Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do tradies use Gas?

Wikiposts

Why do tradies use Gas?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do tradies use Gas?

We got our gas bills for the last two months now. For the house we live in it's $106.70 - which is what I expect it to be.

But for the house we are building it's $216.45

I get why the tradies need to use electricity. But why would they need to use gas? And why so much???

Bill is for two months from 10 Sept to 13 Nov.

In that period the tradies put the roof flumes and vents on the top storey. Plastered the inside of the top storey. Put the gyprock internal ceilings in. Put the air-con ducts in. And rendered and painted the outside upstairs.

Why do they need lots of gas to do this?

Or can a "friendly neighbour" hook into out supply and steal it?

Last edited by moneypenny20; Nov 18th 2009 at 8:39 pm. Reason: Wrong power!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do tradies use gas?

It doesn't include a connection fee by any chance?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
We got our electricity bills for the last two months now. For the house we live in it's $106.70 - which is what I expect it to be.

I get why the tradies need to use electricity. But why would they need to use gas? And why so much???

In that period the tradies put the roof flumes and vents on the top storey. Plastered the inside of the top storey. Put the gyprock internal ceilings in. Put the air-con ducts in. And rendered and painted the outside upstairs.

How about them running gas heaters to keep warm?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
It doesn't include a connection fee by any chance?
No. We had the connection fee with the first bill.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How about them running gas heaters to keep warm?
Lol. No, they don't need heaters. We are in Perth and it was nice and warm during the period in question.

But thanks for your suggestions.

Anyway, I phoned the gas company and they suggested I go out and do my own reading in case their guy made a mistake.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We got our electricity bills for the last two months now. For the house we live in it's $106.70 - which is what I expect it to be.

There's no mention of a gas bill
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There's no mention of a gas bill
Duh!!! Seeing you are mod .... Can you go into my original post and change "electricity" to "gas". Please?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

As an ex gas meter reader. I would suggest looking at the possibility of a leak on the house side of the meter.

Other than that no explanation.... unless they are all having lots of showers ?

Did they connect gas appliances after the meter was installed and allow a lot of gas to escape in the meantime ?

Last suggestion would be a meter reading error.... highly possible, although you automatically get reimbursed for this.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:31 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

They use your electricity to run their compressors to fill the natural gas tanks on their utes with your gas and add the cost of their time your building cost.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Duh!!! Seeing you are mod .... Can you go into my original post and change "electricity" to "gas". Please?
Done. Couldn't work out how others appeared to know what you were talking about when I was so confused
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As an ex gas meter reader. I would suggest looking at the possibility of a leak on the house side of the meter.

Other than that no explanation.... unless they are all having lots of showers ?

Did they connect gas appliances after the meter was installed and allow a lot of gas to escape in the meantime ?

Last suggestion would be a meter reading error.... highly possible, although you automatically get reimbursed for this.
They can't have showers because showers have not yet been installed. There is not a single tap in the house so far. The house isn't at lock-up stage yet.

For the same reason, no gas applicances installed yet.

That's the thing, really. There is nothing connected in or out of the house to the gas, except the meter box. Will look for a leak tomorrow and read the meter as well.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Done. Couldn't work out how others appeared to know what you were talking about when I was so confused
Thx. Sent you some karma.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

They can't have showers because showers have not yet been installed. There is not a single tap in the house so far. The house isn't at lock-up stage yet.

For the same reason, no gas applicances installed yet.

That's the thing, really. There is nothing connected in or out of the house to the gas, except the meter box. Will look for a leak tomorrow and read the meter as well.
If it's not a meter reading error, which is the best case scenario for you, then it's some kind of gas escape..... I'm not sure how you would deal with that one. Hmmm I always thought they put the appliances in etc before fixing gas meters ??

I left the Gas and Fuel about 14 years ago, but was a meter reader for 16 years.... I seem to remember plenty of houses with gas appliances in them and a gas supply to the house waiting to be connected with only the meter missing... like the final bridge ???

Maybe they do things differently now... or out West... Need a builder to comment methinks.

Actually the meter should be turned off if there are no appliances in the house.

Ask the builder/gas company why the meter isnt turned off. Ahaaa figured it someone turned it on and let Gas escape possibly !!! Thats got to be dangerous actually a meter with no appliances to run to.

Seems strange to me that the meter is there with no appliances in the house though... is that really how they do it now ?

Something is definitely wrong here. I dont think you should even have a Gas Meter yet.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 18th 2009 at 10:58 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Default Re: Why do tradies use Gas?

Probably all filling up their barbie gas bottles!