Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do kids start school so late here?

Why do kids start school so late here?

Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:45 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do kids start school so late here?

Originally Posted by TanyaN
I don't understand what the big deal is - they don't start school until age 7 in Europe. As for counting and reading, most parents usually start the basics with their kids before they go to school. Just because a child might keep saying he wants to go to school doesn't necessarily mean he wants to learn, it might be because he knows other children that have already started and wants to be included.
wrong on all counts as even his kindy teacher who was surprised when we said he needs to go to school at first now agrees.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:26 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

After years of moving immo.s in and out i find a lot of British kids very shy and inward, prehaps part of starting the serious education too early in life?? ......... mm
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:30 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
After years of moving immo.s in and out i find a lot of British kids very shy and inward, prehaps part of starting the serious education too early in life?? ......... mm
So you don't think it could have something to do with moving to the other side of the world ??......... F
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:49 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Bollocks

You seen my daughter? Shy and inward utter rubbish
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by thebears
Bollocks

You seen my daughter? Shy and inward utter rubbish
Mine are ask Cas and Carl
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:55 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Mine are ask Cas and Carl
Thats not what your neighbours told me fraser
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:57 am

Thats not what your neighbours told me fraser
Now I know you're lying as we don't have any, only empty blocks and showhomes, although I must admit sales are down
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:58 am
Melbourne Australia

Now I know you're lying as we don't have any, only empty blocks and showhomes, although I must admit sales are down
No you do have neighbours - the ones across the fields 2 miles away with the earplugs
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:00 am

No you do have neighbours - the ones across the fields 2 miles away with the earplugs
There was I thinking we hadn't met
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:03 am
Melbourne Australia

There was I thinking we hadn't met
Will one day mate
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:04 am

Will one day mate
You've probably heard us though, even if you didn't know it
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

It's a joke every day Henry asks when he'll be starting school. He goes to kindy and when he comes home we ask him what he's done he says mixing paint and dressing up.

At easter we went to an easter bonnet parade, we were cringing as they made 4 & 5 yr olds sing peter rabbit and they talk to the kids like they're two.

He should be reading by now he learnt more at his creche in the UK and the kindy teachers have even said that he needs to go to school as he's so inquisitive, no shit sherlock.

It's his birthday Wednesday and everyday we're getting. "but I'll be five, why can't I go ?"

Maybe you should check out other schools. The most recent news letter from my kids' school had a piece about the different strategies the kindy kids were using to learn addition.

I also haven't found start dates to be any later here. Daughter was in Year 2 in UK and joined Year 2 here. Son in reception in UK and into Pre Prim here. I suppose they have to have a cut off date somewhere and these won't necessarily match up with those in the UK so depending on where a childs birthday falls they may start later than they would have done in the UK- but not always.
When my son was 4 he would count backwards in 5's from 100 or recite the 3 times table (numbers were what fascinated him)- but he still enjoyed finger painting and dressing up at play school. It doesn't have to be one or the other. There are tons of games, books and software available for kids who want more though.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

That's just rubbish I'm afraid to say. My kids are a bit shy maybe, but that's called having manners, which I have to say a lot of Australian kids just don't have
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying he's an uphill gardener

Shiit..... Dont let him anywhere near Falmer Stadium ! No that just couldn't happen !

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 7th 2006 at 3:23 am.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Because of his age my youngest son not only moved back a year, he had to move back to primary school. !! He had been in high school in the UK and got moved back to primary here... he thinks its bloody brilliant. !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.