Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:28 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I was going to nominate you for Sainthood, too.
I bat for St Kilda
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I must admit how they talk about people of other races is definitely one thing that shocked me about how different the cultures are.

To hear the word "wog" used in everyday conversation is something I dont know if I'll ever get used to.
That's a fair point. I always shudder a little when I hear that. Another is the use of the term "Paki" to describe someone from a Pakistani background - particularly when the cricket is on!

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:29 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
you took it the wrong way then

you sound bored
You'd be too if you had to write an assignment for university on the joys of CSS.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit how they talk about people of other races is definitely one thing that shocked me about how different the cultures are.

To hear the word "wog" used in everyday conversation is something I dont know if I'll ever get used to.
Think you may have missed my post above

So is this shocking enough for you? In the 21st century words like that still being used, and they use it to describe pretty much any non-white person, e.g. Italians, Greeks, etc as well as black people.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mind real observations or personal experience although some are amusing and are non starters for many.

I don't like 'stupid' people or who sort of lack credibility. It's the attitude not the negativity. At it's worse, you wonder about the people at times.

I don't mind a bit of negativity about the UK as often it is true that people can benefit from a move - it is a site used by migrants after all and some times I don't think they have thought it out. You can actually factor in a bit of allowance for it naturally.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:31 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I bat for St Kilda
Is that a euphemism for something?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:32 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Is that a euphemism for something?
It's Australian cultural dialect
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Good for you ! However in the REAL WORLD some of us are more than capable of doing our research in advance and are flexible to deal with whatever life throws at us.

The cold hard fact is, that 2 weeks in Oz as a 'reccie' is of limited use - it WON'T tell you much more than you can gain from research over the internet.
A 2 week trip gives you an idea. There's only so much a book or website can tell you. It might, though, give you the ...wrong idea....
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

And I would say it's different for everyone, so what's the point of trying to rationalise it. It just seems to me that people on BE are happy to throw generalisations around, whereas the emigration process is different for everyone. It shouldn't matter what I think about anything to the prospects of a new immigrant. It's down to them to decide what they think when they get here and experiance it for themselves

Well said. I notice things here that others dont, and others complain and whinge about things that either don't bother me or I have no interest in at all.

Moving and living in another country is a very personal thing. For me, in terms of my career, this has been the best move I ever made, but in terms of being a home owner, it's going to cost. My friend Steve, once a teacher, would be quite happy working in a wharehouse all day, but owning a huge house in Adelaide.

It's about choices, you make them, then you have to live with them, but they don't effect everybody in the same way...

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You could say the same thing about negative views of the UK.
I see no difference here.
I get amazed that people 'bite' about the people that mention keywords like 'Blair' and 'Brown', 'country going to the dogs' and politics. I'd prefer to keep it to lifestyle and everyday realities.

It's just a non-starter. They will find out if they don't already.

I only tend to bother with myths, not politics.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:38 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I only tend to bother with myths, not politics.
It's often hard to see where one ends and the other begins!

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:39 am
Cup of tea, Father?

It's Australian cultural dialect
Is it a minority language? Could I get extra points for it on an immigration application?

Hopeful of Glebe
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by alkristensen

So why isnt it the UK with sun

al
I always say that it is CLOSER to the UK (with sun) than just about any other country I can think, of which counts. It has to. IF you live in an expat enclave then it might be.

People are like the Brits, same dry humour, love of a cuppa.

But it isn't the UK and there are loads of fun nuances.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gedge
you didn't mention the marmite
You can get the UK Marmite in Coles now called My Mate????
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:50 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Think you may have missed my post above

So is this shocking enough for you? In the 21st century words like that still being used, and they use it to describe pretty much any non-white person, e.g. Italians, Greeks, etc as well as black people.
Western Oriental Gentleman

WOG

Stamped in the passport

POM or POHM

Its how its used in my eyes. Its like the english in the 60s and 70s when all the asians came over to fill the menial jobs that us brits couldnt be arsed doing and then maing something of themselves and were ALL branded paki even though there were alot of indians PAKI was a more derogatory word than INDI.

So is WOG. I know im going to get racism towards me. I know im coming over there to take the lazy arsed Aussies jobs just like the asians did in the uk and the eastern europeans are doing now in the uk.

Im the first to admit that there are lazy gets sat on their arse being racist about the jobs that were taken by these immigrants and then getting jealous as we graft and try to make a life for our family as we are not allowed to claim dole for 2 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.