Reload this Page >

Why is when you say something bad about Perth people hate you for it

Why is when you say something bad about Perth people hate you for it

Old Mar 11th 2012, 12:45 am
Just Joined

littleblossom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is when you say something bad about Perth people hate you for it

Hi

I don't want to sound negative and yes I appreciate Perth as alot of good qualities the sun and beaches etc and good money if your working on the mines.

But if you ever say anything negative about the place people shoot you down for it everyone is entitled to their own opinion about a place. And its not the land of milk and honey that most often people make out.

When you arrive everyone wants to be your friend and get to know you and understandably so. But then when you saying your heading back to the UK they drop off like flies.

As anyone else experienced this or am I on my own on this?
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is when you say something bad about Perth people hate you for it

They do seem incredibly sensitive to any sort of criticism whether it is justified or not. I have never come across any other city or area that people feel so precious about.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is when you say something bad about Perth people hate you for it

Perth people have certainly become more outspokenly precious about themselves and their city in the past decade. Wealth and greed? Who knows. Just ignore it. I whinge about their attitude all the time and I'm from Perth!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleblossom
Hi

I don't want to sound negative and yes I appreciate Perth as alot of good qualities the sun and beaches etc and good money if your working on the mines.

But if you ever say anything negative about the place people shoot you down for it everyone is entitled to their own opinion about a place. And its not the land of milk and honey that most often people make out.

When you arrive everyone wants to be your friend and get to know you and understandably so. But then when you saying your heading back to the UK they drop off like flies.

I don't care who likes it and who doesn't. I appreciate it isn't for everyone. What consistently irritates me is when posters insult the people that like it and are happy with what it has to offer. That I must be some kind of uneducated, common lowlife because I like the isolation and that it offers me the quality of life nowhere else in the world can.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't care who likes it and who doesn't. I appreciate it isn't for everyone. What consistently irritates me is when posters insult the people that like it and are happy with what it has to offer. That I must be some kind of uneducated, common lowlife because I like the isolation and that it offers me the quality of life nowhere else in the world can.
I would say a lot more people knock it than are 'precious' about it. And I can see where you are coming from. It's not about preciousness - what a ****** of a word - it's about being fine about where you live.

I am not a BIG fan of Perth but I don't knock it for others and can see it might be great for people who are doing well in their own field.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I don't want to sound negativeYes you do or you wouldn't have posted a negative thread. and yes I appreciate Perth as alot of good qualities the sun and beaches etc and good money if your working on the mines.

But if you ever say anything negative about the place people shoot you down for it who's "everyone"? everyone is entitled to their own opinion about a place. And its not the land of milk and honey that most often people make out. Who makes out it is a land of milk and honey?

When you arrive everyone wants to be your friend and get to know you and understandably so. But then when you saying your heading back to the UK they drop off like flies. Um, maybe because because you're heading home and they won't be seeing you anymore so decide to cut their losses

You may be better posting this in the Moving Back section. Not many of us here in the Barbie have actuallly moved back to UK or our homes countries, so it's unlikely we would have experienced losing friends because we're moving home.

As for the negative comments, I agree 100% with Northern Bird. If you don't like where you live that's fine. But don't slag off those who do like it.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:38 am
Just Joined

littleblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dorothy and Northern Bird for your comments but everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions both positive and negative.

Why should it always made out to be so wonderful freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.

I don't see why I should have to feel awkward about saying how I feel either.
Blue skies, beaches and sun isn't everthing.

I too have found it a very materialistic place which goes against my values when there is people so poor and hungry in the world.

Thank you for your comments.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:41 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Maybe (if its been quite a short friendship), when they hear you are heading back to the UK, they just don't want to 'emotionally invest' in the friendship anymore as you will be on the other side of the world leading a quite different life?

Oh and why 'understandably so'

Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy and Northern Bird for your comments but everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions both positive and negative.

Why should it always made out to be so wonderful freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.

I don't see why I should have to feel awkward about saying how I feel either.
Blue skies, beaches and sun isn't everthing.

I too have found it a very materialistic place which goes against my values when there is people so poor and hungry in the world.

Thank you for your comments.
Absolutely, I have no problem if you have a negative view of Perth. I do however have an issue if you think I am a lowlife if I like it.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, I have no problem if you have a negative view of Perth. I do however have an issue if you think I am a lowlife if I like it.
Where do you get that little blossom thinks you are a low life from? I read the thread a few times now and the only person mentioning low life is you.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Where do you get that little blossom thinks you are a low life from? I read the thread a few times now and the only person mentioning low life is you.
I meant generally. Forgot you need to add disclaimers everywhere.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I meant generally. Forgot you need to add disclaimers everywhere.
Oh well you quoted her, so presumed the comment was directed at her.

Why do you think anyone thinks you are a lowlife?

If somebody posted a thread saying they didn't like Sydney I wouldn't be particularly bothered, I certainly wouldn't make the jump to wondering if they are saying I am a low life because I live here.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Oh well you quoted her, so presumed the comment was directed at her.

Why do you think anyone thinks you are a lowlife?

If somebody posted a thread saying they didn't like Sydney I wouldn't be particularly bothered, I certainly wouldn't make the jump to wondering if they are saying I am a low life because I live here.
There have been many, many threads over the years about Perth. They usually end up with the likes of me being told we are uneducated, uncultured and shallow if we like it here. I have no problem whatsoever people not liking Perth, it really isn't for everyone but this particular attitude annoys the hell out of me. Fancy someone wanting to live in Perth, who on earth puts sun and beaches ahead of everything the UK has to offer. Drives me crackers!!!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 6:02 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I can vouch for NB in this, I too have read stuff like 'they must have had it shit in the UK to like Perth, their lives must have been boring' etc.

I have been accused of rose tint syndrome and the thing I dont get is why not accept some of us like it, some of us are happy and dont want to live in the UK, we are not in denial - we just like where we live.

And that goes both ways. I dont give a shit who likes it here and who doesnt - accept your life and where you live it, change the things that make you unhappy, let go of what you cannot change, if you really hate it, move back if you can or if that is impossible, then make the best of what you have because moving forward in life is bloody damn hard when you are carrying the emotional suitcase.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 6:18 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

They usually end up with the likes of me being told we are uneducated, uncultured and shallow...
Well you are from Preston after all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.