Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why? See thread for more details.

Why? See thread for more details.

Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia still safe for Indians

Originally Posted by SecretHero
I didn’t think there would be plenty (but still enough to cause issues). Otherwise the Australia wouldn’t be an immigrant country.

Hard to believe.
I always heard the other way around. I am not focusing on Indians. I am looking at all minorities.
Have you ever lived in Australia? If not, you would be amazed at the difference in culture here. Australians have nicknames for just about every nationality and aren't shy about using them. Americans are all Yanks, New Zealanders Kiwi, South Africans are Saffas, British are Poms (or whinging Poms depending on who you talk to), anyone of European descent (Italian, Greek, etc) are Wogs, and so on. Things which are unheard of in Canada are frequently said here and not just by the unwashed masses, but in the mainstream media.

Not that minorities are not discriminated against here, because I'm sure there is some degree of discrimination, but don't fool yourself that white, english speaking immmigrants don't face discrimination as well.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:14 am
Banned

pinkpik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why? See thread for more details.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The Indians are very quick to call any attack against them a racist attack. The other groups especially the Chinese seem to take it in their stride.

I'll repeat what I've said on other threads re this subject.... If Indians want to look at successful Asian Integration they should look towards the Chinese, Vietnamese, and Malaysians, who are doing a fantastic job of fitting in.

You'll find they get attacked on average just as much as everyone else.... I've never heard them calling the race card.

Now what we have is people very aware that Indians want to be treated overall as "special" Which is not the way Australia works.

You do realise there have been substantial pockets of Fijian Indians here for 2 or 3 decades ? they've never had a problem. I think their expiereince in Fiji may have helped them with integration.
It is possible i agreed that not every attack was inspired by being an indian. But if there are just 5% of total 1247 attacks then its matter of worry, isnt it? Regarding "Now what we have is people very aware that Indians want to be treated overall as "special" Which is not the way Australia works.", its your thinking only not the fact. just complainting about attacks through peaceful rallies is not a special demand. normally indians are living peacefully as you note in almost every corner of the world since decades and having many good positions and loves that countries where they are living.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's utterly utterly hilarious, the Indians getting on their high horses about this. But rather than posit my own views on the subject, I think this diagram illustrates the point better than mere words can.

http://imgur.com/EzYwS.jpg

So if Indians are so stupid that they think they're more likely to get killed here in Oz than they are in their own backyard, then they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a visa in the first place.
Hutch,
1) Always use gentle words, thats not the way to call entire community. P.S. I am not demanding/expecting your apology.
2) Its more crime in india, but look at the population gap also, india has so much population then ozland.
3) If india was like australia then why indians migrate to ozland? people who like good lifestyle, peaceful living and rewarding work etc. only migrate somewhere in search of that. And If ozland like india then who would like to migrate here?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkpik
Hutch,
1) Always use gentle words, thats not the way to call entire community. P.S. I am not demanding/expecting your apology.
2) Its more crime in india, but look at the population gap also, india has so much population then ozland.
3) If india was like australia then why indians migrate to ozland? people who like good lifestyle, peaceful living and rewarding work etc. only migrate somewhere in search of that. And If ozland like india then who would like to migrate here?
Can I just say that for me personally, no idea about anyone else, I have issues with you calling Australia ozland. Now I have no idea why I find it objectionable but I honestly do. I've never heard it before and can safely say I don't want to hear it again. Thanks.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can I just say that for me personally, no idea about anyone else, I have issues with you calling Australia ozland. Now I have no idea why I find it objectionable but I honestly do. I've never heard it before and can safely say I don't want to hear it again. Thanks.
I was not aware that calling australia as ozland might be objectionable with anyone who is here in this forum since Apr 2004 having 28,746 Posts as it is used here since some years. You can however search with my called word and it might be interesting for you to see some pages where it has been used since the year 2005, some 4 years before i joined this forum.

Anyway, i am sorry if it hurts you.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkpik
I was not aware that calling australia as ozland might be objectionable with anyone who is here in this forum since Apr 2004 having 28,746 Posts as it is used here since some years. You can however search with my called word and it might be interesting for you to see some pages where it has been used since the year 2005, some 4 years before i joined this forum.

Anyway, i am sorry if it hurts you.
Just did a search and in the main it appears to be a word used by Indians and one Canadian. Oh and one person who seems to be Indian who had it as a username.

Wasn't aware I'd accused you of making the word up. It just seems a stupid word. If Australia is too long, most people manage Aus with no trouble.

However it's obviously just me who has a problem with it, regardless of how long I've been registered or how many times I've posted in that time.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a search and in the main it appears to be a word used by Indians and one Canadian. Oh and one person who seems to be Indian who had it as a username.

Wasn't aware I'd accused you of making the word up. It just seems a stupid word. If Australia is too long, most people manage Aus with no trouble.

However it's obviously just me who has a problem with it, regardless of how long I've been registered or how many times I've posted in that time.
It annoyed me too, but not as much as the rest of the posts. Here's a question for you MP...Why can't mods put people on ignore?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:57 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Indians have their minds more clearly on landing after they have jumped the rainbow?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WillBlack
And here it is in murders per capita.

# 26 India: 0.0344083 per 1,000 people
# 43 Australia: 0.0150324 per 1,000 people

India / Australia = 0.0344083 / 0.0150324 = 2.288942551
I see Australia has more murders per capita than the UK in that list.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devlin
Had. Over 10 years ago. These statistics are as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:21 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
Are you sure you're not a Pom - lost all numeric ability to poor schooling and what remained to best bitter?

The numbers:
# 46 United Kingdom: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

Lets make that per 10,000,000 people to be sure you won't have a problem with the [decimal] point:

Australia: 150 per 10,000,000 people
United Kingdom: 140 per 10,000,000 people

I don't know about the UK so much but I do know that in Australia we don't have a Ministry for Murder Planning and Execution so we don't have budgets for the coming years murders. We just have to take what comes. And that means the number varies from year to year.

Last edited by WillBlack; Jan 11th 2010 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:38 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you're not a Pom - lost all numeric ability to poor schooling and what remained to best bitter?

The numbers:
# 46 United Kingdom: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

Lets make that per 10,000,000 people to be sure you won't have a problem with [decimal] point:

Australia: 150 per 10,000,000 people
United Kingdom: 140 per 10,000,000 people

I don't know about the UK so much but I do know that in Australia we don't have a Ministry for Murder Planning and Execution so we don't have budgets for the coming years murders. We just have to take what comes. And that means the number varies from year to year.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
No good looking up at the ceiling, you won't find the answer there.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:43 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

No good looking up at the ceiling, you won't find the answer there.
I know the answer already. There are more murders per 1000 people in Aus than the Uk.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I know the answer already. There are more murders per 1000 people in Aus than the Uk.
You have been buzy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.