being here in a few years' time.

Tesla is up there with the frontrunners in the game - but log into the Tesla Motor Users' forum and see the number of times the owners have to override the autopilot - it's NOWHERE near autonomous driving in the cat 5 sense.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 3:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's a good thread. Driverless cars about to trial in South London. I recall someone on the thread specifically ruling out a 'complicated city environment like London' as impossible.
Probably me, some time ago!

I would doubt that driverless cars are "about to trial" in London - or anywhere else for that matter.

If you mean "autonomous cars with a driver who is the responsible agent" then, yes.

See my post above - there's a vast difference.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Amazon are moving to automated fulfilment centres and machine learning is doing some pretty spectacular things for Google.
At this point I think automating Amazon as much as possible is the best way forward, they are always hiring here where I am in Canada, like non-stop and they seem to be running out of willing workers, doesn't help they have such realistic demands to meet which likely helps increase the turn over. For $15-$16 CAD$ per hour there are much easier jobs one can get with far better work environment.

Never met anyone yet who said they liked working at Amazon fulfillment. I gave it a try a few years back, but i wasn't fast enough.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 4:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I would doubt that driverless cars are "about to trial" in London - or anywhere else for that matter.

If you mean "autonomous cars with a driver who is the responsible agent" then, yes.
Google have just announced they are getting rid of the 'safety driver' for their taxi service in Phoenix ....

https://www.gearbrain.com/waymo-driv...641148456.html

Obviously they have been operating autonomous vehicles as taxis for a while, but they are confident enough to ditch the ride along engineer from these - and google are one of the most cautious companies.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 4:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
... running out of willing workers
Which is part of the point. Don't want to pay even more to get the fleshy robots through the door.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:29 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GarryP >> Obviously they have been operating autonomous vehicles as taxis for a while, but they are confident enough to ditch the ride along engineer from these - and google are one of the most cautious companies. <<

Following your link, in part it says:

" By L4, the company is referring to Level Four automation, which is where a car is capable of driving itself on public roads and in almost any circumstances. Level Five is the only higher level, which remains theoretical for now and is where the vehicle can drive absolutely anywhere, in any weather conditions, with zero human interaction. "

That's what I mean by the huge difference between 4 and 5. It doesn't sound much, but in commercial terms it is. A taxi that stops and tells you to get out in the middle of nowhere because it is out of its comfort zone isn't useful.

We'll have to wait and see, but despite being in the market for an EV with FSD - the one I had ordered in July arrived in Sydney in September but I had to cancel for personal reasons - I am sceptical.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 6:37 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Wol
Probably me, some time ago!

See my post above - there's a vast difference.
If an L4 is able to navigate a complex urban environment, then it's only a matter of time (5-10 years) until an L5 can do the same. It's happening.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...an-environment

Old Nov 17th 2019, 8:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If an L4 is able to navigate a complex urban environment, then it's only a matter of time (5-10 years) until an L5 can do the same. It's happening.

2030 - possibly/probably
2025 - only in a nerd wet dream maybe
Old Nov 17th 2019, 8:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not that much point in arguing the issue. I have no more knowledge than most of us on this except I've been following it for several decades - in fact I was a "subject" in TRRL, Bracknell, studies in the sixties: during the tea breaks the scientists were confidently predicting self drive cars by 1980 at the latest.
I've no doubt that viable no-driver cars are currently possible on dedicated roads but I just cannot see them being commercially possible in everyday situations, where they have to be merged with normal traffic. Upgrading from four to five isn't merely a matter of adding code - it's a paradigm shift to true artificial intelligence, which is still a long way away.
And real AI will open a whole new can of worms, anyway.
When I take delivery of my FSD (I should put that in quotes) I will let everyone know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.