Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why UK is no1 choice for asylum seekers

Why UK is no1 choice for asylum seekers

Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Why UK is no1 choice for asylum seekers

Who said they had it hard??

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...g-benefit.html
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why UK is no1 choice for asylum seekers

So many stories like this but I wonder what they achieve?

Me for one [never a Sun reader, sorry] I don't miss tabloid newspapers!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jothefw
So many stories like this but I wonder what they achieve?

Me for one [never a Sun reader, sorry] I don't miss tabloid newspapers!
Tabloids are good for some comedy reading. Probably doesn't achieve much by reporting these stories apart from making people aware of what people can screw the government out of. It amazes me what people get away with. No-one deserves that many freebies how ever much they are in need of help. Most people would not believe this sort of thing goes on until you see it. Plus a bit of naming and shaming never hurt.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
Tabloids are good for some comedy reading. Probably doesn't achieve much by reporting these stories apart from making people aware of what people can screw the government out of. It amazes me what people get away with. No-one deserves that many freebies how ever much they are in need of help. Most people would not believe this sort of thing goes on until you see it. Plus a bit of naming and shaming never hurt.
It's not the family's fault though is it? It's the council to blame. Feel damn sorry for the family that they are now going to be abused because of the council's incompetence. I would imagine they had enough grief in Somalia, probably didn't expect it in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's not the family's fault though is it? It's the council to blame. Feel damn sorry for the family that they are now going to be abused because of the council's incompetence. I would imagine they had enough grief in Somalia, probably didn't expect it in the UK.
It is a shame for them. Fancy asking for a 5 bed house in an expensive suburb and getting it. They could request a not so luxury abode. How about a nice caravan park.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:08 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Why UK is no1 choice for asylum seekers

A few problems for you here:
  • These people are British citizens, not asylum seekers

• They have lived in the UK for 18 years; their asylum seeking days are long gone, and I bet they lived in a tiny shack for most of that time (that is, once they were released from their detention centre)

• All of their children were born in the UK and are therefore also British citizens

So the headline should really say "Why UK is #1 place for British citizens to live in big houses paid for by the council." Which just isn't very controversial, is it?

I agree that the council's decision is reckless, irresponsible and stupid. They should have found cheaper accommodation in a suitable area. But you can't blame it on the family; they're just regular British citizens in council-provided housing. So the only outrage here should be aimed at an incompetent local council - not the British family it is currently housing.

If you want to get angry at someone, try these useless mongrels. Here's a taster:
Ellen Morris claims more than £27,000 a year in benefits, smokes 40 cigarettes a day and has a taste for vodka. She has also been seen behind the wheel of a Land Rover Discovery. But when she appeared before magistrates in Burnley for driving while disqualified she escaped a fine by pleading poverty. Not only that, she also had £1,800 worth of previous unpaid fines written off. Magistrates ordered her to remain in the court building for two hours as a token punishment in return for their generosity.

Although the magistrates had the power to jail her for up to six months, they imposed a 12-month community order for the latest offence and cut her £2,831 of outstanding fines, imposed for the initial drink-driving charge and an accumulation of other offences, to £1,040. Mary Thomas, chairman of the bench, said £20 a week would be deducted from her benefits to pay off the remainder and warned her she faced jail if she broke the law again.

Morris, a mother of 13, boasted that she wants more children as it would make her eligible for more benefits and a larger house. She said, "I'd like another couple of kids. Why not? It's not easy making the money stretch. They all want the latest gear and Nike trainers and I like Lacoste jumpers. Then there's my cigs. I smoke 40 a day and I like vodka and Coke. You've got to have some pleasures in life." She said she needs to double the £27,000 a year to live comfortably.
Obviously you expect that sort of thing in Burnley, but even so...

Here's another classic example of Britain's very own home-grown filth:
The Cromptons have two free houses, £32,656 a year in benefits and a host of mod-cons, yet they're suing for more claiming they've been treated "diabolically". They're even demanding a cleaner to rid their home of two years of filth. Their super-sized seven-bed house looks like a Currys warehouse, with at least three computers, two widescreen TVs, a DVD player, video, hi-fis, Xbox computer console and a little-used vacuum cleaner.

Mum Tracey, who hasn't worked for 18 years and who has 10 children aged three to 18, said, "We're not scroungers. We don't want to be on the dole. We just want a good place to live." Tracey and husband Harry, who hasn't worked for 13 years, were given two council houses knocked into one two years ago, at a cost of £20,000.

[...]

A working parent would have to earn £46,500 a year before tax and National Insurance to enjoy the Cromptons' £32,656.
(Source).

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 30th 2009 at 8:49 am.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of

I can honestly say I'm ashamed to be British (and it saddens me to say that)... but we're the laughing stock of the world. It wont take months to sort out this country, it will take decades, and even then, perhaps its just all too late.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of

In the words of Blackadder 'I have a cunning plan'

For all of us moving to Oz and having to rent out or sell our properties, here's an idea. Let's offer our modest homes to the social housing departments. If its worth £600 per month to the 'average joe' it seems we can ask the social to pay us £1200 per month as they dont seem bothered about paying over the market price.

Perhaps they will refit our homes with a new kitchen, bathroom, carpets too. Maybe even fit a plasma screen and a hot tub. That way we can sell our houses in two years having had the council spend lots of money on it for the tennants. Quids in.

I think maybe I've just solved all our problems. Any takers???

Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like their days are up.Just read the whole story and looks like the place is going up for sale.Also says the councils are doing a reform on housing benefit ect.Just out of interest what do the asylum seekers in Oz get?Social housing?Benefits?Rent relief?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Just out of interest what do the asylum seekers in Oz get?Social housing?Benefits?Rent relief?
All of the above.....but don't let other immigrants find out......they are trying to escape that sort of thing
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmouse
I can honestly say I'm ashamed to be British (and it saddens me to say that)... but we're the laughing stock of the world. It wont take months to sort out this country, it will take decades, and even then, perhaps its just all too late.
What a stupid post
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

So Stampy, your are saying that you can't blame these....

I agree that the council's decision is reckless, irresponsible and stupid. They should have found cheaper accommodation in a suitable area. But you can't blame it on the family; they're just regular British citizens in council-provided housing.
..but we can blame these.

Ellen Morris claims more than £27,000 a year in benefits, smokes 40 cigarettes a day and has a taste for vodka. She has also been seen behind the wheel of a Land Rover Discovery

Why's that then?. What's the difference in your view?.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Nov 30th 2009 at 7:49 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
All of the above.....but don't let other immigrants find out......they are trying to escape that sort of thing
I wasn't.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I wasn't.
me neither.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Cushty . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.