Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Nov 4th 2017, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by Shard
I suppose it happened to gas lamps, phone boxes and next on the scrapheap ATM's.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/bl...isk-of-closing

I think cash will be around for some time more, but once contactless pay is dully deployed and used, cash will become an over the counter service to discourage ATM use.
Yep. But as we discussed earlier the growth of ATM's was supposed to hit bank branch numbers plus stuff and it didn't. Adios the ATM.

The demise of the ATM will no doubt hit the supply chain of those who make ATM's, components, software, etc and those who maintain. One would hope there are no companies around who are solely in business by ATM's.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Ok. Hawking: undecided.
Here he is. Out in the limelight again.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/stephen-hawking-says-artificial-intelligence-could-be-worst-thing-for-humanity-if-not-done-properly/news-story/c6b410e7d904320a0dfdc105a6eb9959
Old Nov 7th 2017, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing is that cash is universal, EVERYONE can get their hands on it (in varying quantities of course) If you dispense with it there's a great big section at the bottom of society that'll go under. The anonymity of a cash donation to a homeless person or a charity will be lost, and will put many people off doing so. What's the point of being able to pay for all your groceries, bills etc when you can't afford a smart phone? That would truly be a dumb idea IMO
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:16 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting study by RAND on the difference between putting autonomous vehicles on the road when they are only 10% better than human drivers, vs when they are 10 times better.

https://www.rand.org/blog/articles/2...adbpr=22545453

Upshot?

It's better to introduce them early, even if there are some autonomous vehicle crashes, since you save hundreds of thousands of lives over waiting. There is even a little model to try your own scenarios.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
The thing is that cash is universal, EVERYONE can get their hands on it (in varying quantities of course) If you dispense with it there's a great big section at the bottom of society that'll go under. The anonymity of a cash donation to a homeless person or a charity will be lost, and will put many people off doing so. What's the point of being able to pay for all your groceries, bills etc when you can't afford a smart phone? That would truly be a dumb idea IMO
Simple, physical cash could simply limited to cash cards (the kind of rechargeable plastic cards they use in the subway, etc.). The point is that when 95% of transactions go digital, it will be quite onerous to maintain the current system of cash in varying notes and coins.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What are you saying here? Are you suggesting that the bottom of society don't have bank accounts and can't deal with digital? Or the bottom of society deal in the dodgy stuff that is all cash based? I can't quite figure it out.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting article.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/sydney-jobs-boom-puts-pressure-on-transport-and-house-prices-20171108-gzhitj.html

From a previous discussion, those with the money like to live near where the jobs, transport and action are.

A notable mention about medium speed rail between the main metropolis and the nearby cities.

Sound familiar?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
What are you saying here? Are you suggesting that the bottom of society don't have bank accounts and can't deal with digital? Or the bottom of society deal in the dodgy stuff that is all cash based? I can't quite figure it out.
The reality, in Britain at least, is a bit of both. Currently. But the times are a changin'.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Don't try putting that sort of slant on it, whenever have you seen a beggar with an eftpos machine? sheesh, and if they did have a bank account it's most likely empty don't you think?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't try putting that sort of slant on it,
Nah - I wasn't sure where you were headed so I threw out some options.

whenever have you seen a beggar with an eftpos machine? sheesh, and if they did have a bank account it's most likely empty don't you think?
OK now I understand. Yes beggars and other occupations like buskers will have to find alternatives when loose change becomes a thing of the past. But it will only become a thing of the past when we entirely rid ourselves of cash.

Those who live off the cash economy are pretty good at finding ways around things. I am sure they will find a way around the cashless society.

BTW

Professional beggars earning up to $400 a day and intimidating women, tourists in Melbourne CBD, Salvation Army report finds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old Nov 9th 2017, 1:28 am
Account Closed

Nah - I wasn't sure where you were headed so I threw out some options.

OK now I understand. Yes beggars and other occupations like buskers will have to find alternatives when loose change becomes a thing of the past. But it will only become a thing of the past when we entirely rid ourselves of cash.

Those who live off the cash economy are pretty good at finding ways around things. I am sure they will find a way around the cashless society.

BTW

Professional beggars earning up to $400 a day and intimidating women, tourists in Melbourne CBD, Salvation Army report finds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
By definition all beggars are professional though aren't they. It's how they can afford to put food on the pavement. There'll be some sort of underworld currency, probably duck eggs and minge or something
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

By definition all beggars are professional though aren't they. It's how they can afford to put food on the pavement. There'll be some sort of underworld currency, probably duck eggs and minge or something
Maybe it will just be all digital. Even for the "bottom of society", a bank account, bitcoin account, etc is still possible. You can stand there with a sign with an account number, rather than a dirty old hat or paper coffee cup.

They will probably make more money that way. There is potential for larger transactions. They might get the odd big donation if its done electronically. Big donations generally don't live as small change in someone's pocket.

How are dole payments done now? Does one still get a dole cheque? You would have to cash it somewhere right? Or is it paid electronically?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Maybe it will just be all digital. Even for the "bottom of society", a bank account, bitcoin account, etc is still possible. You can stand there with a sign with an account number, rather than a dirty old hat or paper coffee cup.

They will probably make more money that way. There is potential for larger transactions. They might get the odd big donation if its done electronically. Big donations generally don't live as small change in someone's pocket.

How are dole payments done now? Does one still get a dole cheque? You would have to cash it somewhere right? Or is it paid electronically?
Are people on the dole the bottom of society? I'd say not. That's surely reserved for the people without a roof, and in some cases shoes. I mean, if they have a smart phone with all their account details and paywave, where are they going to plug the charger in?
Are you lining me up for an accusation of bigotry or snobbery per chance with your inverted commas around 'bottom of society' I know they were my words, you've no need to distance yourself from them.
You're edging towards your 'let them eat cake' stance again.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are people on the dole the bottom of society?
What is bottom of society? Do you mean the poorest in society?

I'd say not. That's surely reserved for the people without a roof, and in some cases shoes. I mean, if they have a smart phone with all their account details and paywave, where are they going to plug the charger in?
Are people without shoes and a roof on the dole?

Are you lining me up for an accusation of bigotry or snobbery per chance with your inverted commas around 'bottom of society' I know they were my words, you've no need to distance yourself from them.
You're edging towards your 'let them eat cake' stance again.
Not really. Bottom of society could mean many things to many different people.

Bottom of society for Garry would be lawyers and bankers.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. Bottom of society could mean many things to many different people.

Bottom of society for Garry would be lawyers and bankers.
Bottom of society are those for whom others are to be used, exploited and hurt - those for whom others are things.

Does anyone really not recognise this?

Money has never been the scoreboard - right back to "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of god"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.