Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shrimps On The Barbie

Shrimps On The Barbie

Old Aug 2nd 2022, 2:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Shrimps On The Barbie

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I agree. I don't even use my real name on Facebook, and I know if I had been told to register in my real name on this (or any other) forum, I would have kept walking and never registered.

I did get a load of very personal abuse from one person who used to be a member here a few years back - after I had met several local expats, and he knew my real name. The abuse I got as a mod from a few members was more anonymous as they only knew my screen persona, and hence it was much easier to shrug off. One person I do remember though was so desperate to send me abuse that she contacted a migration agent with whom I had chatted on here, and demanded that he tell her my contact details and/or pass on her messages! Fortunately he had more sense and loyalty!!
That's shocking!
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 8:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I don't even use my real name on Facebook, and I know if I had been told to register in my real name on this (or any other) forum, I would have kept walking and never registered.

I did get a load of very personal abuse from one person who used to be a member here a few years back - after I had met several local expats, and he knew my real name. The abuse I got as a mod from a few members was more anonymous as they only knew my screen persona, and hence it was much easier to shrug off. One person I do remember though was so desperate to send me abuse that she contacted a migration agent with whom I had chatted on here, and demanded that he tell her my contact details and/or pass on her messages! Fortunately he had more sense and loyalty!!
Sorry to hear that. Some people are assholes - and cowards. They'll say things online that in no way, shape or form would they say the same to somebody's face

Putting your real name online, apart from a few limited instances is mental. There is so much dodginess out there it's not funny. The less info you divuldge, the better
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

People can be just awful sometimes, and forum members would be appalled if they knew what goes on I'm sure. I've had similar, including somebody who sent me the most horrendous video and threats via my business website - no idea if he just got lucky and guessed it from the little info I've given on here, or if somebody I know both on and off the forum gave it to him. Either way, he was banned pretty quickly and then all the regulars were up in arms at him being banned because they thought he was lovely and we were evil.

So yeah, the 'real name' thing is a no brainer for me.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
People can be just awful sometimes, and forum members would be appalled if they knew what goes on I'm sure. I've had similar, including somebody who sent me the most horrendous video and threats via my business website - no idea if he just got lucky and guessed it from the little info I've given on here, or if somebody I know both on and off the forum gave it to him. Either way, he was banned pretty quickly and then all the regulars were up in arms at him being banned because they thought he was lovely and we were evil.

So yeah, the 'real name' thing is a no brainer for me.
That’s the problem, some are ready to believe lies that are spread around, when really they have no idea what has been happening.

I agree about anonymity. Is my real name really Jerseygirl, or has everything I have posted been based on someone else.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I think anybody that does so is mad
Putting your real name online, apart from a few limited instances is mental

Well...!! Look at that. I've been insulted twice within 24 hours! Whatever next?
(Joke! I'll take my chances. But still... "mad"?? "mental"?? Me?? Heavy manners, people!)
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow

Well...!! Look at that. I've been insulted twice within 24 hours! Whatever next?
(Joke! I'll take my chances. But still... "mad"?? "mental"?? Me?? Heavy manners, people!)
No matter how many times you say ‘this is the real me’…it may not be.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 1:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote the 'mental' quote and was not insulting you - and to think so is somewhat bizarre

If I'm going to insult you, you'll reply to your post directly and insult you that way

Hope this helps

Old Aug 3rd 2022, 6:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I would've thought with your oft-claimed long association with Australia, you would have a thicker skin than that! Incredibly mild for this forum
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 8:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I wrote the 'mental' quote and was not insulting you - and to think so is somewhat bizarre

If I'm going to insult you, you'll reply to your post directly and insult you that way

Hope this helps
I'll not you'll!
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 8:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My real name is spouse of scouse.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 8:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I had taken from your post that it wasn't your real name, but perhaps not……….

Hopefully as you're not a mod you won't get the charming missives which make our lives so exciting, so all will be good even if it is your real name.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My real name is spouse of scouse.
I knew that!
Old Aug 8th 2022, 2:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I can't understand why on earth anybody would use their real name on a forum personally, I think anybody that does so is mad. .... If I used my real name that would make it easy for the nutters to find me ....
This! I could actually have written it myself.
..... Using my real name on a publicly available forum would have been a seriously bad idea. .....
This, IMO, for too many reasons to list them all, but including employment, and stalkers/ on-line wierdos (iincluding some family members - my sister is a registered member of BE).
Originally Posted by RICH
My name is real, perhaps but it is not smart to have definitive identifying info out on the interwebs. Stalkers/ID theft/ future job /immigration applications, like that. Not to mention annoying spam.
All of these reasons.
.... So, back to my question: why do BE members all adopt fake identities? And, how do they choose their names? I'd really like to know, and I'm not being the least bit critical. My thanks to any and all responders.
I am not kean to broadcast my identify to the world, and while there have been a handful of occasions that I have shared my true identy and/ or location with individuals, I would not be comfortable leaving enough breadcrumbs for anyone with an internet connection to track me down. On the plus side there are several people with the same name as me in the area where I live, but I live in a relatively sparsely populated area, and I think it would be easy enough for someone who was determined to track me down, to do so if I used my real name. Even without my name I avoid posting stories about my immediate neighborhood (for reasons given below), at least not until months or years later - for example fatal road accidents or police activity, which if I mentioned real-time could easily be traced to my neighbourhood, but there have occasionally major news stories of one sort or another that link back to my sleepy corner of NC, which I therefore don't mention on BE.

All that said, I am a faily private person and certainly don't want to be traced by people related to either my employment or business, as far as possible. At one of my previous employers, one colleague (I never knew or met) "disappeared" (not in either the US or UK/ Europe) while on an assignment, and I would sooner not run too much of a risk of that happening to me. I do cross paths, albeit usually distantly, with a few unsavoury characters - I know of two murderers currently imprisoned in NC - one I used to work with and knew on first name terms, and the another was the son of a client who I met many times. I also knew two people who were killed - including the victim of the client's son.

On the filp side, I did inadvertently spook one of the BE regulars some years ago after he shared, over a period of several years, enough snippets of information to nail down his home address, despite him being registered under a totally ficticious name on BE! He published his location as a relatively small (pop c20,000) city, which was his first, but arguably his biggest mistake. Then one day he described in one of his posts something about the shape/ design of his street and the number of immediate neighbours he had, so that narrowed his address down to just a handful of possible roads in the city where he lived. Then another time he mentioned that people commonly mispelled/ misheard his street name (obviously he gave only the part of the name which caused problems - but it was like "chase" or "passage"), but that only overlapped with less than a handful of houses that also fit with the previous description of his immediate neighbors homes. From there it was easy to find his real name, his wife's name, and her registered business ..... so even using a fake user name on BE is no guarantee that you can't be traced if you are careless with other personal information.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 8th 2022 at 3:14 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2022, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey, Pulaski. If you're ever down in Grand Cayman, give me a ring and come over for a cuppa and a chat! My address and phone number are in the book. Open house, man!
Old Aug 8th 2022, 10:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, Pulaski. If you're ever down in Grand Cayman, give me a ring and come over for a cuppa and a chat! My address and phone number are in the book. Open house, man!
That hardly seems like much of a challenge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.