Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Originally Posted by stardust

Hi everyone just been reading the post from the user who isn't happy living in Perth
I too have posted of not enjoying my experience of emigrating to Sydney and just feel annoyed at the usual response "take it to the Moving back to Uk forum"
There are 5 families going back we know of, none of them are likely to post their news and I can see why, the reaction is hardly constructive is it. Pity I think those sort of posts can make people more aware of the things to be aware of and if people know the downsides they can plan for them, work out how to tackle that issue before the arrive, not try to sort it out when they have 3 kids in holiday accom and no bloody job!

I think tho for all the people cracking up about those sort of posts there are people who quietly take it in and arrive far more prepared simply because someone like you did bother to write about it. So I'll send ya some karma
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thats OK to say if it worked out for you, but what about all the ones going back who didnt do a research trip, nearly always the ones weve seen go back never visited first. People quote it sets them back 30/40/60 grand, I imagine the cost of selling houses, commissions, fees, shipping, currency fluctuations, weeks or months of unemployment, setting up costs, selling it all up again a and shipping it all back again is slightly more of a 'waste' than the cost of a few weeks temp accom and airfares on research.
Good point. Though I understand that it can be tight to get the money together for an initial trip, when you weigh it up against these points, it really does make sense to do one.

I can't believe that anybody would place the future wellbeing and prosperity of themsleves and their family at the mercy of a country and system they had never even visited before!

Many of the people that seem to be going back (IMO) do seem to be in industries where the states jerk them around for months after arrival with trade licencing etc, which prevents them from getting a good start in the first place. But then again, good research should prepare people for these problems.

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I dont mind reading negative things about any country, what I cant stand is people putting their own personal views across as if they are fact and everyone who doesnt agree must be wrong, plus they think because that's how they feel the place must be to blame.

For instance, I am fed up of hearing how awful Perth is because people walk around barefoot - so bloody what???? Doesnt mean you dont have to do it (I know I certainly want shoes on my feet unless I'm walking round my own home) so what's the big deal?

I didnt come on a reccie, couldnt afford it and TBH I thought I'd get cold feet if we came first (OH had been before) and I've not had one single bit of homesickness or wanted to go back, we've been here 18 months now.

I know of one couple going back who'd already been here twice before so doing a reccie is certainly no guarantee that things will work out for you. I guess a lot of people dont realise how much they will miss things until they've gone.

I agree with Biggy: you still have to get up and go to work, you still have bills to pay - it's LIFE here not one long holiday - but I certainly wouldnt swap it.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I can't believe that anybody would place the future wellbeing and prosperity of themsleves and their family at the mercy of a country and system they had never even visited before!
Good for you ! However in the REAL WORLD some of us are more than capable of doing our research in advance and are flexible to deal with whatever life throws at us.

The cold hard fact is, that 2 weeks in Oz as a 'reccie' is of limited use - it WON'T tell you much more than you can gain from research over the internet. It also WON'T tell you is how long it will take to get to work, what's the best/worst areas to live, how you will find a job etc.

If you want to go for a look first, great, wonderful idea - but don't pontifcate on other peoples motives for not - which may often be financial also.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:06 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazzap
The negative stuff has it's uses- taken with a pinch of salt.

It amazes me how many people seem to go having never even visited before.
I'm sure lots of people expect 'UK with sun' (the same kind of people who complain about Spain not having decent fish and chips etc )

I much prefer to read about those who have had it hard, but stuck it out and come good in the end.
I had never been to Oz before we came
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:11 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we couldnt afford to come over on a reccie either......and in our opinion we wouldnt have got a true impression of the place...as its totally different when yer in holiday mode to daily living.

the money that we would have spent on a reccie fully furnished our house...we had made up our minds we were comin and we were stayin end off lol
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:15 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Good for you ! However in the REAL WORLD some of us are more than capable of doing our research in advance and are flexible to deal with whatever life throws at us.

The cold hard fact is, that 2 weeks in Oz as a 'reccie' is of limited use - it WON'T tell you much more than you can gain from research over the internet. It also WON'T tell you is how long it will take to get to work, what's the best/worst areas to live, how you will find a job etc.

If you want to go for a look first, great, wonderful idea - but don't pontifcate on other peoples motives for not - which may often be financial also.
I'm not just talking about a recce trip, but research in general, and it is a sad truth that a lot of people don't do enough of it.

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:51 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazzap
The negative stuff has it's uses- taken with a pinch of salt.

It amazes me how many people seem to go having never even visited before.
I'm sure lots of people expect 'UK with sun' (the same kind of people who complain about Spain not having decent fish and chips etc )

I much prefer to read about those who have had it hard, but stuck it out and come good in the end.
I agree and my dad is one of those in spain in a rural illage and wont touch tapas as you "dont know what youre getting!! "

As for uk v oz
What in everyday life is so different between the two countries except better weather?

Do people speak a different language?
Do you have to work or not?
Did you have to travel to the beach for more than 20 minutes as you couldnt afford a house by the ocean?
Are there no taxes or laws or stupid red tape in oz?
Are there no drugs/crime/idiots

So why isnt it the UK with sun

im not having a go i just would like an answer as i cant see it any other way. The only reason we are moving there is for the weather. I fully expect everyhting to be as good or bad as the u. I dont care about people in barefoot or not in next clothing. Live and let live as long as im warm.

Live in piss it down for 11 months manchester and be a motorbiker and youll know what i mean.

al
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think it's like the UK with better weather either.

It's the little things I guess: although some things are similar to the UK there are also American influences.

Sense of humour is a big thing that's different, sometimes you'll say something as a joke that a Pom would just laugh at but you get a strange look as the Aussies obviously dont understand what you're on about or think you're serious, plus there are many Aussies who think Benny Hill on a Saturday night is absolutley hilarious...

And words they use for things are different which can lead to confusion, my Aussie friends think it's hilarious when I mention that I have to hoover the house, they call trousers pants which I still havent got used to, there's loads of words that are different and you do sometimes get looked at like you've got two heads if you ask in a shop for something and you've used the UK word without realising it's called something else here!

I dont know, it's hard to put a finger on exactly what is different, like I said it's lots of little things really that add up to a big difference. Of course, there are positives and negatives like anywhere, best to come with an open mind and dont expect it to be like anywhere else.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:28 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I dont think it's like the UK with better weather either.

It's the little things I guess: although some things are similar to the UK there are also American influences.

Sense of humour is a big thing that's different, sometimes you'll say something as a joke that a Pom would just laugh at but you get a strange look as the Aussies obviously dont understand what you're on about or think you're serious, plus there are many Aussies who think Benny Hill on a Saturday night is absolutley hilarious...

And words they use for things are different which can lead to confusion, my Aussie friends think it's hilarious when I mention that I have to hoover the house, they call trousers pants which I still havent got used to, there's loads of words that are different and you do sometimes get looked at like you've got two heads if you ask in a shop for something and you've used the UK word without realising it's called something else here!

I dont know, it's hard to put a finger on exactly what is different, like I said it's lots of little things really that add up to a big difference. Of course, there are positives and negatives like anywhere, best to come with an open mind and dont expect it to be like anywhere else.
So apart from a phrase book needed and a sense of humour from the seventies what is different

al
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:31 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe there are many posters here who believe they are better off in Oz but if they really analysed their decision to move would realise their previous lives offered them more.

They choose to sweep that sentiment under the carpet by putting their fingers in their ears and shouting ...

Blah Blah Blah Blah ...

Sometimes a bad decision is hard to admit.

I am full of admiration to those posters who give an honest and frank opinion on how things sit.

Originally Posted by stardust
Hi everyone just been reading the post from the user who isn't happy living in Perth
I too have posted of not enjoying my experience of emigrating to Sydney and just feel annoyed at the usual response "take it to the Moving back to Uk forum"

It is like a lot of you people can't take to hear anything negative or anyone who is not living in a mansion with pool, swimming in sea everyday, sunbathing and enjoying BBQ's every night with their regions of Australian friends. You know a bit of realism about the move might do you good.
I personally feel that before you emmigrate is the best time to read of other people's DIFFERENT experiences.

I am not talking about negativity but I for one would have like to have known how hard it is for a qualified nurse and teacher to actually get work over here or how bad traffic is in most of the cities (yes I know they are cities and you should expect some traffic but 1 hour jams are the norm even an hours drive out of the city)

There are good and bad things about Oz the beaches are beautiful, but it is too expensive for most to live close to them, the people we have meet have all been really friendy but it is hard to make new friends, like it would be anywhere!

Anyway sorry everyone rant over (having a bad day today) just think there should be a bit of a balance of this site and everyones opinion is valid
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:33 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
So why isnt it the UK with sun

I truly hope that's a tongue in cheek post, designed to provoke a reaction. 'Cause if it's not, you're in for one enourmous shock.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Like I said, I cant say what the difference is as such, but it is there...

Maybe it's the family thing, Aussies definitely do like to spend more time with their families especially kids, you always see them in the parks at weekends, big groups having BBQs and playing cricket or whatever.

Less emphasis on labels (certainly in my neck of the woods) no looking down on people because they are wearing something from Best & Less that cost $5.

That is just a couple more examples, like I said it's little things that add up...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I truly hope that's a tongue in cheek post, designed to provoke a reaction. 'Cause if it's not, you're in for one enourmous shock.
Bugger, have to "spread" before I can give you K again...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Geordie George

Answer the question then please to inform me.

I have given my view earlier why i think it is

Please change my mind or open my eyes as to HOW different it is.

Just sying that it is isnt helping anyone

thanks

al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.