Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why giving children the chicken pox jab could give YOU shingles

Wikiposts

Why giving children the chicken pox jab could give YOU shingles

Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:16 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why giving children the chicken pox jab could give YOU shingles

Originally Posted by emelems
really? thats great! havent seen any evidence so if you have a link then that would be great
The chicken pox vaccine is called Varivax in the US and can be used to boost immunity.

However, there is a more specific vaccine recommended for folks over 60 to help prevent shingles emergence:

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...s_000082_5.htm

It is called Zostavax in the US.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Bells Palsy is also caused by the same virus, my Dad had this and people think they have had a stroke.

My daughter had whooping cough at 17 and she was vaccinated as a young child so not everyone gets a good enough immune response I suppose.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:03 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Petals
Bells Palsy is also caused by the same virus, my Dad had this and people think they have had a stroke.

My daughter had whooping cough at 17 and she was vaccinated as a young child so not everyone gets a good enough immune response I suppose.
The whole cell pertussis vaccine, (whooping cough) is only around 54% effective in a vaccinated population. In most cases, those that were originally vaccinated can suffer more with it than those that haven't been.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty sure that to get shingles you had to already have the virus in your body - ie have already had chicken pox to some degee in the past. I also believed that this shingles virus can be reactivated by stress and other illness ie a weakened immune system allows it to reactivate.

So you can catch chicken pox from shingles but not the other way around
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Safin
I was pretty sure that to get shingles you had to already have the virus in your body - ie have already had chicken pox to some degee in the past. I also believed that this shingles virus can be reactivated by stress and other illness ie a weakened immune system allows it to reactivate.

So you can catch chicken pox from shingles but not the other way around
My oldest had chicken pox when she was a couple of weeks old (very very mild - just about 4-5 over her entire body) and she had shingeles when she was 5. She was hospitalised and given Zovirax intravenously (and also sedated for a long time). Was simply awful

My second child had the chicken pox vaccine about a year back. Have to find out for how long the vaccine is effective.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

that sounds terrible. My eldest had it when my middle one was 3 months. Dr told me then they couldn't catch it before 3 months as they have natural immunity - obviously a load of **** having heard this. He's since had a terrible bout of it. Looks like youngest will probably miss the experience if its so much rarer here due to the vaccine!

I had chicken Pox as an adult - horrific.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Yes, the older you are when you get chicken pox the more severe the attack is. Which is why my daughter had a very mild attack at 6 weeks.

And you're right, you can only get shingles if you have had an attack of chicken pox previously. The doctor told us this as well.