Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Winter places to go with an 18month old - Rockingham

Wikiposts

Winter places to go with an 18month old - Rockingham

Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter places to go with an 18month old - Rockingham

My daughter is coming for a visit with her 18 month old son next week and were are a bit out of touch what to go with a toddler in and around the Rockingham area. Obviously at that age it need not be massively entertaining or expensive, just a change of scenery now and then.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:51 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winter places to go with an 18month old - Rockingham

Hi Sunbather,

I'm not sure if you mean you are out of touch with what to do with a toddler, or out of touch with Rockingham specifically!

The latter, I'm afraid I can't help you at all.

The former, I can suggest some things I do with my 20mnth lad.
Most of 'em at this age have an energy 'high' round 9-11am, so doing something physical at this time can save everybody's temper. They don't need much organising, just a good walk/run, or a decent playground. (See below)
Re the afternoon, quieter play is usually the thing; it might be worth you getting hold of some cars/trucks, a shape-sorter, something that makes music, some teddies, and some (cardboard) picture books (K-Mart/BigW are fairly cheap, but if you don't want to spend then ask a neighbour for a lend? or try the OpShop?).

Re physical exercise:-

- many/most garden centres have a children's play area, often overlooked by a cafe; scout around now for one where the play area has security gates and you can book a table right next to it - that way you can enjoy your daughter while grandson is making new friends

- take a football up to your local oval and teach him to throw, kick, etc

- find a local playgroup; most churches will run one on a few mornings a week, but you could try www.playgroupaustralia.com.au

- swimming (if your part of Aus isn't warm yet, find an indoor one)

- petting zoo or wildlife park (my guy loves feeding roos!)

Hope this gives you some ideas

- 22B
Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Yes I did mean that I was a bit out of touch with toddlers but also that I've never had a toddler in the Rockingham area so didn't know what there might be for him round here.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:40 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

What about Marapana wildlife park (on the way to Mandurah)
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
or the big aquatic rec centre at Warnbro (just opp Warnbro Sound shopping centre), Peel "Zoo" in mandurah is apparently nice- prob half an hour from you= or mandurah on the foreshore is fun. get the train to perth you can get a family all day pass for like 8 bucks- my god son used to love playing outside the artgallery in the city.

LAst week we took my niece to a "Petting Farm" down south thinking she would love it, she was completely uninterested!! She was happier sitting at home drawing or playing chasey with us :S
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Yeah I got that one clocked thank you xx