Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why giving children the chicken pox jab could give YOU shingles

Wikiposts

Why giving children the chicken pox jab could give YOU shingles

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Why giving children the chicken pox jab could give YOU shingles

Good article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-shingles.html
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why giving children the chicken pox jab could give YOU shingles

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
i have had both chicken poxs and shingles!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:40 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had either

Surely though if everyone has the vaccine Chicken pox will die out therefore so would shingles...but then theres always the people that don't innoculate I suppose...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hevs
I haven't had either

Surely though if everyone has the vaccine Chicken pox will die out therefore so would shingles...but then theres always the people that don't innoculate I suppose...
Not sure. i was told at school that you couldn't get shingles if you had previously had chicken pox. Hmm guess they were wrong.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:47 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, I see.

But yeah I reckon thats wrong cos I know two people who have had both too
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hevs
Ahhh, I see.

But yeah I reckon thats wrong cos I know two people who have had both too
Shingles is horrible. Took me ages to get over it.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:59 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
Rubbish paper and poor journalism hyping their point throught the results of "one study".
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:09 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I'm another one who had chicken pox as a kid and shingles as an adult...

Not pleasant... but not a strong enough reason to opt out of a vaccination program...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The article is rubbish, but the facts are relevant.

The vaccine is a live vaccine and gives the child who's just received it a mild case of chicken pox - usually a subclinical case (no symptoms). The child is usually not infectious. Since the virus strain used in the vaccine is mild, it's thought that any shingles outbreak in a previously immunised person would also be mild - though there is not yet enough data on that point. Shingles occurs when the dormant virus reactivates. I have had it (aged 11!) and it's very, very painful.

Even before the vaccine, the medical community knew that shingles occurred much more often in developed countries vs the developing world, and theorised that in the crowded, less sanitary conditions of the developing world, adults would be re-exposed to the virus through more frequent exposure to infected children, and would then re-build their own immunity. The virus dormant in their bodies would be less likely to mount a successful return to active state.

Now that a vaccine is available, adults' exposure to infectious children will drop even further. But is this enough to significantly change things? Not in the developed world, I don't think. Most children with active disease in the developed world are quarantined and would only "boost" their parents' and siblings' immune systems. The vaccine is really key for those who reached adulthood without catching the virus, because if such a person then does get chicken pox, the risks of death are significant. The vaccine is a godsend for these adults because it confers immunity with fewer side effects than the "wild" virus.

We will never be rid of chicken pox so long as we can't prevent shingles from occurring, because shingles can give chicken pox to people who haven't had chicken pox!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter has had chicken pox twice

Em x
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:52 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
You're right, my uncle has it and he cannot get rid of it and they have tried everything for the pain to no avail.

Cooler
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I had shingles not long after arriving in Australia. Apart from the actual nastiness of having the illness itself, it affected my eyes. I now have horribly unreliable unsight with very powerful glasses - which some days I need and some days I can almost do without. Seriously nasty disease to be avoided whenever possible.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I had shingles not long after arriving in Australia. Apart from the actual nastiness of having the illness itself, it affected my eyes. I now have horribly unreliable unsight with very powerful glasses - which some days I need and some days I can almost do without. Seriously nasty disease to be avoided whenever possible.
You sure your dodgy eyes are not due to MR BULMER ??
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:24 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There's evidence that if you get the jab as an adult (after having had chicken pox as a child) that you will re-build your immunity and lower your chances of having shingles.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:59 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There's evidence that if you get the jab as an adult (after having had chicken pox as a child) that you will re-build your immunity and lower your chances of having shingles.
really? thats great! havent seen any evidence so if you have a link then that would be great

Em x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.