Working 9 to 5..?

Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working 9 to 5..?

Originally Posted by BASHO
Any job I have ever had that was worth a pinch generally involved doing whatever it took to do the job and I was payed from well to very well and mostly were well to high in the satisfaction stakes. , the ones where hours were regulated 9-5 etc (and I never had many of those) were often ordinary in job satisfaction--and pay.
I've had some hugely fulfilling roles, mainly working for charities/alumni in Universities, where hours were regulated. Guess it depends on what job satisfaction you're looking for.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
My OH has 40 hours per week plus whatever hours extra he needs to get the job done. Last night he got home at 11pm, having left at 7.30 am. This is not unusual- he has to go in at weekends quite often, and sometimes take conference calls at 2am!!! That is one of the problems of working with an international company run by Americans.
boo :-( I could never sustain this... love my sleep too much!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 9:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
Guess it depends on what job satisfaction you're looking for.
Not really - well, I would say it's more company specific, than based on any sort statement in a contract about hours.

The 40+ hours thing is common in certain industries...but it doesn't necessarily mean people are doing it all the time. The thing about a lot of those industries is they are often very flexible with work hours and in a lot of cases people can manage their own time to quite a large extent.

Without saying too much I can tell you that employee satisfaction is very high at my company, with a 40+ hour clause...and its recognised as one the best places to work in Australia.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not really - well, I would say it's more company specific, than based on any sort statement in a contract about hours.

The 40+ hours thing is common in certain industries...but it doesn't necessarily mean people are doing it all the time. The thing about a lot of those industries is they are often very flexible with work hours and in a lot of cases people can manage their own time to quite a large extent.

Without saying too much I can tell you that employee satisfaction is very high at my company, with a 40+ hour clause...and its recognised as one the best places to work in Australia.
but taking 'whatever it does to do the job' equals burnout for many.... if whatever it takes means 60 hours + I just meant doing huge amount of hours to finish the job might mean satisfaction to some, where doing 35 and having a good work/life balance might mean satisfaction to others.

everyone is different eh, makes things interesting
Old Jul 18th 2013, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
Any job I have ever had that was worth a pinch generally involved doing whatever it took to do the job and I was payed from well to very well and mostly were well to high in the satisfaction stakes. , the ones where hours were regulated 9-5 etc (and I never had many of those) were often ordinary in job satisfaction--and pay.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
Spot on
SPOT ON.

I have never taken much notice of contracted hours.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 5:58 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I tend to get in between 7:30-8:00 and leave at 4-4:30pm pretty much every day. I'm often the first in (but not always) and sometimes the first to leave (but not always). Anyone in our building after 6pm is kicked out and getting in before 7:30 is a major pain in the arse with security.....

Contractually its a 38 hr week (7.6per day) - but nobody counts... I no longer do ANY work from home ever, but occasionally read an email and might respond if it seems appropriate.

I consider myself lucky not to be in a place where "40 hr week" really means 50+. My last job was, for 5 years, a 40 hours a week in the office and a good 20+ (unpaid and unrewarded overtime) from home - and I've promised myself I will NEVER do that again.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:43 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I start my new job on Monday and am contracted for 38 hours per week.

I have to work 8 hours per day with half an hour unpaid for lunch which makes an eight and a half hour day. I can work 8-4.30, 8.30-5 or 9 -5.30.

As I am working 2 hours per week over my contracted hours, I get one rostered day off per month.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

but taking 'whatever it does to do the job' equals burnout for many.... if whatever it takes means 60 hours + I just meant doing huge amount of hours to finish the job might mean satisfaction to some, where doing 35 and having a good work/life balance might mean satisfaction to others.

everyone is different eh, makes things interesting
There is often balance, 40 hrs normally: occasionally more for project deliverables......

as long as I can manage my own time I am happy....
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There is often balance, 40 hrs normally: occasionally more for project deliverables......

as long as I can manage my own time I am happy....
now that's one I can shout SPOT ON! to
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kapri
I start my new job on Monday and am contracted for 38 hours per week.
well done

Originally Posted by Kapri
I have to work 8 hours per day with half an hour unpaid for lunch which makes an eight and a half hour day. I can work 8-4.30, 8.30-5 or 9 -5.30.
which one will you do, or a mixture thereof?
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:22 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

well done

which one will you do, or a mixture thereof?
A mixture I expect, depending on what hours OH is working so one of us can be home for the kids
Old Jul 19th 2013, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that you always get a call or e-mail just before 5pm that means you have to stay at work for an extra 3 hours minimum?? Yet again OH is late home.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Why is it that you always get a call or e-mail just before 5pm that means you have to stay at work for an extra 3 hours minimum?? Yet again OH is late home.
On occasion I have been known to not pick up the phone at 4.59 if I was due to be heading somewhere or had something important to do at home - from experience of folk who had an 'urgent' request which turned out to be not so urgent, they just wanted to leave to watch the cricket and hand over the problem to someone else

If there was something really urgent then yes, I would help out of course.

I have also had a boss stalk me whilst on my annual leave with text messages, phone calls and emails... basic stuff like 'what's my pw I've put it in 3 times and now comp is locked can you quickly phone IT for me I'm too busy' ... oh yes, why not, sounds like a great idea when I'm on a beach in Oz.

Yes if it's super duper urgent I don't mind, one phone call or a few texts but c'mon, you get your pound of flesh and some when I'm there, leave me alone!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I used to do a 37.5 hour week but did at least 1-2 hours (unpaid) overtime each day.

I was made redundant and am now back working for the same outfit as a contractor. The consultancy which notionally employs me, says we are allowed to do no more than 40 hours per week.
Bliss. I like my job but I love my family.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

OH has spent this morning working. The boss in Melbourne has e-mail issues. OH spends a lot of time getting in touch with IT department to fix issues - they send an e-mail to the MD in Melbourne saying issues are now fixed. DUH! MD doesn't get e-mail as they haven't fixed issues.

OH gets back to IT dept. and tells them to RING MD. (He also includes the big boss in NY so he can see just how stupid the IT help department in Melbourne really are.) This wastes a good two hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.