Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do you post? (or not?)

Why do you post? (or not?)

Old Dec 25th 2015, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you post? (or not?)

I hear exactly what Ozzie is saying: forums are like a crossword.

I also used to enjoy the view of various people on news...the likes of Zulu and GarryP are my gurus on the popular view..

I've barely posted this year after 10 years. I simply don't want to post anymore.
A good thing, time to move on, really.
Nothing I do in Aus is really of interest, or relevant to new migrants. I didn't build a house and I've never needed a permit for anything, and by and large, life ticks on, a life absolutely established and in place.

Cheers
Old Dec 25th 2015, 6:22 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

It passes time. It amuses me. I ignore the crap I don't want to be involved in. Much like life, really.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 7:56 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's a relaxation tool for me.... not sure how that has come about... but when I'm browsing forums, I'm relaxing. Bit like doing a crossword, reading a newspaper or book.

It's a bit of engrained habit now... because before forums I was (M)Irc'ing and that goes back to 96.

Forums are a fantastic medium when something major happens in the world... and you want to gain as true a view of what is happening without the mass media putting their slant on it.

As for the fewer Newbies hanging around.... OS... I reckon it's a generational change personally... The forums are now taking a slightly backward step all around.

We are basically into almost 3rd generation T'net now as far as kids going through school with it are concerned.
Very true. That is evident from the meet-ups this last year or two. Very much shifting towards older people (mostly 40s to early 70s). A Canberra meet-up that I attended with a rival online expat group 5 years or so ago comprised a large much younger bunch (mostly 20s to late 40s). It's likely we are also influenced by the prevailing immigration rules. If for example Australia ups its maximum age for a skilled visa from 45 to 55 then that change has the potential to influence the age demographic of BE (at least for the Aussie sections).
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why do you post? (or not?)

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
...why do you post?
Bit of fun really, the internet is a playground.

We're all in the same boat after all (It's a metaphorical boat so no need to book tickets to send us to a detention center in Nauru.)
Old Jan 6th 2016, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Cycle racing and ironman take up most of allotted forum time ( which isn't much these days) but depending what's happening with racing/ training, I still have a look and a post here now and then.

I posted a fair bit when we first moved back to UK just to help folks and look and post in the Oz forum for two reason, to keep an eye on what is happening as I forget how long we've been away. Second reason is I don't mindmaking a comment or two but not interested in endless back and forths with folks who only want to fight.

BE has never been a big deal for me, I think mainly because I moved to Oz in the 80s and there wasn't this desperate need to know everything about everything before you moved. You did it and went with the outcome.

Currently recovering from another spine op, so post count is 'high'. ( like one of those bushfire signs!)
Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:08 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I hear exactly what Ozzie is saying: forums are like a crossword.

I also used to enjoy the view of various people on news...the likes of Zulu and GarryP are my gurus on the popular view..

I've barely posted this year after 10 years. I simply don't want to post anymore.
A good thing, time to move on, really.
Nothing I do in Aus is really of interest, or relevant to new migrants. I didn't build a house and I've never needed a permit for anything, and by and large, life ticks on, a life absolutely established and in place.

Cheers
This is me too. I used to post to try and stop people with rose tinted glasses from possibly making the biggest mistake in their lives by emigrating to Australia. After 12 years here life has become boring and monotonous and nothing interesting ever happens anymore, so not worth posting about.

Living in Australia and posting on this forum would be like asking an old age pensioner living in a retirement home to post about his daily experiences. "they forgot to empty my bedpan" would soon become very boring.

I only visited today because I was so bored I was cleaning up my internet links, and when I got to this one decided to have a quick look.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
This is me too. I used to post to try and stop people with rose tinted glasses from possibly making the biggest mistake in their lives by emigrating to Australia. After 12 years here life has become boring and monotonous and nothing interesting ever happens anymore, so not worth posting about.

Living in Australia and posting on this forum would be like asking an old age pensioner living in a retirement home to post about his daily experiences. "they forgot to empty my bedpan" would soon become very boring.

I only visited today because I was so bored I was cleaning up my internet links, and when I got to this one decided to have a quick look.
How've you been?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

There's definitely been fewer newbies passing through - and not many that hang around either which is sad

Who was new for 2015?

I can't remember the last newbie that came through Sydney. We've even stopped posting our Thursday night drink events now.

BE has been a great source of information in the past, and I guess sometimes it's helpful to try and pass that forward - particularly some of the weird little things that one tends to come across.

I used to love the debates that went on - there were some great ones back in the day. Global Warming rings a bell. I may not agree with everybody, but always amusing to see the keyboard warriors in action.

Originally Posted by arkon

We never did make it out for a beer. Are you still around Sydney?

S
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Simple answer - because I can. Started off like everyone else, looking for advice, made friends, enjoyed the buzz, arguments, good news, bad news etc etc. Modded for 8 years so posted all sorts of bossy shit, packed that in, friends are still here so I am too. I have little to offer newbies as I have no idea of Immi rules or how to get the early stuff sorted but as long as there is buzz, arguments, good news or bad news I'll be around.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Simple answer - because I can. Started off like everyone else, looking for advice, made friends, enjoyed the buzz, arguments, good news, bad news etc etc. Modded for 8 years so posted all sorts of bossy shit, packed that in, friends are still here so I am too. I have little to offer newbies as I have no idea of Immi rules or how to get the early stuff sorted but as long as there is buzz, arguments, good news or bad news I'll be around.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Evening
Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

And for those only driving by these days - why aren't you posting?
Because it's dead.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
but always amusing to see the keyboard warriors in action. S
I'm third from the right, on the back row.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
I'm third from the right, on the back row. http://www.evilenglish.net/wp-conten...or-600x370.jpg
Aaahhhhg.......You're back. Now things will liven up!
Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kim67
Aaahhhhg.......You're back. Now things will liven up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.