Work related issue

Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of
Default Work related issue

Daughter in the Uk has been off work for 8 weeks, stress and anxiety.
she reported a registered nurse to management for hitting a resident at the nursing home that she works at.
management asked her write an initial statement and they would investigate it.
To cut a long story short, she returned a week later to be called into the managers office and her work, behaviour etc was brought into question. She was told that she would be moved off her unit and supervised on days. She has worked at the place for 3 years as a senior carer and has had no problems.
After talking to my daughter, who was in shock, very tearful and anxious, I told her to go to her GP.
The manager kept calling her and asking when she was coming back to work. My daughter went through a grievence procedure and the outcome was all in her favour. The company have stated that they have investigated the assault against the resident however they could not have as they have not questioned the main witness, my daughter.
Question, would you resign and walk away or push for a proper investigation. I am frustrated for her as this company has behaved disgracefully.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work related issue

Originally Posted by purple rain
Daughter in the Uk has been off work for 8 weeks, stress and anxiety.
she reported a registered nurse to management for hitting a resident at the nursing home that she works at.
management asked her write an initial statement and they would investigate it.
To cut a long story short, she returned a week later to be called into the managers office and her work, behaviour etc was brought into question. She was told that she would be moved off her unit and supervised on days. She has worked at the place for 3 years as a senior carer and has had no problems.
After talking to my daughter, who was in shock, very tearful and anxious, I told her to go to her GP.
The manager kept calling her and asking when she was coming back to work. My daughter went through a grievence procedure and the outcome was all in her favour. The company have stated that they have investigated the assault against the resident however they could not have as they have not questioned the main witness, my daughter.
Question, would you resign and walk away or push for a proper investigation. I am frustrated for her as this company has behaved disgracefully.
I'm a campaigner, and a health care professsional so if it were me I would certainly be pushing for a proper investigation... Social care services should be involved and this should not just be left to the management of a company/home/organisation

However I'm also a mother, and my daughters welfare and wellbeing would be paramount.. So I cant advise you... How good is her support network at home? Does she belong to a union?

whistle blowing can have serious consequences for those brave enough to do it...
Old Sep 5th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

The likelihood is that your daughter would not want/be able to return to work there again anyway, whether she pushes for a proper investigation or not. She obviously cares about what she witnessed, and the company does not. If it was me, I would want a proper investigation made, but as Eddie has said, it is not easy being a whistleblower, as your daughter has already experienced.Yes, we are mothers, so we want to spare our children stress and anxiety, but we are also daughters - would we want our mothers treated like that poor resident, or be treated like that ourselves (heading to aged care ourselves one day)? I hope your daughter does have access to some counselling, or talking to whatever friends/relatives she can.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:23 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Your daughter needs to get the hell out of that workplace (and into a new one) because it will be toxic from here on in.

She should also push for an investigation so that years down the track she doesn't feel left as the victim of the pack of ar@#holes who are presently doing a number on her.

Attack from a distance. Save sanity at all costs. Emotionally detach.

Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:00 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest she contact someone like ACAS to see about constructive dismissal

This links gives some good information

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...al/DG_10026696

If a grievance procedure has already ruled in her favour, then I think she would stand a good chance. Has she reported the assault to the registration board the employers are registered with?

If it is a nursing home then they should be registered with the likes of the CQC http://www.cqc.org.uk/

and/or RNHA
http://www.rnha.co.uk/general.php?r=MANKY421443 and as far as I am aware have stringent reporting systems in place.

Hope it all works out well for her.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Unfortunately she has very little support over there. I am currently in the process of getting the funds together to bring her over here.She was planning to come over eventually anyway.
Her workplace have now decided that she needs to see their doctor to see if she is fit for work, I am appalled she has been through enough without the grilling she will get from them.Her GP is adament she should rest and have counselling (which she is doing)
Regarding the assault she witnessed, they have already been involved in previous investigations and have been in the press. I am going to call CQC today and report them.
As a nurse I despair when I hear of this.

Thank you for all of your replies.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

If your daughter has the support and strength to be able to go ahead she would earn my utmost respect...

If she hasnt, she would have my full understanding

Hopefully the thought of coming 12,000 miles away from the issue will give her some strength... After she has been through it..

Yes her emplyer can and probably should make her see a Doctor, if she is suffering from work related stress, this is for her own benefit, and managers are encouraged to stay in touch with employees to keep them involved in the workplace, The manager probably sees it as a psoitivebthing to do, just not doing it very well... She should go and see thier Dr, so he can see what this has done to her.. Also another health professional hears what happened... The more likely some one WILL move forward to protect the residents... however she has the right to take a representative with her, she doesnt have to go alone.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eddie007
If your daughter has the support and strength to be able to go ahead she would earn my utmost respect...

If she hasnt, she would have my full understanding

Hopefully the thought of coming 12,000 miles away from the issue will give her some strength... After she has been through it..

Yes her emplyer can and probably should make her see a Doctor, if she is suffering from work related stress, this is for her own benefit, and managers are encouraged to stay in touch with employees to keep them involved in the workplace, The manager probably sees it as a psoitivebthing to do, just not doing it very well... She should go and see thier Dr, so he can see what this has done to her.. Also another health professional hears what happened... The more likely some one WILL move forward to protect the residents... however she has the right to take a representative with her, she doesnt have to go alone.
It would of been nice if she had some support as soon as the grievence was upheld
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It would of been nice if she had some support as soon as the grievence was upheld
Thats right... It would, maybe she would have more faith in "the system" its wrong what has happened, but she does have choices and unfortunately only she can make them...

Does she belong to a union? has she been to CAB? What counselling services is she involved in ? can they help her?

this is a no win situation, but there are employment laws to protect employees, perhap a legal eagal will take on her case on a pro bono basis?

Its a bloody shocking situation... She WILL need help, advice and support... Can her own GP rcommend a suitable course of action?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK.. Have re read the original message...

This was a registered nurse who assaulted a patient.

Your daughter should contact the NMC and make a formal complaint, the nurse is obviously unfit to practice....

this CAN be dealt with properly, by the appropriate people who WILL investigate fully and take appropriate action... The answer was in you original question... She must contact the NMC... They should be able to support your daught during this process too....
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:31 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Often these cases turn out to be *unfounded* in other words no fault on any party cos it's easier that way

Think about it; if there was only one witness (your daughter) they are gonna cover it up cos it reflects bad on them if found otherwise and this sort of publicity don't sell beds

In work there are no values or scruples it's all one big hard ball game. Money wins hands down as does reputation (or protecting it) and as no one died so no one will be interested. It's not fair but it's normal where business is concerned. That's reality. She will win no points and cause herself months of heartache if they are *forced* to do an investigation and even then, nothing will get done.

Tell her to take time off and look for another job, walk away to save her sanity. Alternatively tell her to let her conscience take over and fight it but be prepared to see all of the above and to undertsand the good don't always win in business.

Good luck to your daughter mate, whatever she decides
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

OK.. Have re read the original message...

This was a registered nurse who assaulted a patient.

Your daughter should contact the NMC and make a formal complaint, the nurse is obviously unfit to practice....

this CAN be dealt with properly, by the appropriate people who WILL investigate fully and take appropriate action... The answer was in you original question... She must contact the NMC... They should be able to support your daught during this process too....
Good idea, I am a nurse and should of thought of this myself.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Often these cases turn out to be *unfounded* in other words no fault on any party cos it's easier that way

Think about it; if there was only one witness (your daughter) they are gonna cover it up cos it reflects bad on them if found otherwise and this sort of publicity don't sell beds

In work there are no values or scruples it's all one big hard ball game. Money wins hands down as does reputation (or protecting it) and as no one died so no one will be interested. It's not fair but it's normal where business is concerned. That's reality. She will win no points and cause herself months of heartache if they are *forced* to do an investigation and even then, nothing will get done.

Tell her to take time off and look for another job, walk away to save her sanity. Alternatively tell her to let her conscience take over and fight it but be prepared to see all of the above and to undertsand the good don't always win in business.

Good luck to your daughter mate, whatever she decides
Apparently they have investigated the incident. How and with what is another matter. According to their own policy they should interview all witnesses, didn't happen. My daughter has been told that she will be given a copy of the investigation outcome, again, didn't happen.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:50 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently they have investigated the incident. How and with what is another matter. According to their own policy they should interview all witnesses, didn't happen. My daughter has been told that she will be given a copy of the investigation outcome, again, didn't happen.
Yep, not a surprise mate. Wonder what wording they will use that means unfounded
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats right... It would, maybe she would have more faith in "the system" its wrong what has happened, but she does have choices and unfortunately only she can make them...

Does she belong to a union? has she been to CAB? What counselling services is she involved in ? can they help her?

this is a no win situation, but there are employment laws to protect employees, perhap a legal eagal will take on her case on a pro bono basis?

Its a bloody shocking situation... She WILL need help, advice and support... Can her own GP rcommend a suitable course of action?
I have made enquiries and have been told she could resign and possibly claim construtive dismissal, however, they want money up front that we don't have. I wish I had the knowledge and skill, I would take them to court myself. We might not get anywhere but at least it might make them think twice next time.

My daughter is getting some help now but is adament she is not going back. She said that the nurse who hit the resident said to my daughter 'she hit me first, you must of seen her' sick cow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.