Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is this a wolf spider?

Is this a wolf spider?

Old Nov 6th 2010, 4:59 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this a wolf spider?

I was just cleaning out the spare room (I've got guests coming from UK in a few weeks) and I found this spider crouching behind a set of drawers that were under the window. I did the usual cover with glass, slide piece of paper under, sit her on kitchen worktop and examine closey thing.......... then I freaked out. Her back was moving with hundreds (okay maybe about 20) of tiny spiders (her babies presumably)???

So google says that means she must be a wolf spider? Apparently they are the only Australian spider that does this. I thought wolf spiders were bigger -shes only about 3 cms in total body length. Anyway, I took loads of photos and this is one of her being released back into the garden.

Whaddya reckon? Wolf spider or nay?
Attached Thumbnails Is this a wolf spider?-wolf-spider-035.jpg  
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a wolf spider?

Sorry cannot help if a wolf spider or not but any kind of spider has me running for the hills

I have just had the house sprayed inside/outside as there is to many spiders about here and plus i have my mother here in december and if she sees any she will freak

I did have one spider in the house just after we arrived here but it was pretty small in Mackay that i killed and that had a lot of babys running for dear life after killing it
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
I was just cleaning out the spare room (I've got guests coming from UK in a few weeks) and I found this spider crouching behind a set of drawers that were under the window. I did the usual cover with glass, slide piece of paper under, sit her on kitchen worktop and examine closey thing.......... then I freaked out. Her back was moving with hundreds (okay maybe about 20) of tiny spiders (her babies presumably)???

So google says that means she must be a wolf spider? Apparently they are the only Australian spider that does this. I thought wolf spiders were bigger -shes only about 3 cms in total body length. Anyway, I took loads of photos and this is one of her being released back into the garden.

Whaddya reckon? Wolf spider or nay?
Yes, it is a Wolf spider. Seen plenty of them with young on their backs. Catch it and put it is a glass a spray some mortein on it. You will find that 20 or so young spiderlings will turn into hundreds!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:39 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Yes, it is a Wolf spider. Seen plenty of them with young on their backs. Catch it and put it is a glass a spray some mortein on it. You will find that 20 or so young spiderlings will turn into hundreds!
Awwww noooo! She hasn't done me any harm. She has been let go to wander free in the garden with a stern warning not to set foot in the house again (unless she wipes her feet).
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen a single spider since I got here four months ago. I thought the place was teeming with them.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I haven't seen a single spider since I got here four months ago. I thought the place was teeming with them.
Just one more good reason to live in Sydney, BS.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:55 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by Seasider
Just one more good reason to live in Sydney, BS.
Just dont go digging around in any leaf mulch or in the undergrowth at the bottom of the garden. Or you might meet the worst one of all!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

They're behind you. WAAAAAHH
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Just dont go digging around in any leaf mulch or in the undergrowth at the bottom of the garden. Or you might meet the worst one of all!
Is that the hunter spider?

I just know I have tempted fate by saying I have not spotted one yet. I expect I will see them everywhere now.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:16 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hell no. There's a reason we bought a 5th floor apartment
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

sbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nice

actually got a shiver when i seen this picture!! hope i dont run into them
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:19 pm
beach bum

Is that the hunter spider?

I just know I have tempted fate by saying I have not spotted one yet. I expect I will see them everywhere now.
Nah. Huntsmans tend to hang around on walls and in your wardrobe. Sydney Funnel Webs like dark moist mouldy places and are found all over Sydney - even in the built up areas. In fact especially in the built up areas. They are found from the Lower Hunter, down to the Shoalhaven River and west as far as Lithgow. Reported to be one of the deadliest spiders in the world. But hey, dont let that bother you - just check your washing carefully if you leave it out overnight and it rains!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:23 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by sbrock11
actually got a shiver when i seen this picture!! hope i dont run into them
She wont bother you. Wolf spiders are non aggressive and their venom is not deadly. Hence why she was put back in the garden and not introduced to Mr Mortein.

This here is a picture of Pauline - my resident Huntsman. She eats cockroaches and nasty spiders like white tips - so she can stay!
Attached Thumbnails Is this a wolf spider?-p8030010.jpg  
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

She wont bother you. Wolf spiders are non aggressive and their venom is not deadly. Hence why she was put back in the garden and not introduced to Mr Mortein.

This here is a picture of Pauline - my resident Huntsman. She eats cockroaches and nasty spiders like white tips - so she can stay!
You're weird
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:02 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh freak - I just couldn't!

I know they are good for other house pests, but I just couldn't sleep knowing that thing was on the prowl. <<<<<<<<<shivers>>>>>>>>>>>

- and now has the heebie jeebies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.