Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Will my husband work in Oz?

Wikiposts

Will my husband work in Oz?

Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will my husband work in Oz?

I have read many things on this site and have been led to believe that once you transfer certain items across to Australia they lose their value or don't work.

I am thinking of leaving my TV and and also my telephones but wasn't sure of what to do with my husband.

He always worked well in the UK - 55 hours plus a week and always managed to function well in other duties at home. However I have heard on this site that husbands don't travel well down under.

Stories have reached my ears that 'they often become lazy and lethargic' not wanting to contribute so much towards the household chores. they appear to be more outside orientated. Fishing becomes a priority for them. Beer too.

Please can anyone tell me if this is accurate? And if so - would i be wise to leave my husband behind when i make the move a and get an Australian version when I arrive?

Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:33 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my husband work in Oz?

Sadly this has happened to mine too - he spends all day clutching his tinny sprawled in front of the tv watching sport, he only moves to scratch his balls. The only conversation I get from him is the occasional belch.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:37 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
I have read many things on this site and have been led to believe that once you transfer certain items across to Australia they lose their value or don't work.

I am thinking of leaving my TV and and also my telephones but wasn't sure of what to do with my husband.

He always worked well in the UK - 55 hours plus a week and always managed to function well in other duties at home. However I have heard on this site that husbands don't travel well down under.

Stories have reached my ears that 'they often become lazy and lethargic' not wanting to contribute so much towards the household chores. they appear to be more outside orientated. Fishing becomes a priority for them. Beer too.

Please can anyone tell me if this is accurate? And if so - would i be wise to leave my husband behind when i make the move a and get an Australian version when I arrive?

Hmmm thats a difficult one, you could get a new one here, there are some new models about, and some nice ones hanging about beachfronts however you would need to re-program him to the standard the old one was at and that can take a lot of time and effort, if i were you, i would take your existing one and get a travel adapter for him, or get some new larger batteries for him, so not to run out of energy (ahem)

Good luck , and let us know how you get on
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:37 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL

This has happened at mine too, 6 weeks in and already had a 'boys' weekend away (never did back in UK)

so my advice would be

Leave him at home and treat yourself to a new updated version!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan and sam
PMSL

This has happened at mine too, 6 weeks in and already had a 'boys' weekend away (never did back in UK)

so my advice would be

Leave him at home and treat yourself to a new updated version!
Hey - I was thinking that but the other poster said something about having to reprogramm to the previous standard and that took some years I can tell you.....

I quite like the idea of an adaptor for him as I have grown quite attached to him over the years and would feel guilty leaving him behind and replacing him with an Australian model (some people have commented that the Oz models are slightly inferior but I haven't had any chance to test this out as yet).

Has anyone else used an adaptor for their UK version husbands? If so where can you buy the adaptors from and are they OK? or is it cheaper to throw in the towel and not bother even with replacement husband?

Ideas please
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

they appear to be more outside orientated. Fishing becomes a priority for them. Beer too.

Please can anyone tell me if this is accurate?

You forgot the need to play at least 2 rounds of golf a week and also stay up to ungodly hours watching football from the UK

A bloke I know over the golf club has told his wife (who is from Holland, so doesn't know much about golf) that it takes 7-8 hours to play a round, to enable him to stay in the clubhouse longer
Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I brought mine with me cos no-one told me this when we came. Wish they had though
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:25 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wendy
I brought mine with me cos no-one told me this when we came. Wish they had though
but did he work before you came?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
but did he work before you came?

Do you know, I think you are on to something there
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey - don't feel so bad - you can always still do a trade in. I have an old ex-girlfreind who takes husbands off your hands FREE of price
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey - don't feel so bad - you can always still do a trade in. I have an old ex-girlfreind who takes husbands off your hands FREE of price

E-mail me her details
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:33 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Send em to me too!!! Please!!!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

E-mail me her details
LMFAO - you sure? she doesn't do returns - and sometimes treats them badly - you may feel guilty later or have regrets Wendy!

Don't forget your vows er I mean responsibilities. Husbands aren't for Christmas you know - they are for at least 7 years or unless they mkae you itch
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:37 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

LMFAO - you sure? she doesn't do returns - and sometimes treats them badly - you may feel guilty later or have regrets Wendy!

Don't forget your vows er I mean responsibilities. Husbands aren't for Christmas you know - they are for at least 7 years or unless they mkae you itch

I'm itchy....I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO itchy!!!

No smarty bum comments from the peanut gallery either...you know who you are!!!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
I'm itchy....I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO itchy!!!

No smarty bum comments from the peanut gallery either...you know who you are!!!
Maybe you have an allergic reaction - I conclude you would be better with an Oz version - and maybe you too Wendy. Let me know what you decide and then I may join you and try it out - well as they say when in Rome.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.