Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Maybe I moved in different circles but I rarely ever heard anyone in the UK use the term "wog" and certainly not in general conversation, only in derogatory terms (which is quite often how it's used here too).

I dont see Pom as being racist at all, and we've certainly never encountered any negativity because of where we come from - in fact down here the locals seem pleased that immigrants are coming in and helping their booming economy.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:59 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I always say that it is CLOSER to the UK (with sun) than just about any other country I can think, of which counts. It has to. IF you live in an expat enclave then it might be.

People are like the Brits, same dry humour, love of a cuppa.

But it isn't the UK and there are loads of fun nuances.
Perfect, thanks.

Im having too good a time to care. My little voice will change nothing so ill amuse myself until im dead. Ill be more thoughful when im dead i have along time to worry myself then.

Bring it on.

Im ordering off the next directory this week, anyone want anything
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:02 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Maybe I moved in different circles but I rarely ever heard anyone in the UK use the term "wog" and certainly not in general conversation, only in derogatory terms (which is quite often how it's used here too).

I dont see Pom as being racist at all, and we've certainly never encountered any negativity because of where we come from - in fact down here the locals seem pleased that immigrants are coming in and helping their booming economy.

so why is wog derogatory and pom isnt?

they are both slanderous names and cant be said in anything other than racist way as they are both racist terms
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:08 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

FAO alkristensen

1. Don't come to Sydney, there's a lot of gun crime here
2. Don't come to Sydney, it gets more rainfall than London
3. Don't come to Sydney... I can't think of anything else, but hopefully you're getting my point.

Don't go to Brisbane either - rains even more there.

Funnily enough, Australia isn't the UK but just with better weather. It's a vast area, made up of people of many different nationalities and cultures, with its own unique history.

But when you get here, go ahead and tell Australians that their country is just like the UK. Especially indigenous Australians, and every immigrant from a country besides the UK or whose ancestors came from outside of the UK. You'll make loads of friends that way.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:08 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
so why is wog derogatory and pom isnt?

they are both slanderous names and cant be said in anything other than racist way as they are both racist terms
Over here, it's not. See, you've got lots to learn. Start here:

http://www.wog.com.au/forum/default.asp
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chels
FAO alkristensen

1. Don't come to Sydney, there's a lot of gun crime here
2. Don't come to Sydney, it gets more rainfall than London
3. Don't come to Sydney... I can't think of anything else, but hopefully you're getting my point.

Funnily enough, Australia isn't the UK but just with better weather. It's a vast area, made up of people of many different nationalities and cultures, with its own unique history.

But when you get here, go ahead and tell Australians that their country is just like the UK. Especially indigenous Australians, and every immigrant from a country besides the UK or whose ancestors came from outside of the UK. You'll make loads of friends that way.
Same as the uk then

wow

Last edited by alkristensen; Apr 19th 2007 at 5:16 am.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:18 am
Banned

i cant register
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:19 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Rain whats that ?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:23 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Same as the uk then

wow

i lived in miss side for a while, shootings there, never saw one or near one, whats the likelyhood of that.

Why do you have drought alert and manchester doesnt
1. Not all of Australia is under water restrictions. And not just tropical (ie wet) areas like FNQ. Just south of Sydney is okay, if I remember rightly.

2. Why has Sydney got water restrictions? Because the rain doesn't always fall over the dams. Which are mostly built inland. And most people live by the coast. Therefore, there's a water shortage. Check out rainfall charts if you don't believe me. Or live inland, somewhere like Goulburn. Nice and dry there...

Go ahead, delude yourself into thinking Australia is just like the UK. Generalise away. If the better weather is the only thing you can think of that's different between the two countries, why not save yourself some money and buy a sun lamp and swap the bike for a car if getting wet is that awful (as you'll get wet here too).
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:25 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by themerlin
Rain whats that ?
Shhhhh... pretend it rains constantly Might put people off going there
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

A few more situations that you can put into words.

Attitudes toward women or among women shock many english people coming out here, not shock as in the racism type examples, just the plain backward attitude.

I think the last year most people heading back to Uk are doing so after being shocked at the workplace attitude toward staff. Heard that over and over in the last year.

Political attitudes and corruption in councils/politics shock once you get into that sort of stuff here, very corrupt.

I think there are also light moments when you get a culture shock like how many people have posted about turning up at a wedding/funeral to see bare feet and jeans, even if your used to near naked critters in the supermarket, someone in a singlet and jeans at a funeral still makes you

i still get shocked by the poverty here, its not in your face in these sort of areas, but get behind the suburbs and say into a medical centre/hospital and the amount of women living on a few hundred dollars a week while raising a kids is staggering.

Some of the political ideas, like offer anyone whos able to have a baby for $5000, nice for the sensible married couple, ridiculous for the amount of single teen or twenty women whos social circumstances or problems make such a sum of money look attractive. The social implications are bizzare and now after a few years of it obvious.

The news, be it the pakis are winning in sport or the crazy tallies that have to accompany everthing aussie, the death toll, the road toll the amount of aussies in a bus toll, being gruesome never stops the aussies position/ factor/number/position rearing its head

The cost of some things, like dental care, the shocking state of the health of some people needing basic care but not being able to afford it.

Skin cancer, seeing a clinic on every corner, seeing people with a multitude of crude scars across the back or face as they continue to have bits of cancer hacked off.

The hatred at certain events, like the sydney race riots to see the aussie flag being waved high in situations nobody could have any pride in, the anger hatred in those faces, quite scary.

The drought, fly in over a state that is completely brown, states that you read are green and lush. Live in a city with enough water to last eight months...

See a state ravaged by bushfire then hear a pom talking about how great it is it hasnt rained

England with sun, no australia with too much sun
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Great point ...

I'm doing 11.5 hour days now as opposed to my stock 8 hours "back home".

And the dollar definately does not go as far as the pound.

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
This is absolutely spot on. Some people are afraid to admit that they may not be as well off here as they expected, and get upset when others point out the failings that Australia has. All countries have their bad points, so why is Oz exempt?

I work the same hours here as I did in the U.K. I have a bigger house here, and the weather is better. However financially I was better off in the U.K. Why do people assume that here I will spend all of my free time with my family, doing "wholesome family" things, whereas in the U.K I would obviously be doing something else (sitting in the pub perhaps?)? If people are that way inclined, they will do it anywhere. Besides, they seem to forget that in the U.K, I actually had a lot of family to spend time with. Here, I am part of a very small family unit.

If I were to say that I would be having more holidays if I lived in the U.K, and driving a better car, people would jump down my throat about being too materialistic. They'd then go on in another thread about the bigger house with a pool they've just bought (Ooooh. It's soooo much better than what we were living in before....)! So many people talk about coming here for a better life with more leisure time, but this isn't always possible in a lot of cases. Many people have to work more hours here to make anything like they were before they left, which leaves them less time for family, holidays (coupled with the lesser annual leave allowance on average), and generally enjoying the "lifestyle" that is so heavily promoted.

And if you haven't already secured a job in Oz, make no mistake, it isn't easy, and whatever you might hear on the grapevine about how much you can expect to earn, don't believe it until the first payslip is in you hand. Only then can you pass comment on how much family time, the comparative cost and quality of living, and overall improvement in you circumstances the move to Oz has made. People who sit back in their armchair in rainy Grimsby or wherever, and spout on about all the free time, flash cars, nice houses etc etc they're going to have when they arrive are dreaming, and they will be sadly, in most cases, but not all, proved wrong when they arrive.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:51 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
A few more situations that you can put into words.

Attitudes toward women or among women shock many english people coming out here, not shock as in the racism type examples, just the plain backward attitude.

I think the last year most people heading back to Uk are doing so after being shocked at the workplace attitude toward staff. Heard that over and over in the last year.

Political attitudes and corruption in councils/politics shock once you get into that sort of stuff here, very corrupt.

I think there are also light moments when you get a culture shock like how many people have posted about turning up at a wedding/funeral to see bare feet and jeans, even if your used to near naked critters in the supermarket, someone in a singlet and jeans at a funeral still makes you

i still get shocked by the poverty here, its not in your face in these sort of areas, but get behind the suburbs and say into a medical centre/hospital and the amount of women living on a few hundred dollars a week while raising a kids is staggering.

Some of the political ideas, like offer anyone whos able to have a baby for $5000, nice for the sensible married couple, ridiculous for the amount of single teen or twenty women whos social circumstances or problems make such a sum of money look attractive. The social implications are bizzare and now after a few years of it obvious.

The news, be it the pakis are winning in sport or the crazy tallies that have to accompany everthing aussie, the death toll, the road toll the amount of aussies in a bus toll, being gruesome never stops the aussies position/ factor/number/position rearing its head

The cost of some things, like dental care, the shocking state of the health of some people needing basic care but not being able to afford it.

Skin cancer, seeing a clinic on every corner, seeing people with a multitude of crude scars across the back or face as they continue to have bits of cancer hacked off.

The hatred at certain events, like the sydney race riots to see the aussie flag being waved high in situations nobody could have any pride in, the anger hatred in those faces, quite scary.

The drought, fly in over a state that is completely brown, states that you read are green and lush. Live in a city with enough water to last eight months...

See a state ravaged by bushfire then hear a pom talking about how great it is it hasnt rained

England with sun, no australia with too much sun

I'll concur with a lot of that. I do think that the British media has a terrible fascination with finding British people caught up in natural disasters/plane crashes/student gun rampages/etc too though...

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I was just saying it's one thing that shocked me hearing that word used in everyday conversation, and I have heard Aussies use it in a derogatory way mainly too... (e.g. complaining about immigrants from non-white countries)

Alk, maybe you find Pom offensive but I dont.... just a personal thing I guess
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
People who sit back in their armchair in rainy Grimsby or wherever, and spout on about all the free time, flash cars, nice houses etc etc they're going to have when they arrive are dreaming, and they will be sadly, in most cases, but not all, proved wrong when they arrive.
Very true. But next time - post under your real username.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.