Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why are houses in Australia not good looking? (and US Healthcare)

Why are houses in Australia not good looking? (and US Healthcare)

Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are houses in Australia not good looking?

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
If you want to live within 10kms of a capital city you'll have little luck finding a large house with a big yard, like most 1st world countries - try getting a 4 bed house with a big yard for $500k in London, New York etc, Australia is no different. You'll still get an awful lot for your money if you don't live in a big city. Like Norway, Australia has not suffered a recession due to its resources, hence why prices are still high compared to the likes of Florida etc. You can't really compare houses in South America to Australia, most countries there are still 2nd world at best with wages a fraction of.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Troll or not he has a point

Houses here are, in the most part, expensive piles of crap.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Troll or not he has a point

Houses here are, in the most part, expensive piles of crap.
Point or not... Post it as yourself and don't hide behind a new persona...
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Rockwell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
"
As for your question about housing... Simple, Australia housing is expensive. You can't afford a decent place so you're drawing the conclusion that all Australian housing is rubbish. It's not
No, that was not my conclusion..it was that COMPARED to other countries prices in Australia are pretty high......and I THOUGHT, that since Australia was such a big country...with lot's of land....prices would not be so high, outside of the big cities as say in England, where land is expensive almost wherever you go. So when I went on the real estate sites and saw what 500 000 dollars could get me...I was a bit dissapointet with the results. But Australia has many other things to offer, so people who move there have to weigh up what is important to them. Im still in the starting proces of looking for something outside of northern Europe...so you'll excuse me if I come off a bit "un-experienced" in Australian house prices.

But I have seen plenty of beautiful australian houses! But their prices are insane! If you check out what you can get in Portugal or Florida for the same price... I was just commenting on the ARCHITECTURE of the houses..which bluntly speaking were....not pretty.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockwell
No, that was not my conclusion..it was that COMPARED to other countries prices in Australia are pretty high......and I THOUGHT, that since Australia was such a big country...with lot's of land....prices would not be so high, outside of the big cities as say in England, where land is expensive almost wherever you go. So when I went on the real estate sites and saw what 500 000 dollars could get me...I was a bit dissapointet with the results. But Australia has many other things to offer, so people who move there have to weigh up what is important to them. Im still in the starting proces of looking for something outside of northern Europe...so you'll excuse me if I come off a bit "un-experienced" in Australian house prices.

But I have seen plenty of beautiful australian houses! But their prices are insane! If you check out what you can get in Portugal or Florida for the same price... I was just commenting on the ARCHITECTURE of the houses..which bluntly speaking were....not pretty.

The answer is very very simple.

If you want european architecture and house design, move there, not here

See, SORTED!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

Move to Portugal. Problem solved.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by eddie007
The answer is very very simple.

If you want european architecture and house design, move there, not here

See, SORTED!
snap
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:54 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

buy a piece of land and build a palatial mansion.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Rockwell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
If you want to live within 10kms of a capital city you'll have little luck finding a large house with a big yard, like most 1st world countries - try getting a 4 bed house with a big yard for $500k in London, New York etc, Australia is no different. You'll still get an awful lot for your money if you don't live in a big city. Like Norway, Australia has not suffered a recession due to its resources, hence why prices are still high compared to the likes of Florida etc. You can't really compare houses in South America to Australia, most countries there are still 2nd world at best with wages a fraction of.
Yes. And that is what is called a compromise. Australia = 1st world country, low crime, high prices. South America = 2nd world countries, medium to high crime, low prices. Europe = Same as Australia, but slightly better house prices outside city centres...architecture also nicer. THAT was my only comment..really. I just want a warm climate. And safety. That houses don't face up as nice for the amount of money you would get a really nice looking house in Southern Europe. Anyways, I'm talking out my ass.

Me new poster. Think Australia nice country. Have money. But house ugly.

Last edited by Rockwell; Feb 5th 2011 at 10:57 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes. And that is what is called a compromise. Australia = 1st world country, low crime, high prices. South America = 2nd world countries, medium to high crime, low prices. Europe = Same as Australia, but slightly better house prices outside city centres...architecture also nicer. THAT was my only comment..really. That houses don't face up as nice for the amount of money you would get a really nice looking house in Southern Europe. Anyways, I'm talking out my ass.

Suck it up Princess
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes. And that is what is called a compromise. Australia = 1st world country, low crime, high prices. South America = 2nd world countries, medium to high crime, low prices. Europe = Same as Australia, but slightly better house prices outside city centres...architecture also nicer. THAT was my only comment..really. I just want a warm climate. And safety. That houses don't face up as nice for the amount of money you would get a really nice looking house in Southern Europe. Anyways, I'm talking out my ass.

Have money but not enough for australia..... And european taste..

If you do come to australia there is an expectation that you will integrate...
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:02 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Build your own...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMansion

I quote.."One real-estate writer explains the successful formula for McMansions: symmetrical structures on clear-cut lots with Palladian windows centered over the main entry and brick or stone enhancing the driveway entrance, plus multiple chimneys, dormers, pilasters, and columns—and inside, the master suite with dressing rooms and bath-spa, great rooms, breakfast and dining rooms, showplace kitchen, and extra high and wide garages for multiple cars and SUVs"

and fill it with bogans..
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm loving this thread, troll or no troll...

i used to buy the Mail on Sunday in the uk, not because I liked reading it, but because I loved a good rant... And HE wont argue with me... I'd read the mail and have a bloody good rant at it...

This is ALMOST as good as the Mail on Sunday for me!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

I just want a warm climate. And safety.
How do you like your warm climate?... with a side plate of cyclone, or perhaps bush fires are more to your liking?
How about a nice flash flood, accompanied with some giant hail?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

. I don't want to come off as a snob, because I'm not.
Yes you are.
I don't think a visa should be a problem. Moneywise we have guaranteed income, no criminal record, we come from Europe and will apply like everyone else.
Yes you will. You have a health condition so likely fail the medical criteria for a visa. Without a job offer you have no guarenteed income. Nobody give a monkey's if you're from Europe.
Ok, I wasn't aware of any "medical criterion" to be able to apply for a visa. That sounds a bit nasty, don't you think?
No, it doens't sound a bit nasty. Why should Australian taxpayers fork our for your medical conditions? Does Norway let in people who have medical conditions so they can get free medical care?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.