Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:20 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
It's an internet forum....we don't know you....how do we know what will shock you?????

You may be shocked by the treatment of the indiginous population here....you may be shocked by racial tensions....you may be shocked by the fact that you can't get your favourite cereal.....how the hell should we know.

I repeat, this is an internet forum, not the gospel
you didn't mention the marmite
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
give examples of culture that differs from the uk in such a way that i will be shocked

Harpoon a jap written on back of a truck.

Poms fuch off back home on australian flag.

The comment 'Slanty eyed bastards' within earshot of singapore family for no reason other than their appearance which was smart by aussie standards.

More pom bastards taking our jobs, workers on news we had employed a pom chippie.

On racial tensions I would suggest anybody with an ounce of compassion would be shocked at the living conditions of aboriginals, but then how many in North lakes etc get to see them, probably dont even know what I am talking about.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:21 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
OMG you'll be telling us Father Christmas doesnt really exist next?!
Don't be daft....he lives down the road from the tooth fairy
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Those things impact on you everyday.

I move through life as a white, middle class, educated, female. I will never know what it means to be black. Or uneducated. Or male. Or a hundred other things. That's the same in Aus. I can only view the world through my eyes as a Pom. I can live here for the rest of my life, and never experience Australia in the same way as someone who's lived here always does. I am socio-culturally located - I am me.

Taking me and putting me somewhere else means I won't fit. I can adapt and change and assimilate. But I still view the world through those assimilated eyes. I will always, always be on the outside looking in. It's just the way of emigrating.

That's why it's so difficult to explain. If you can't get that now, you will when you get here.

And that's far too sensible a post from me. I'm off to talk bollocks somewhere else.

being different is one thing but how can you not cope with birth tax traffic jams and death

i can cope with it better in the warmth on my motorbike without waterproofs on 360 days a years just in case.

I have a fun life nothing can stifle that. Tax unemployment crime drugs blah blah blah, al old news from the UK. What will be different for me.

The weather.

I have travelled the world. I am english with a Danish dad and a dutch mum. All my family are all over the world.

I lived one day as a black man (see my public profile)

All you lot can tell me is little differences that would not mean a jot to me apart from something to laugh at.

Im so glad

cant wait now

al

Last edited by alkristensen; Apr 19th 2007 at 4:32 am.
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

You mean BE isn't a religion?!

Should I dismantle the alter I've started to build?
I'm an atheist
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit how they talk about people of other races is definitely one thing that shocked me about how different the cultures are.

To hear the word "wog" used in everyday conversation is something I dont know if I'll ever get used to.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:22 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by gedge
you didn't mention the marmite
Because I hate it
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:24 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

All you lot can tell me is little differences that would not mean a jot to me apart from something to laugh at.
You sound thoroughly delightful.
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

arent they brits?
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an atheist
I was going to nominate you for Sainthood, too.
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

It's an internet forum....we don't know you....how do we know what will shock you?????

You may be shocked by the treatment of the indiginous population here....you may be shocked by racial tensions....you may be shocked by the fact that you can't get your favourite cereal.....how the hell should we know.

I repeat, this is an internet forum, not the gospel
I don't think it is any one or small group of things. I think it's the little things that you notice everyday that make up a whole huge pcture of difference between the two.

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

arent they brits?
No, the original ones are Australian, they did recruit a couple of Brits to take over the UK shows though.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:27 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't think it is any one or small group of things. I think it's the little things that you notice everyday that make up a whole huge pcture of difference between the two.

S

And I would say it's different for everyone, so what's the point of trying to rationalise it. It just seems to me that people on BE are happy to throw generalisations around, whereas the emigration process is different for everyone. It shouldn't matter what I think about anything to the prospects of a new immigrant. It's down to them to decide what they think when they get here and experiance it for themselves
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

arent they brits?
No, from Melbourne
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:28 am
Banned

You sound thoroughly delightful.

you took it the wrong way then

you sound bored

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.