Wikiposts

why is it so hard

Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light
Default why is it so hard

How come when we started the process to come over here to perth, the visa agents and agencies told us that perth was crying out for Electrical Linesmen to come over and there were hundreds of vacancies and there would be no trouble getting a job here with good money because it was a skilled job that was in big demand.

We have now been over here 8 weeks and everywhere my hubby goes to get a Linesman job, they now say he cant get the money he deserves or the job because the english licences/certificates he holds doesnt mean anything here in oz!! why didnt they tell us that in the beginning, it would have helped.

We don't know what to do now or how to get around it

Today he e-mailed lots of agencies to register to do anything because he is a good worker and is getting restless now cos he needs something to keep him occupied, has anyone else been in this situation and what did they do to sort it out/

Apart from that we are loving it here honest, its just that he likes to be working.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:18 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why is it so hard

Originally Posted by yanchep
How come when we started the process to come over here to perth, the visa agents and agencies told us that perth was crying out for Electrical Linesmen to come over and there were hundreds of vacancies and there would be no trouble getting a job here with good money because it was a skilled job that was in big demand.

We have now been over here 8 weeks and everywhere my hubby goes to get a Linesman job, they now say he cant get the money he deserves or the job because the english licences/certificates he holds doesnt mean anything here in oz!! why didnt they tell us that in the beginning, it would have helped.

Today he e-mailed lots of agencies to register to do anything because he is a good worker and is getting restless now cos he needs something to keep him occupied, has anyone else been in this situation and what did they do to sort it out/

Apart from that we are loving it here honest, its just that he likes to be working.
I do not know Perth or your hubbys job, but I can understand your position - my husband came over as a printer to Sydney and was a new car salesman for over two years because a lot of the jobs are who you know not what you know or how well trained. Look up on this site - not just this forum, about the job he does, check out the qualifications (Aus Style) and possibly know he might have to go back to recheck his certificates.

This stage for many people is tough, but you have one thing going - you like it so far, keeping enjoying and keep trying. And if this thread does not get you answers keep posting! Someone might have some ideas.

Good Luck
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:31 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

I,m sorry to hear your situation, and without sounding like i,m taking the pee pee in hindsight now a little research into how the AU government reconises trades would have been a big help to yourselves but you know this already hey!

I have read about this a few times on hear people with trades arriving in OZ and really struggling to get qualified while in OZ because of the college hours they require and the difficulty you have getting english references while on the other side of the globe!

However although too late now surely your agent should have informed you of the difficulties in obtaining the ARTC, it seems to me that the minority of agents seem to be to quick to take your cash and offer little more thought into your application.
I presume that you did not get your visa with you OH's skills ?

anyway nothing hear you didn't know already, but again i feel for you and yours as it must be a right pain in the arse and i really hope you manage to get something sorted soon.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Dougie
Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

Our agent knew exctly what my hubby does and checked all his certificates etc, and still said there would be no problem in getting a job over here.

Hubby is more than qualified as a Linesman in England, he has all the certificates/licenses you can get and was top of his job there, Project Manager/Linesman.

We assumed as well that having been accepted for the TRA that they recognised his certificates etc and that there would be no problem.

You would think really that having done the job for 20 years and having got all the licenses/certificates he could get in England that it would prove he can do the job. But hey ho these things are sent to try us I suppose,
Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh forgot to say, Yes we did get the visa on my hubbys trade as they said it was a much needed skill over here and there would definately be no problem work wise
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:58 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I am no elecy , however I have freinds who are and they have the same problem, you need to have Australian licences to work here which makes the whole migrating process harder as you have to take exams when you get here.

The process is quite slow and painful, however there is good reason for it.

Imagine if you came from lets say, bulgaria, estonia etc and you had electrical licence and wanted to work here.

Could you imagine the problems that may be caused by having a substandard tradesman doing your electrical work ?

Different countries have different standards , western countries are pretty good, but have you seen some of the electrical work in India

Point being everyone needs to be treated the same and by having Australian standards and regulations then everyone who comes here has to meet a certain grade, for everyones safety.

Seems fair, but really you should have known this up front.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but he will need to be licensed to work as an Electrician here there's no way around it. Take a look in the Electricians forum, which will point you in the direction you need to go to get the licence. http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Especially take note of the sticky at the top (the one I have posted) it has links to licensing info for each state and also other useful posts that have been done over the past few years.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:25 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh forgot to say, Yes we did get the visa on my hubbys trade as they said it was a much needed skill over here and there would definately be no problem work wise
I am amazed at how many people post on here saying "THEY" told us there is plenty of work, "THEY" said we would get our visas etc etc. Another lady posted the other day saying the same thing as you (but a different occupation) - but it was apparently Govt reps saying this at an expo.

It is so unethical IMHO Maybe people should get this promise in writing in future. Having said that it does amaze me that lots of people I have met here had no idea they would need to get licences so maybe a bit more research wouldn't go amiss.

Sorry Yanchep, this doesn't really help you but I did remember reading about another poster called Kendalanita was an electrical linesman and was having problems getting work. Maybe you could pm them for some info.

At least you like it here

Good Luck
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:44 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be blunt but the bad stuff like this is posted on here quite frequently, it's just that (and I'm guilty of it too) that we kind of skip over it......anything negative is quite scary to read about when you are gambling your whole families future on the emigration process.

I read a controversial article not so long ago that said that we are almost being tricked into coming, bringing our money Sometimes it seems quite feasible don't you think?

On a positive note. With a bit of advice and a pointer in the right direction getting the Aussie equivalent in qualifications isn't that hard....just another hurdle to jump in the emigration process. Also be willing to start quite a bit further down the ladder from where you were in the U.K. It has taken my Hubby 4 years to get back to where he was in the electrical/mechanical trade.

I really hope you get it sorted soon......a Husband under your feet all day is almost as crippling as a rapidly depleting bank balance I'd say lol!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:01 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

we had the same thing as has many others my hubby had to do all his courses again when we arrived something we were not prepared for!

good luck
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its a point that constantly gets mentioned on BE with regard to various trades - people really do need to do their research themselves before they gt here - check out the State to which you are heading, and the requirements for your particular trade.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its a point that constantly gets mentioned on BE with regard to various trades - people really do need to do their research themselves before they gt here - check out the State to which you are heading, and the requirements for your particular trade.
Its tha same with many trades.
My OH has been a painter/decorator for over 20 years.
However here in Perth he has to do his licence if he wants to work for himself?..............Thats just the way it is
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Its tha same with many trades.
My OH has been a painter/decorator for over 20 years.
However here in Perth he has to do his licence if he wants to work for himself?..............Thats just the way it is
Thats right, its the way it works - most trades need licences of some sort, and most States have slight differences in their requirements.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

Hi Yanchep - we are in exactly the same boat as you! We have been here since beg April, got TRA and skilled migration visa based on OH job in UK as enhanced overhead linesman, yes apparently they are 'crying out' for this skill - NOT!!!! After applying for nigh on 50 jobs before we came he eventually got a job offer from a company who said it would be a simple process of getting his Cert 3, having some assessment on the job and we would be good to go! Well sorry to say it is now 7 months down the line, no sign of Cert 3, we have been to hell and back with all this as probably like you we have given up brilliant jobs back in the UK to come here thinking that after a short while and a small amount of re training he would be a linesman over here. His boss here is right behind him as are all the guys he is working with saying how ridiculous this is, he has more experience than all of them put together. Needless to say we keep thinking, what have we done - given up brilliant jobs at home, sold our beautiful home, got crap jobs here, no money, no friends. no social life - we just lurch from day to day hoping we get some good news soon as regards the elusive 'Cert 3'!!! How long we will carry on - I don't know - we can't go on like this forever - I really do hope you have more luck than we have had so far. PM me if you like xx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.