British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/why-cant-some-people-stand-hear-negative-views-australia-443228/)

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 4:31 am

Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Originally Posted by Shakmaty (Post 4665046)
I bat for St Kilda:)

Is that a euphemism for something?

Shakmaty Apr 19th 2007 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 4665066)
Is that a euphemism for something?

It's Australian cultural dialect:)

BadgeIsBack Apr 19th 2007 4:33 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 4664482)
Good for you ! However in the REAL WORLD some of us are more than capable of doing our research in advance and are flexible to deal with whatever life throws at us.

The cold hard fact is, that 2 weeks in Oz as a 'reccie' is of limited use - it WON'T tell you much more than you can gain from research over the internet.

A 2 week trip gives you an idea. There's only so much a book or website can tell you. It might, though, give you the ...wrong idea....

Swerv-o Apr 19th 2007 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Shakmaty (Post 4665042)
And I would say it's different for everyone, so what's the point of trying to rationalise it. It just seems to me that people on BE are happy to throw generalisations around, whereas the emigration process is different for everyone. It shouldn't matter what I think about anything to the prospects of a new immigrant. It's down to them to decide what they think when they get here and experiance it for themselves

Well said. I notice things here that others dont, and others complain and whinge about things that either don't bother me or I have no interest in at all.

Moving and living in another country is a very personal thing. For me, in terms of my career, this has been the best move I ever made, but in terms of being a home owner, it's going to cost. My friend Steve, once a teacher, would be quite happy working in a wharehouse all day, but owning a huge house in Adelaide.

It's about choices, you make them, then you have to live with them, but they don't effect everybody in the same way...

S

BadgeIsBack Apr 19th 2007 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4663799)
You could say the same thing about negative views of the UK.
I see no difference here.

I get amazed that people 'bite' about the people that mention keywords like 'Blair' and 'Brown', 'country going to the dogs' and politics. I'd prefer to keep it to lifestyle and everyday realities.

It's just a non-starter. They will find out if they don't already.

I only tend to bother with myths, not politics.

Swerv-o Apr 19th 2007 4:38 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 4665102)

I only tend to bother with myths, not politics.

It's often hard to see where one ends and the other begins!

S

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Shakmaty (Post 4665071)
It's Australian cultural dialect:)

Is it a minority language? Could I get extra points for it on an immigration application?

Hopeful of Glebe

BadgeIsBack Apr 19th 2007 4:39 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4664623)

So why isnt it the UK with sun

al

I always say that it is CLOSER to the UK (with sun) than just about any other country I can think, of which counts. It has to. IF you live in an expat enclave then it might be.

People are like the Brits, same dry humour, love of a cuppa.

But it isn't the UK and there are loads of fun nuances.

sandrainaus Apr 19th 2007 4:47 am

Originally Posted by gedge (Post 4665012)
you didn't mention the marmite

You can get the UK Marmite in Coles now called My Mate????

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 4:50 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4665058)
Think you may have missed my post above

So is this shocking enough for you? In the 21st century words like that still being used, and they use it to describe pretty much any non-white person, e.g. Italians, Greeks, etc as well as black people.

Western Oriental Gentleman

WOG

Stamped in the passport

POM or POHM

Its how its used in my eyes. Its like the english in the 60s and 70s when all the asians came over to fill the menial jobs that us brits couldnt be arsed doing and then maing something of themselves and were ALL branded paki even though there were alot of indians PAKI was a more derogatory word than INDI.

So is WOG. I know im going to get racism towards me. I know im coming over there to take the lazy arsed Aussies jobs just like the asians did in the uk and the eastern europeans are doing now in the uk.:rofl:

Im the first to admit that there are lazy gets sat on their arse being racist about the jobs that were taken by these immigrants and then getting jealous as we graft and try to make a life for our family as we are not allowed to claim dole for 2 years.

bridie Apr 19th 2007 4:56 am

Maybe I moved in different circles but I rarely ever heard anyone in the UK use the term "wog" and certainly not in general conversation, only in derogatory terms (which is quite often how it's used here too).

I dont see Pom as being racist at all, and we've certainly never encountered any negativity because of where we come from - in fact down here the locals seem pleased that immigrants are coming in and helping their booming economy.

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 4:59 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 4665110)
I always say that it is CLOSER to the UK (with sun) than just about any other country I can think, of which counts. It has to. IF you live in an expat enclave then it might be.

People are like the Brits, same dry humour, love of a cuppa.

But it isn't the UK and there are loads of fun nuances.

Perfect, thanks.

Im having too good a time to care. My little voice will change nothing so ill amuse myself until im dead. Ill be more thoughful when im dead i have along time to worry myself then.

Bring it on.

Im ordering off the next directory this week, anyone want anything:rofl:

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 5:02 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4665173)
Maybe I moved in different circles but I rarely ever heard anyone in the UK use the term "wog" and certainly not in general conversation, only in derogatory terms (which is quite often how it's used here too).

I dont see Pom as being racist at all, and we've certainly never encountered any negativity because of where we come from - in fact down here the locals seem pleased that immigrants are coming in and helping their booming economy.

so why is wog derogatory and pom isnt?

they are both slanderous names and cant be said in anything other than racist way as they are both racist terms

chels Apr 19th 2007 5:08 am

FAO alkristensen

1. Don't come to Sydney, there's a lot of gun crime here
2. Don't come to Sydney, it gets more rainfall than London
3. Don't come to Sydney... I can't think of anything else, but hopefully you're getting my point.

Don't go to Brisbane either - rains even more there.

Funnily enough, Australia isn't the UK but just with better weather. It's a vast area, made up of people of many different nationalities and cultures, with its own unique history.

But when you get here, go ahead and tell Australians that their country is just like the UK. Especially indigenous Australians, and every immigrant from a country besides the UK or whose ancestors came from outside of the UK. You'll make loads of friends that way.

chels Apr 19th 2007 5:08 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4665198)
so why is wog derogatory and pom isnt?

they are both slanderous names and cant be said in anything other than racist way as they are both racist terms

Over here, it's not. See, you've got lots to learn. Start here:

http://www.wog.com.au/forum/default.asp

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 5:12 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4665215)
FAO alkristensen

1. Don't come to Sydney, there's a lot of gun crime here
2. Don't come to Sydney, it gets more rainfall than London
3. Don't come to Sydney... I can't think of anything else, but hopefully you're getting my point.

Funnily enough, Australia isn't the UK but just with better weather. It's a vast area, made up of people of many different nationalities and cultures, with its own unique history.

But when you get here, go ahead and tell Australians that their country is just like the UK. Especially indigenous Australians, and every immigrant from a country besides the UK or whose ancestors came from outside of the UK. You'll make loads of friends that way.

Same as the uk then

wow

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 5:18 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4665218)

i cant register

themerlin Apr 19th 2007 5:19 am

Rain whats that ?

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4665215)

chels Apr 19th 2007 5:23 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4665225)
Same as the uk then

wow

i lived in miss side for a while, shootings there, never saw one or near one, whats the likelyhood of that.

Why do you have drought alert and manchester doesnt

1. Not all of Australia is under water restrictions. And not just tropical (ie wet) areas like FNQ. Just south of Sydney is okay, if I remember rightly.

2. Why has Sydney got water restrictions? Because the rain doesn't always fall over the dams. Which are mostly built inland. And most people live by the coast. Therefore, there's a water shortage. Check out rainfall charts if you don't believe me. Or live inland, somewhere like Goulburn. Nice and dry there...

Go ahead, delude yourself into thinking Australia is just like the UK. Generalise away. If the better weather is the only thing you can think of that's different between the two countries, why not save yourself some money and buy a sun lamp and swap the bike for a car if getting wet is that awful (as you'll get wet here too).

chels Apr 19th 2007 5:25 am

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 4665237)
Rain whats that ?

Shhhhh... pretend it rains constantly :rofl: Might put people off going there :thumbup:

jad n rich Apr 19th 2007 5:38 am

A few more situations that you can put into words.

Attitudes toward women or among women shock many english people coming out here, not shock as in the racism type examples, just the plain backward attitude.

I think the last year most people heading back to Uk are doing so after being shocked at the workplace attitude toward staff. Heard that over and over in the last year.

Political attitudes and corruption in councils/politics shock once you get into that sort of stuff here, very corrupt.

I think there are also light moments when you get a culture shock like how many people have posted about turning up at a wedding/funeral to see bare feet and jeans, even if your used to near naked critters in the supermarket, someone in a singlet and jeans at a funeral still makes you :ohmy:

i still get shocked by the poverty here, its not in your face in these sort of areas, but get behind the suburbs and say into a medical centre/hospital and the amount of women living on a few hundred dollars a week while raising a kids is staggering.

Some of the political ideas, like offer anyone whos able to have a baby for $5000, nice for the sensible married couple, ridiculous for the amount of single teen or twenty women whos social circumstances or problems make such a sum of money look attractive. The social implications are bizzare and now after a few years of it obvious.

The news, be it the pakis are winning in sport or the crazy tallies that have to accompany everthing aussie, the death toll, the road toll the amount of aussies in a bus toll, being gruesome never stops the aussies position/ factor/number/position rearing its head:blink: :blink:

The cost of some things, like dental care, the shocking state of the health of some people needing basic care but not being able to afford it.

Skin cancer, seeing a clinic on every corner, seeing people with a multitude of crude scars across the back or face as they continue to have bits of cancer hacked off.

The hatred at certain events, like the sydney race riots to see the aussie flag being waved high in situations nobody could have any pride in, the anger hatred in those faces, quite scary.

The drought, fly in over a state that is completely brown, states that you read are green and lush. Live in a city with enough water to last eight months...

See a state ravaged by bushfire then hear a pom talking about how great it is it hasnt rained:eek:

England with sun, no australia with too much sun:lol:

Three Legs Apr 19th 2007 5:46 am

Great point ...

I'm doing 11.5 hour days now as opposed to my stock 8 hours "back home".

And the dollar definately does not go as far as the pound.

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana (Post 4664910)
This is absolutely spot on. Some people are afraid to admit that they may not be as well off here as they expected, and get upset when others point out the failings that Australia has. All countries have their bad points, so why is Oz exempt?

I work the same hours here as I did in the U.K. I have a bigger house here, and the weather is better. However financially I was better off in the U.K. Why do people assume that here I will spend all of my free time with my family, doing "wholesome family" things, whereas in the U.K I would obviously be doing something else (sitting in the pub perhaps?)? If people are that way inclined, they will do it anywhere. Besides, they seem to forget that in the U.K, I actually had a lot of family to spend time with. Here, I am part of a very small family unit.

If I were to say that I would be having more holidays if I lived in the U.K, and driving a better car, people would jump down my throat about being too materialistic. They'd then go on in another thread about the bigger house with a pool they've just bought (Ooooh. It's soooo much better than what we were living in before....)! So many people talk about coming here for a better life with more leisure time, but this isn't always possible in a lot of cases. Many people have to work more hours here to make anything like they were before they left, which leaves them less time for family, holidays (coupled with the lesser annual leave allowance on average), and generally enjoying the "lifestyle" that is so heavily promoted.

And if you haven't already secured a job in Oz, make no mistake, it isn't easy, and whatever you might hear on the grapevine about how much you can expect to earn, don't believe it until the first payslip is in you hand. Only then can you pass comment on how much family time, the comparative cost and quality of living, and overall improvement in you circumstances the move to Oz has made. People who sit back in their armchair in rainy Grimsby or wherever, and spout on about all the free time, flash cars, nice houses etc etc they're going to have when they arrive are dreaming, and they will be sadly, in most cases, but not all, proved wrong when they arrive.

Swerv-o Apr 19th 2007 5:51 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 4665281)
A few more situations that you can put into words.

Attitudes toward women or among women shock many english people coming out here, not shock as in the racism type examples, just the plain backward attitude.

I think the last year most people heading back to Uk are doing so after being shocked at the workplace attitude toward staff. Heard that over and over in the last year.

Political attitudes and corruption in councils/politics shock once you get into that sort of stuff here, very corrupt.

I think there are also light moments when you get a culture shock like how many people have posted about turning up at a wedding/funeral to see bare feet and jeans, even if your used to near naked critters in the supermarket, someone in a singlet and jeans at a funeral still makes you :ohmy:

i still get shocked by the poverty here, its not in your face in these sort of areas, but get behind the suburbs and say into a medical centre/hospital and the amount of women living on a few hundred dollars a week while raising a kids is staggering.

Some of the political ideas, like offer anyone whos able to have a baby for $5000, nice for the sensible married couple, ridiculous for the amount of single teen or twenty women whos social circumstances or problems make such a sum of money look attractive. The social implications are bizzare and now after a few years of it obvious.

The news, be it the pakis are winning in sport or the crazy tallies that have to accompany everthing aussie, the death toll, the road toll the amount of aussies in a bus toll, being gruesome never stops the aussies position/ factor/number/position rearing its head:blink: :blink:

The cost of some things, like dental care, the shocking state of the health of some people needing basic care but not being able to afford it.

Skin cancer, seeing a clinic on every corner, seeing people with a multitude of crude scars across the back or face as they continue to have bits of cancer hacked off.

The hatred at certain events, like the sydney race riots to see the aussie flag being waved high in situations nobody could have any pride in, the anger hatred in those faces, quite scary.

The drought, fly in over a state that is completely brown, states that you read are green and lush. Live in a city with enough water to last eight months...

See a state ravaged by bushfire then hear a pom talking about how great it is it hasnt rained:eek:

England with sun, no australia with too much sun:lol:

I'll concur with a lot of that. I do think that the British media has a terrible fascination with finding British people caught up in natural disasters/plane crashes/student gun rampages/etc too though...

S

bridie Apr 19th 2007 5:59 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4665218)

I was just saying it's one thing that shocked me hearing that word used in everyday conversation, and I have heard Aussies use it in a derogatory way mainly too... (e.g. complaining about immigrants from non-white countries)

Alk, maybe you find Pom offensive but I dont.... just a personal thing I guess

Hutch Apr 19th 2007 5:59 am

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana (Post 4664910)
People who sit back in their armchair in rainy Grimsby or wherever, and spout on about all the free time, flash cars, nice houses etc etc they're going to have when they arrive are dreaming, and they will be sadly, in most cases, but not all, proved wrong when they arrive.

Very true. But next time - post under your real username. ;) :D

aston man Apr 19th 2007 6:00 am

i can only speak for myself,,yes its good that we are put right and the rose coloured specs are taken off by people who have had the experience of australia...but its like someone keep kicking you,your moving your family to the other side of the world ,selling most of your hard earned,disturbing your kids.........

and then you have to read about bare feet and sunday shopping,,,please...

most of us would give our right arm just to be given the chance of australia...

Hutch Apr 19th 2007 6:01 am

Incidentally - top thread - thoroughly enjoying it.

One of these days I'm going to start a sweepstake on the number of weeks a would-be migrant will last out here.... :lol:

bridie Apr 19th 2007 6:01 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4665244)
1. Not all of Australia is under water restrictions. And not just tropical (ie wet) areas like FNQ. Just south of Sydney is okay, if I remember rightly.

2. Why has Sydney got water restrictions? Because the rain doesn't always fall over the dams. Which are mostly built inland. And most people live by the coast. Therefore, there's a water shortage. Check out rainfall charts if you don't believe me. Or live inland, somewhere like Goulburn. Nice and dry there...

Go ahead, delude yourself into thinking Australia is just like the UK. Generalise away. If the better weather is the only thing you can think of that's different between the two countries, why not save yourself some money and buy a sun lamp and swap the bike for a car if getting wet is that awful (as you'll get wet here too).

The only reason we in the south west have any resitrictions at all is apparently because the peeps in Perth have restrictions and would be upset if we were seen to be using water as we liked...

In fact we had heavier restrictions in Kent, UK than we do here!!!

Hutch Apr 19th 2007 6:02 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4665315)
I was just saying it's one thing that shocked me hearing that word used in everyday conversation, and I have heard Aussies use it in a derogatory way mainly too... (e.g. complaining about immigrants from non-white countries)

Heard someone call Asians 'powerpoints' the other day (like, an aussie powerpoint ... ) :ohmy:

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4665325)
Incidentally - top thread - thoroughly enjoying it.

One of these days I'm going to start a sweepstake on the number of weeks a would-be migrant will last out here.... :lol:

I will give you money if you start that right now. :rofl:

bridie Apr 19th 2007 6:03 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4665319)

most of us would give our right arm just to be given the chance of australia...

Dont worry about the right arm, if you're prepared to leave your shoes in the bin at the Arrivals desk then maybe you'll get the chance ;) :lol:

bridie Apr 19th 2007 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4665328)
Heard someone call Asians 'powerpoints' the other day (like, an aussie powerpoint ... ) :ohmy:

Bizarre....

Amazulu Apr 19th 2007 6:04 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 4665281)
the shocking state of the health of some people needing basic care but not being able to afford it.

Disagree with this. There is a safety net for people who cannot 'afford' basic health care and hospitalisation is covered by medicare. If people choose not to use the system then that's their issue.

Hutch Apr 19th 2007 6:04 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4665326)
The only reason we in the south west have any resitrictions at all is apparently because the peeps in Perth have restrictions and would be upset if we were seen to be using water as we liked...

In fact we had heavier restrictions in Kent, UK than we do here!!!

lol!

We've been restriction free all year, despite the fact that Sydney hoovers giga-litres of water out of of the Shoalhaven River ...

Swerv-o Apr 19th 2007 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 4665329)
I will give you money if you start that right now. :rofl:

You're meant to be out running, not here encouraging gambling.

S

Oh hang it. $20 he lasts less than 6 months...

S

kez81 Apr 19th 2007 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4665335)
Disagree with this. There is a safety net for people who cannot 'afford' basic health care and hospitalisation is covered by medicare. If people choose not to use the system then that's their issue.

But let's not forget people on certain visa's arent entilted to medicare, thankfully we are but i could imagine the expense if we weren't.

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 4665340)
You're meant to be out running, not here encouraging gambling.

S

Oh hang it. $20 he lasts less than 6 months...

S

I've been. :D

(I'm now half dead.)

chels Apr 19th 2007 6:09 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4665315)

I'm uncomfortable about people using the term wog too, but it comes down to how its being used. Like the word nigger being used by black people, and the word poof being used by gays, some ethnic communities have appropriated the term to describe themselves. But if the term is being used by someone who is Anglo, for example, and it's being associated with negative values, it becomes offensive to both non-wogs and wogs themselves.

I don't tend to find the word Pom offensive, but when I was on the receiving end of abuse by an Australian who in addition to calling me a Pom and telling me to go back home, I have to say I found it incredibly offensive. Again, it was the context in which the term was used.

Many people speak English, but interpretation can vary according to culture, location, education etc. A root in England can be understood as something VERY different in Australia... :lol:

anawanahuanana Apr 19th 2007 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4665317)
Very true. But next time - post under your real username. ;) :D

I'm glad you agree!

And let me assure you, this is my 1 and only username. Been reading these forums for over 3 years now, and finally couldn't take anymore. Had to register and get posting!

Enjoy.....:thumbsup:

Hutch Apr 19th 2007 6:10 am

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana (Post 4665362)
I'm glad you agree!

And let me assure you, this is my 1 and only username. Been reading these forums for over 3 years now, and finally couldn't take anymore. Had to register and get posting!

Enjoy.....:thumbsup:

lol - okay. Post more, ya serial lurker! ;)